Aluminum Friday

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Generally I weld thousands of feet of stainless a year. Then somedays like last friday you switch to aluminum. First project was from a leaf driving tree hugger when wrecks his mountain bikes quite often brings them for repair. He always has the latest on global warming by the way. His time he told me after years of research hes figured out that "water vapor" is causing gobal warming. Not car/truck emissions. Large hydro flooded dams are causing water vapor and THAT is causing climate change.
Running a business you meet alot of folks.
The other friday project was a weeding cart for a lady who brought me a photo of one made from wood. It looks like a massage on wheels. You lay on it. Weed. Pull yourself along with your hands...a nice lady and no water vapor talk.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe the water vapor guy could install some solar panels and small motor on the ladies weed cart!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
What’s your rig for welding aluminum? Just curious.

Saw some water coming out of the tailpipe on my truck. I might be the person responsible for climate change

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would have told the tree hugger to come back when it was windy enough to run the welder on wind power.

Reactions: 1 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
If he quit hugging them and steered AROUND the trees, his frame wouldn't need welding in the first place ;).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Generally I weld thousands of feet of stainless a year. Then somedays like last friday you switch to aluminum. First project was from a leaf driving tree hugger when wrecks his mountain bikes quite often brings them for repair. He always has the latest on global warming by the way. His time he told me after years of research hes figured out that "water vapor" is causing gobal warming. Not car/truck emissions. Large hydro flooded dams are causing water vapor and THAT is causing climate change.
Running a business you meet alot of folks.
The other friday project was a weeding cart for a lady who brought me a photo of one made from wood. It looks like a massage on wheels. You lay on it. Weed. Pull yourself along with your hands...a nice lady and no water vapor talk.
I like the cart. I’m afraid a nap would jump me before much weeding was done.
I too am curious about the Al welding process. I am learning the metal bonding processes. Al is next on my list. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The aluminum cart I used a Millermatic 210 with a spoolgun. .030 wire . It really penetrates and makes fabrication quick. 12 hrs start to finish to complete the cart.
The bike frame I used a Miller syncrowave 180 with foot peddle control. The bike tube is about 1/6" thick. Prep the broken joint, clean it grind off the powercoating, align the break, tack several places, alignment is good. Weld both outsides then both insides. Then the bracing.
Today's oddity thru the door was a 1996 window glass frame from a westen star truck. Customer said it fit like a glove. Hes no longer able to find parts to fit his log truck.

Attachments

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
The aluminum cart I used a Millermatic 210 with a spoolgun. .030 wire . It really penetrates and makes fabrication quick. 12 hrs start to finish to complete the cart.
The bike frame I used a Miller syncrowave 180 with foot peddle control. The bike tube is about 1/6" thick. Prep the broken joint, clean it grind off the powercoating, align the break, tack several places, alignment is good. Weld both outsides then both insides. Then the bracing.
Today's oddity thru the door was a 1996 window glass frame from a westen star truck. Customer said it fit like a glove. Hes no longer able to find parts to fit his log truck.
excellent work!

Glad to see hand crafted isn't dead.