All I want for Christmas this year is a safe launch!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Not sure how many of you have been folowing this but it is about to launch. I started following the build WAY to early - lol. It has been a long wait! I'll be up early on Christmas morning this year for sure.

Reactions: 5 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
It's the future, looking into the past.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This scope will see things that we cannot even imagine! I too hope it goes perfectly! I too have been following it since the start.

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
While attending an Optical Society conference in AZ years ago, NASA had brought a mock up of the JW to display. The display piece was on a trailer placed in the parking lot out front of the conference venue. Mighty impressive even as just an idea .

We were still celebrating putting corrective eye glasses on the Hubble ;-)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It's the future, looking into the past.
I was explaining to my youngest son a few years ago about the speed of light and how we can't see that far back because the light hasn't gotten here yet. It took him a few but when he "got it" you could tell it blew his mind.

We should be able to reach out a little further with this baby.

For you guys that have not been following this, the James Webb Space Telescope will be placed behind the moon, there will be no repair trips to this one like Hubble (in low earth orbit). This is a build it once, right and let it rip.

My BIL (in insurance) was laughing saying "how would you like to be the underwriter on that one!" - I just shook my head and said "don't laugh, we are the underwriter" - SMH.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
This one still blows his mind.

We can't actually see anything. All we see is the light reflected from it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

For you guys that have not been following this, the James Webb Space Telescope will be placed behind the moon, there will be no repair trips to this one like Hubble (in low earth orbit). This is a build it once, right and let it rip.
Really? Seems unlikely, as the moon revolves around the earth...so the telescope would also need to revolve around the earth, to stay behind the moon...but what do I know?

I too hope for a perfect launch and placement, and that everything else that has to work right, works right.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Really? Seems unlikely, as the moon revolves around the earth...so the telescope would also need to revolve around the earth, to stay behind the moon...but what do I know?

I too hope for a perfect launch and placement, and that everything else that has to work right, works right.
Technically it will be orbiting the sun around lagrange point L2. It will perform best when behind the earth/moons shadow.

Check out the JWT website on NASA is is loaded with information.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
The important "Knowledge" to be gained from "looking out there" is,

creation is infinite, and it's not an accident.

Purely entertainment while "we" dick around trying to figure out WHY.

Reactions: 1 users

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Can’t wait to see what this thing sends back too us. I believe I heard it’s 100x more powerful than Hubble.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
We've seen quite a lot thanks to Hubble. Curious what Webb will bring us.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe we really dont want to see what it sends back

HVACRoger

Equipment
2021 L2501 Loader, Backhoe, LandPride Grapple, Tiller, Forks, Quick Connect
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
I was explaining to my youngest son a few years ago about the speed of light and how we can't see that far back because the light hasn't gotten here yet. It took him a few but when he "got it" you could tell it blew his mind.

We should be able to reach out a little further with this baby.

My BIL (in insurance) was laughing saying "how would you like to be the underwriter on that one!" - I just shook my head and said "don't laugh, we are the underwriter" - SMH.
Damn, I knew I shouldn’t have gotten on here today!! Now you have blown my mind!! I will be thinking all day trying to understand that first paragraph.
How long before the Chinese steal it??
Merry Christmas All!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, it's challenging to see stars and realize they aren't really there now because it takes the light so long to get to us!

HVACRoger

Equipment
2021 L2501 Loader, Backhoe, LandPride Grapple, Tiller, Forks, Quick Connect
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
Not sure how many of you have been folowing this but it is about to launch. I started following the build WAY to early - lol. It has been a long wait! I'll be up early on Christmas morning this year for sure.

Looks as if you got your Christmas wish!!