Am I being too nit picky

Kubotajoe15

Equipment
B2601
Apr 24, 2015
Grand Rapids
So I just joined OTT since I bought a new B2601, with FEL pallet forks and rear blade, and here is a little hopefully as short as possible story.
I ordered the B2601 from the local dealer, had to wait for them to receive one, no big deal. When it arrived I went and signed papers, and was told it would be delivered Thursday 4-16. on Thursday I received a call telling me that it wouldn't be delivered till Friday. I was more sad than upset but I figured better to have them assemble it correctly than rush it. Now for the fun part, the first thing incorrect was apparently a mis-communication, I originally wanted turf tires and it was delivered with industrial tires. (this I am glad happened in the end) it wasn't detailed, looks like it was left out in the rain storm that happened Thursday night, they forgot the linchpins for the rear blade told me they would ups them, the FEL had at least 3 points that were not greased and it was squeaking during first use, and the last thing was after I had about 5 hours on it I was unloading a bucket full of dirt on top of a pile and I heard a loud rattle like something hit the fan blade and as I backed down the dirt pile there was a new shiny bolt lying there. I immediately shut it down and looked everywhere for a missing bolt with no luck finding a spot for it. Even checked the fan they were all there, so back to work I went. A few hours later when putting it up for the night I noticed a dent pointing outward from the hood, wondering how on earth a dent could have gotten in the hood from the underside I thought about that mystery bolt and sure enough when holding that bolt up next to it looks like a good possibility that could have caused it and it makes sense as it sounded like something hit the fan blade. I called the dealer and they are going to come pick it up and try to determine where the bolt came from and if it could have made the dent and possibly replace the hood under warranty. I am having questionable thoughts about this dealer and don’t know if I really even want them touching my new toy again. Am I being too nit-picky, I know down the road this thing will probably get a battle scar or 2 but it is brand new and was a major purchase as I bought the biggest I could afford, and I would like to keep it as nice as possible as long as possible. Sorry for the long rant. I attached a pic of the underside dent and bolt.

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
No, flying bolts are bad news. It means something wasn't checked right, which sadly, is pretty common. It really speaks to how much of a detail oriented person did the assembly.

Personally, if I ran a delearship, my AD for my assembly mechanic would read: "WANTED: The most Anal-Retentive, OCD, Quality Control Monster, Tractor Mechanic on the planet! Good Pay, Good Benefits, willing to work with your other quirks but vehicles that you work on MUST NEVER COME BACK to dealer for repair items missed during assembly/repair. This is your dream job... bonuses based on your performance!"

I would hold the dealer accountable for anything like you describe, your tractor is new and should not be tossing parts around, especially from the inside, like you describe.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
No, flying bolts are bad news. It means something wasn't checked right, which sadly, is pretty common. It really speaks to how much of a detail oriented person did the assembly.

Personally, if I ran a delearship, my AD for my assembly mechanic would read: "WANTED: The most Anal-Retentive, OCD, Quality Control Monster, Tractor Mechanic on the planet! Good Pay, Good Benefits, willing to work with your other quirks but vehicles that you work on MUST NEVER COME BACK to dealer for repair items missed during assembly/repair. This is your dream job... bonuses based on your performance!"

I would hold the dealer accountable for anything like you describe, your tractor is new and should not be tossing parts around, especially from the inside, like you describe.
I don't think you will see any opinions that differ from the above. Well said ShaunRH!

Piper792

Equipment
B3350
Apr 25, 2015
Barlow, Ohio
Yes well said. Reminder check your machine over when the dealer delivers it. Yeah it's there job, but it might just keep you out of a jam and being pissed off first time you use the darn thing. It's not like we are buying $500 tractors from Lowes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There is nothing wrong with expecting everything to be perfect. Its new, it should be perfect. Apprentices are the assemblers,inspectors. Perfection is an acquired taste.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Putting a dent in a new machine is your option, not theirs. I would demand a new hood (nearly $1000!!!). And look at your fan to see if it got cracked launching the bolt.

Hopefully just a loose bolt from assembly. If all else fails, make 'em give you a couple cans of Kubota Orange II and any decals nearby. This paint is not clear coated and is very easy to touch up. A paintless dent guy can work out the dent and then you can touch it up. The point is, you shouldn't have to!!!

