Alternator upgrade

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thought I'd ask and see if it's possible...

I see the M9000 cab tractor takes a 60 amp alternator while the open station takes a 40 amp. I would like to change the one on the open station to a 60 if possible as I've added accessory illumination to mine. Both take 1000+ CCA starting batteries.

The cab unit has an AC compressor, the OS don't obviously but both alternators are single belt drive.

My question is, can I just swap in a 60 in place of the 40 or is there something else involved?

Pile of them on Flea-Bay for sale I see.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sure looks the same, (if you can trust the pics.) like a simple swap: 45 Amp: https://www.amazon.com/ALTERNATOR-UTILITY-TRACTOR-1998-2009-1C01164011/dp/B01N7XQGEP/ref=sr_
Or for a LOT LESS: https://www.amazon.com/ALTERNATOR-K...Kubota+m9000+alternator&qid=1605026830&sr=8-4

60 Amp: https://www.amazon.com/ALTERNATOR-U...Kubota+m9000+alternator&qid=1605026261&sr=8-9

If you use Amazon Prime..... you’ve got a FREE shipping and FREE return if you don’t actually install it and..when you get it ...it looks like it’s NOT a swap. OR you could order one of each and compare them on the workbench and return the one you don’t like...or both.

The Kubota alternators have internal regulators, so there’d be nothing else to consider ...except the output-terminal wire-gauge.... be certain your output can handle the increased Amps. AWG 6 gauge will handle either outputs.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
With all the recalls Kubota had involving freezing crank case vents where the solution involved heating the vent and a bigger alternator, my dealer has boxes of alternators from almost new tractors.

Might be worth while to inquire where you live.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'll do that Dave. George, the cheaper one on Amazon is a 45 amp. As a rule I don't buy from Amazon. Don't care for it's owner, Bezos

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'll do that Dave. George, the cheaper one on Amazon is a 45 amp. As a rule I don't buy from Amazon. Don't care for it's owner, Bezos
They didn't do that modification down here, Kubota decided not cold enough, so local dealers might not have those alternators lying around. Might be willing to ask their buddies further north.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2 comments
1) I clicked both links, and both alts say 'currently unavailable'......

2) going from 40A to 45A is NOT a worthwhile upgrade, even IF the alternator was free !

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
2 comments
1) I clicked both links, and both alts say 'currently unavailable'......

2) going from 40A to 45A is NOT a worthwhile upgrade, even IF the alternator was free !
Don't want a 45 amp, I want a 60 amp like I have on the M9000 cab tractor.

I have no idea what the 'modification everyone is referring to is anyway.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Don't want a 45 amp, I want a 60 amp like I have on the M9000 cab tractor.

I have no idea what the 'modification everyone is referring to is anyway.
The new big Kubotas that you hate so much had a problem regenerating in bitterly cold weather due to lines that "froze up". The fix involved heating and insulating them, and installing a bigger alternator.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The new big Kubotas that you hate so much had a problem regenerating in bitterly cold weather due to lines that "froze up". The fix involved heating and insulating them, and installing a bigger alternator.

I don't 'hate' anything or anyone. People use that term way too loosely today. I don't care for the emissions stuff, but that's it and I'm fortunate to own 2 icons that Kubota built. I consider myself lucky in that respect. Just like the 4020 show tractor I have, the M9's are classics.

I need a higher output alternator because I'm adding illumination the the open station and the stock 40 is marginal, especially with the 1050 CCA battery I run.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interestingly, big trucks had the same issue. DEF freezes at 32 (f) solid so the big trucks needed mullion heaters on the DEF lines, but then they already had the electrical systems to handle the added load. Never knew about the Kubota issue.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Not just 'big' trucks ! Small diesel pickups have heaters in the DEF systems as well. at least one I KNOW about. The 'computer wouldn't let the engine restart as the DEF was 'thick'( blown fuse = not heat...)
NO msg onthe fancy screen to tell you that....grrrrrrr

as for Amazon nonsense....they look at my ISP location and decide I can't buy 'locally' ( Canada). what they don't KNOW is that I have a USA address

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ll contribute my experience with DB Electrical: My alternator was no good when I bought my 400-hour M4700. (It only put out 11 volts.)
Shocked at Kubota’s price for it, I bought one from DB via Amazon for $70. It was a simple bolt-on and works great.... impossible to distinguish from the OEM. (Remember, the Chinese are famous for copy-catting and this is no exception.). Two years later ...still working perfectly.
The local automotive starter/alternator shop wanted $180 to repair my failed alt, but online via Ebay I found the internal regulator for $18. It was a simple disassembly / re-assembly and took it in to AutoZone for their free test... works great! Now I have a spare.... if only that cheap chinese copy would fail... :unsure:

A month or so ago you’ll recall I was having starter problems. I jumped-the-gun and ordered a $89 starter from DB via Amazon again. (Unlike Flip, I don’t care if Bezos makes a buck selling low-cost and shipping free to me... especially when it’s to my benefit.... I believe in free-enterprise.)
Turned out not to be the starter, and I discovered the dirty relay only an hour after ordering the DB starter. I cancelled the order thru Amazon, but it shipped anyway and after it arrived I tried to return it.... but DB wanted me to pay the $9 return freight. I complained to Amazon who agreed that records show I cancelled before shipment, and Amazon contacted DB, and a few days later DB emailed me a free-return shipping label. Maybe Jeff called them personally, I don’t know, but Amazon did right by me, and I’m not going to avoid doing business with a company that does what they promise as long as they stay on the right side of the law.

So... DB sells good stuff as far as I know and Amazon can be a good way to buy the stuff, IMO. I’ve also bought DB via Ebay, but I’ll bet Ebay would not have made DB pay the return-freight for shipping a cancelled order.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Geroge, you can do as you wish and so can I. My politics are obvious opposite op yours. Neither here nor there. DB does not specify the amperage output of the alternator listed in the previous post, so I emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply. Must be a 60 amp and I can buy direct so no Bezo's involvement, fine with me. Good price and I'm sure it's Chinese with rice paper insulation.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geroge, you can do as you wish and so can I. My politics are obvious opposite op yours. Neither here nor there. DB does not specify the amperage output of the alternator listed in the previous post, so I emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply. Must be a 60 amp and I can buy direct so no Bezo's involvement, fine with me. Good price and I'm sure it's Chinese with rice paper insulation.
SidCrapFlop, I try to keep my politics separate from my business dealings. Everyone has a right to both. If you don’t like his (or Soros or Koch Bros or foreign-govt’s meddling in our politics then work to ban Citizens United).

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
SidCrapFlop, I try to keep my politics separate from my business dealings. Everyone has a right to both. If you don’t like his (or Soros or Koch Bros or foreign-govt’s meddling in our politics then work to ban Citizens United).
Politics and business always intermingle whether you like it or not. How it is and no one is immune.

I just want a new alternator and I'm waiting for DB to reply to my inquiry.