Alternator upgrade

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you can find a U.S. based VPN service, that should solve your problem.
I deal with quite a few Canadian customers and most of them have a US address in Buffalo, NY. Much easier to ship to a US address. Not sure how it works, but it does and I don't ask questions.

Interestingly, I'm 60 miles from the border but if I send anything to Canada, the ship cost is huge and it all has to have customs clearance and a pile of paperwork that I have to submit whereas, shipping to Buffalo is domestic and no paperwork.

I don't make the rules, I just abide by them.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’ll contribute my experience with DB Electrical: My alternator was no good when I bought my 400-hour M4700. (It only put out 11 volts.)
Shocked at Kubota’s price for it, I bought one from DB via Amazon for $70. It was a simple bolt-on and works great.... impossible to distinguish from the OEM. (Remember, the Chinese are famous for copy-catting and this is no exception.). Two years later ...still working perfectly.
The local automotive starter/alternator shop wanted $180 to repair my failed alt, but online via Ebay I found the internal regulator for $18. It was a simple disassembly / re-assembly and took it in to AutoZone for their free test... works great! Now I have a spare.... if only that cheap chinese copy would fail... :unsure:

A month or so ago you’ll recall I was having starter problems. I jumped-the-gun and ordered a $89 starter from DB via Amazon again. (Unlike Flip, I don’t care if Bezos makes a buck selling low-cost and shipping free to me... especially when it’s to my benefit.... I believe in free-enterprise.)
Turned out not to be the starter, and I discovered the dirty relay only an hour after ordering the DB starter. I cancelled the order thru Amazon, but it shipped anyway and after it arrived I tried to return it.... but DB wanted me to pay the $9 return freight. I complained to Amazon who agreed that records show I cancelled before shipment, and Amazon contacted DB, and a few days later DB emailed me a free-return shipping label. Maybe Jeff called them personally, I don’t know, but Amazon did right by me, and I’m not going to avoid doing business with a company that does what they promise as long as they stay on the right side of the law.

So... DB sells good stuff as far as I know and Amazon can be a good way to buy the stuff, IMO. I’ve also bought DB via Ebay, but I’ll bet Ebay would not have made DB pay the return-freight for shipping a cancelled order.
Too bad you did not have a need to install that starter. You might have had another positive report on cheap replacements from China working just fine. I bought a fuel cut off solenoid for my BX that looked Identical on the outside to the OEM unit, and performs just fine over several months now.

A guy I used to work with also needed a starter for his BX22, and bought one off ebay or amazon, and it worked just fine for the year or so until I retired, and may be still working six years later for all I know. I should ask him...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Too bad you did not have a need to install that starter. You might have had another positive report on cheap replacements from China working just fine. I bought a fuel cut off solenoid for my BX that looked Identical on the outside to the OEM unit, and performs just fine over several months now.

A guy I used to work with also needed a starter for his BX22, and bought one off ebay or amazon, and it worked just fine for the year or so until I retired, and may be still working six years later for all I know. I should ask him...
I replaced the fuel cut on my M9 cab 2 years ago but I bought OEM instead. Price was not that much more actually. About 20 bucks I think.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: If you can find a U.S. based VPN service, that should solve your problem.

No what WOULD solve the problem is to have Amazon to accept me as a customer WHEREVER I'm in the World. Just because I'm not in the country where the website is, is a rediculous reason to not accept my money.
Other webbased companies don't care where I am. Most allow for both a 'mailing' address and a 'shipping' address. Heck I order microcomputers, from the largest US company and they're shipped from Thailand,usually within 3-4 days.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Could be because Bezos' is a hypocrite..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I replaced the fuel cut on my M9 cab 2 years ago but I bought OEM instead. Price was not that much more actually. About 20 bucks I think.
In my case it was a difference of something like $30 delivered VS $120 plus shipping. Worth the risk and totally satisfied so far. Actually the original Kubota solenoid was falling apart, with the back cover open, not that this means anything after 16 years...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
re: If you can find a U.S. based VPN service, that should solve your problem.

No what WOULD solve the problem is to have Amazon to accept me as a customer WHEREVER I'm in the World. Just because I'm not in the country where the website is, is a rediculous reason to not accept my money.
Other webbased companies don't care where I am. Most allow for both a 'mailing' address and a 'shipping' address. Heck I order microcomputers, from the largest US company and they're shipped from Thailand,usually within 3-4 days.
What you say is actually true and common sense really. I wonder what the logic is behind the Amazon approach?

Edit: I have run into the same thing with on line banking. If in Japan, I cannot log into my local bank. It just says try again later, without any explanation. But with the VPN I use, using a USA based server, log in is immediate. This could be a major issue when outside of the country. Since the VPN works, I never bothered to contact and complain to them. I guess I should...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This might be a security issue (int’l terrorism-wise) as I have a bank acct with a particular bank which has world-wide presence but will only allow me to access my acct from within the U.S....OR... from one of their bank lobby’s with their employee present.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Politics and business always intermingle whether you like it or not. How it is and no one is immune.

I just want a new alternator and I'm waiting for DB to reply to my inquiry.
Flip, I just want you to know that the mis-spelling of your name in my last post was a deliberate play-on-words ... simply as a joke... after you so-badly mis-spelled my own name in your previous-post.... Hope you’re not offended by my little joke.

As for this last post of yours... It is not correct. Politics and business apparently DOES intermingle in YOUR case.... as you’ve demonstrated you intermingle them in your choice not to do business with Bezos. ... and that’s just fine... it’s your privilege.
There’s an insurance agent in my nearest township with wihich I will never do business because they are so stoopid as to post what I consider outrageous political signs in their business location. DOH!
The insurance agent I WILL do business with (and do) ... might actually share the same political views as doofus..... but doesn’t rub my nose in it so I’m willing to deal with him .... in othr words, He respectfully allows others to have their own views without pre-disposing political views upon his customers. If I wanted to know his politics.... I’ll ask.... Otherwise, if you want my business.... keep yours to yourself.

BTW, you’re not the only one who complains about Bezos..I get it: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/ama...come-taxes-for-the-first-time-since-2016.html

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I never get offended Geo......lol

Even if you don't have real fuel tanks on your M..... 😀

Ordered one direct from DB today. No Bezos in between party for me. Free shipping anyway and no Prime (whatever that is). Guess I'll 'donate' the 45 amp one to my dealer, maybe he can use it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I never get offended Geo......lol

Even if you don't have real fuel tanks on your M..... 😀

Ordered one direct from DB today. No Bezos in between party for me. Free shipping anyway and no Prime (whatever that is). Guess I'll 'donate' the 45 amp one to my dealer, maybe he can use it.
What the “link” to the one you bought?