The guys are tired of seeing these pics but, the last pic really is the same hood as the first pic... :)

Attachments

Kubotajoe15

Equipment
B2601
Apr 24, 2015
Grand Rapids
Everybody's right, it should be perfect when I received it. The dealer picked it up yesterday afternoon so we shall see what happens, what kind of ticks me off is I have tons of dirt to move and will have ~35 yards of gravel to move later this week and I don't have my new tool to do it with. I plan to call the dealer today and see whats going on, and if its going to be more than a few days I am going to ask them for a loaner or tell them I'll send them the bill for a rental.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Everybody's right, it should be perfect when I received it. The dealer picked it up yesterday afternoon so we shall see what happens, what kind of ticks me off is I have tons of dirt to move and will have ~35 yards of gravel to move later this week and I don't have my new tool to do it with. I plan to call the dealer today and see whats going on, and if its going to be more than a few days I am going to ask them for a loaner or tell them I'll send them the bill for a rental.

Joe,

tell to bring you another machine - tell them time IS MONEY and you are running out of both!:D:eek: , and then you can iron out the wrinkles on THEIR machine......tell them to takeeeee your time fixing YOURS....and you run theirs without the TLC that you would give yours.

I am sure that they fix you new baby right up!!!

Let us know what happens!:)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
KBJ,

I know how you feel... I had 60 tons of gravel delivered two days before my tractor was due for warranty service on my 3-pt. It was five weeks before I got my tractor back. When it rains...

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
So I just joined OTT since I bought a new B2601, with FEL pallet forks and rear blade, and here is a little hopefully as short as possible story.
I ordered the B2601 from the local dealer, had to wait for them to receive one, no big deal. When it arrived I went and signed papers, and was told it would be delivered Thursday 4-16. on Thursday I received a call telling me that it wouldn't be delivered till Friday. I was more sad than upset but I figured better to have them assemble it correctly than rush it. Now for the fun part, the first thing incorrect was apparently a mis-communication, I originally wanted turf tires and it was delivered with industrial tires. (this I am glad happened in the end) it wasn't detailed, looks like it was left out in the rain storm that happened Thursday night, they forgot the linchpins for the rear blade told me they would ups them, the FEL had at least 3 points that were not greased and it was squeaking during first use, and the last thing was after I had about 5 hours on it I was unloading a bucket full of dirt on top of a pile and I heard a loud rattle like something hit the fan blade and as I backed down the dirt pile there was a new shiny bolt lying there. I immediately shut it down and looked everywhere for a missing bolt with no luck finding a spot for it. Even checked the fan they were all there, so back to work I went. A few hours later when putting it up for the night I noticed a dent pointing outward from the hood, wondering how on earth a dent could have gotten in the hood from the underside I thought about that mystery bolt and sure enough when holding that bolt up next to it looks like a good possibility that could have caused it and it makes sense as it sounded like something hit the fan blade. I called the dealer and they are going to come pick it up and try to determine where the bolt came from and if it could have made the dent and possibly replace the hood under warranty. I am having questionable thoughts about this dealer and don’t know if I really even want them touching my new toy again. Am I being too nit-picky, I know down the road this thing will probably get a battle scar or 2 but it is brand new and was a major purchase as I bought the biggest I could afford, and I would like to keep it as nice as possible as long as possible. Sorry for the long rant. I attached a pic of the underside dent and bolt.
I would be more worried about where the bolt came from than the dent in the hood. However, you should get a new hood from the dealer AND they should find out where the bolt came from. Kubota does not include spare bolts loose under the hood. I would be checking the water pump and the fan blade bolts for a missing one.

Kubotajoe15

Equipment
B2601
Apr 24, 2015
Grand Rapids
Well the tractor was delivered back to me yesterday morning, they told me the bolt was an extra somehow. (and they gave it back to me.) They said they checked everything from top to bottom and there was not anywhere it could have came from. They also said they are starting the paperwork to get the hood replaced under warranty and that will take some time. at least I have my tractor back and hopefully the service team actually looked it over and its not really missing a bolt somewhere, I did check the fan and area under the hood myself and everything looks in place. Now to wait on a hood.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Glad they are taking care of the hood :D I can see how an extra bolt could be left in there during install, or assembly. All it takes is for it to roll under something and the person not realizing. They think they got shorted a bolt and go grab another :rolleyes:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
If that was an extra bolt laying somewhere on the engine or frame, what launched it with enough force to dent the hood? I would be going over the rotating parts carefully to determine where it came from. You need to be looking for identical bolts not just a missing bolt in case the dealer replaced it, but did not own up to it.

Larry

Kubotajoe15

Equipment
B2601
Apr 24, 2015
Grand Rapids
If that was an extra bolt laying somewhere on the engine or frame, what launched it with enough force to dent the hood? I would be going over the rotating parts carefully to determine where it came from. You need to be looking for identical bolts not just a missing bolt in case the dealer replaced it, but did not own up to it.

