Alernator pricing, choosing

Robert kubota 7500

Equipment
Kubota b7500
Nov 22, 2022
Beaumont ca
In need of an alternator (dynamo?) for my b7500, and I see prices ranging from 69 up to 200+ and lots in between.
I don't want to overpay nor do I want to have quality issues.
If anyone can educate me on this would be much appreciated!
Thanks Rob

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You could buy a new alternator or you could take yours to a local starter - alternator repair shop. If they can't fix yours they can probably suggest a reasonably priced substitute.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In need of an alternator (dynamo?) for my b7500, and I see prices ranging from 69 up to 200+ and lots in between.
Thanks Rob
OEM for $225 or go for lowest aftermarket. Not much to them - just an armature and bearing. Personally having had one apart I would go lowball before ponying up $225

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks Rob
I believe you have a dynamo - is yours not working? OR ??? You not getting voltage?

A dynamo is pretty bulletproof other than the fact you have to spin them up a good bit to get voltage output.

There are a couple of bearing inside that can go bad - they are cheap to replace too.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Thanks Rob
I recently did an upgrade to a 40A alternator because I added a small winch to my tractor. The dynamo I pulled is fully functional. It's out of a 2006 B3030 ~425 hrs, if it's compatible, you can have it for short money. If interested send me a PM.

Alternator 14.jpg

Alternator 17.jpg

Alternator 18 - Copy.jpg

IMG-8818.jpg

Robert kubota 7500

Equipment
Kubota b7500
Nov 22, 2022
Beaumont ca
Ok so here is the long version...
Changed the battery 6 months ago. When I disconnected the old battery I hadn't noticed that the battery cables were the wrong colors. The negative was red and the positive was black. So when I installed the new battery I connected the cables incorrectly apparently messed up some things.
I figured out my mistake and everything seemed to be working ok..OK... except the battery was draining overnight.
Did some research and decided that I had likely fried either or both the voltage regulator and the alternator.
Over weeks I decided it was likely the regulator because the battery was charging with usage. I installed a disconnect on the negative cable so it wouldn't discharge overnight and that seemed to solve the issue at least for a while. After a month or so the battery started to discharge pretty quickly again after 1 or two nights, even with negative cable disconnected. At that point I had two jump start every time I used it, and even after running it for an hour or two, the battery was not recharging at all. (Would not restart after shutting off engine momentarily)

I know that changing the v regulator is beyond my scope... so I figured I would try a new alternator.

I still don't understand why the vast differences in prices on new alternators, and how much I should spend on a new one.
Sorry for the long story
Robert g

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Ok so here is the long version...
Changed the battery 6 months ago. When I disconnected the old battery I hadn't noticed that the battery cables were the wrong colors. The negative was red and the positive was black. So when I installed the new battery I connected the cables incorrectly apparently messed up some things.
I figured out my mistake and everything seemed to be working ok..OK... except the battery was draining overnight.
Did some research and decided that I had likely fried either or both the voltage regulator and the alternator.
Over weeks I decided it was likely the regulator because the battery was charging with usage. I installed a disconnect on the negative cable so it wouldn't discharge overnight and that seemed to solve the issue at least for a while. After a month or so the battery started to discharge pretty quickly again after 1 or two nights, even with negative cable disconnected. At that point I had two jump start every time I used it, and even after running it for an hour or two, the battery was not recharging at all. (Would not restart after shutting off engine momentarily)

I know that changing the v regulator is beyond my scope... so I figured I would try a new alternator.

I still don't understand why the vast differences in prices on new alternators, and how much I should spend on a new one.
Sorry for the long story
Robert g
The dynamo is not the source of your parasitic drain.

Dan

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yeah I figured that was from the voltage regulator
Robert....at this juncture you'll want to determine whether your issue is 'parasitic drain' (something continuing to draw current with ignition switch off/short to ground) OR simply a bad battery (or both).

I would begin by removing the battery, fully charging it, let it rest several hours and then check the voltage (DC) with a multi-meter. IF it checks out OK....I would 'Load Test' it.

It is possible your battery is taking a charge....but not holding it. IF it has a dead cell...the other cells will quickly drain off into it (as a battery will always try to equalize).

You can take a 'known to be good' battery, start the tractor and use a multi-meter to check the voltage at the battery terminals. This might show you IF your dynamo and regulator are working. IF your charging system is working correctly and you start with a good battery but it still drains down overnight (or two) then assuredly you have a parasitic draw someplace.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If your battery is going dead with the negative cable disconnected, then the battery has an internal short circuit (bad cell) and it is no good. Being that it is only a few months old, then take it back to where you purchased it and have them test it and replace it. Hooking up the cables incorrectly will not hurt the battery.
Moving on to the dynamo, if it is the cause of the parasitic drain, then just replace it with a used dynamo. If you want to install an alternator on the tractor, check with a local alternator shop to see who makes a quality alternator that will fit your tractor, and make sure that the alternator manufacturer offers service parts. My Lister Petter diesel engine came with an alternator that is not serviceable. No parts were available, so when the internal regulator went bad, the alternator became a junk part. I did find an internal regulator part on eBay that fit into it, and replaced the old regulator with the "new" replacement. That one lasted about 2 hours and then it stopped working. More diagnostics and I learned that the OEM cable from the alternator to the battery terminal was of insufficient size for the output of the alternator. Put a heavier cable onto the alternator to the battery, replace the internal regulator again, and it failed again. Now I keep a battery maintainer on the battery and the engine starts every time. The Lister Petter engine drives my 16KW generator head. No need for an alternator on a diesel engine generator. Been using the battery maintainer this way for the last 8 or 10 years.