Larry

To me it sounded like it hit the cooling fan blade. I inspected the fan blade, belt and radiator and they all look good to me. I didn't even see where it could have hit the fan, but it sure sounded like it and that's the only thing I can think of that would launch it that hard.

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
Hey Joe! (sounds like a hendrix song) :D

Its pretty much par for the course I would imagine. Some get lucky with a real impeccable assembly, but my faith in most people, dealers, etc…is just toast!

I got my new B2601 the other day. All went well during initial delivery inspection/training. I have no issue with my sales guy/dealer (he is same one who delivered it) and he has been very good about dealing with any issues, so I am happy about that.

I spent a good portion of the day after he left sitting and reading the manuals and going over this machine with a fine tooth comb BEFORE doing and digging and believe me that was not easy!

I found many assembly issues that were just oversights and sloppy work. I fixed most myself and the dealer came back out and assisted me with the rest. I gave him the complete list of all the things I did and showed him so he could work on their attention to detail a bit. Now if this was some non mechanically inclined person this could of really caused a terrible experience for them. I was pretty annoyed about it all, but I had no problem just fixing the stuff myself. Like you eluded to, did I really want those jamokes hands on my machine anyway?

Just discovered last night (when I finally got a chance to play….er I mean work:cool:) they missed a zerk greasing on my main boom swing as it was creaking at less than 3hrs. No worries, I knew exactly what it was and it is obviously not greased like the rest so I will just take care of it.

Ofcourse we should all expect perfection when spending this kind of dough, but more likely than not, it aint gonna happen. NO ONE is gonna take care of our stuff like we will.

So I urge all new owners to just stop and take breath and read the manuals and go over everything very closely and resist the urge to just jump on and start digging!

So Joe, I have a favor to ask. I have posted already but don't seem to be getting any replies, probably because there are not many of these out there yet and they are too busy playing on their new machine.

I still have one unresolved issue, that is the only one that does not seem to be an assembly issue. I was hoping you could test yours out and let me know how yours is working.

When I raise my 3pt hitch, nothing happens until I get to about #4 on the position scale. From there is works fine and seems to be going all the way up and down. It just annoys me as it has 10 positions and I would like the full resolution. Dealer is looking into it as well as me online here. We followed the linkage and don't see any obvious adjustments other than a couple nuts where the shaft goes into the tranny. One does seem to be a locknut. We both decided better to research a bit before messing with it.

So do you have a problem with yours or does yours function throughout the entire scale?

Good luck with your new baby and really glad that bolt only damaged the hood and not anything else. I feel your pain man!

Thank you

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Had a few problems with mine when new, but not to you guys extent. PTO switch mounted backwards so when it was engaged it was in the stop position. My tractor is a category II 3 point, but adaptable to cat I with spacers (bushings). Well they forgot to put the spacers in, which is real obvious because of all the slop at the connection points with the implement. They put the pins that connect the bottom arms of the 3 pt backwards. I lost a couple of pins before I figured out what they'd done. Looking in the mower's manual it shows which way to insert them. If backwards the cotter pins that keep those pins attached get knocked out. It's not a good feeling when you look back at your mower and it's being dragged by only one of the lower arms of the 3 pt.
I went back and forth on whether to get the R-1's or R-4 tires. Finally decided on the R-4's. Guess what, it was delivered with the R-1's. Dealer said to try them out and if I didn't like them they would swap. After a weekend with them I decided to keep them. There are times when I really need the ag's so all is good in the long run. Oh yeah, they put a fan in the canopy which quit working. It was solved by using a 20 rather than 15 amp fuse.

Glad all that is behind me. It's aggravating to pay that much and have the hassles of getting it right when all it would take is a little attention to details.

Good luck you guys! Hope you are through you problems.

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
I'm taking delivery of my new B2601 this coming Wednesday. Can we make a list of things to check? Could be a valuable list for a lot of new owners.

1. Check engine oil, Hydraulic oil and axle oil levels

2. Go over loader checking for grease in all hinged and moving parts

3. disconnect and re-connect hydraulic hoses.

4. Check air in all four tires.

5. Start engine with hood up checking for any leaking fluids, Fuel, oil. water

6. Operate loader and MMM, checking controls and general operation integrity.

7. Go over entire tractor checking for ding, dents and scratches

8. Check dust boots on front end

9. Work lights and check all electric functions

10. Check operation of stabilizers, top hitch and arms on 3 pt hitch.

11. Check ROPS

12. Remove and re-install loader and SSQA

13. Remove and re-install MMM

What else?

Last edited: