Air lock

Beaux

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota 4310
Dec 11, 2019
Pine Grove, Louisiana
Changed fuel filter on 2002 Kubota L4310, removed filter cup, filter and o-rings. Cleaned cup and spring, replaced small o-ring, then put spring into clean cup with o-ring on cup. Reinstalled filter assembly but did not completely tighten, I turned fuel valve on let filter bowl fill with fuel, turned fuel valve off and tightened fuel bowl. Turned fuel valve back on/ open, started tractor ran a short period then tractor slowly stopped running/died. All help for this ( Diesel Green Horn) appreciated. Oh, I watch video from Orange Tractor talk and followed his instructions...apologize for long post.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Not familiar with L4310 , have a B and BX

The injector pump should have an air bleed screw next to fuel inlet. loosen screw, if fuel tank is above engine - gravity should bleed out the air. If tank is lower and you have electric fuel pump, turn on key. Tighten bleed screw when fuel comes out and try starting engine.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Changed fuel filter on 2002 Kubota L4310, removed filter cup, filter and o-rings. Cleaned cup and spring, replaced small o-ring, then put spring into clean cup with o-ring on cup. Reinstalled filter assembly but did not completely tighten, I turned fuel valve on let filter bowl fill with fuel, turned fuel valve off and tightened fuel bowl. Turned fuel valve back on/ open, started tractor ran a short period then tractor slowly stopped running/died. All help for this ( Diesel Green Horn) appreciated. Oh, I watch video from Orange Tractor talk and followed his instructions...apologize for long post.
Are you following the bleeding procedures as shown on the attached page from the WSM

Dave

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
After you change the filter, you need to open the "Jet Start" bleeder (#80) and crank the engine to bleed the air from the filter to the injection pump. When the engine starts, close the valve.
You now need to open the jet start and try cranking the engine. Crank for 10 seconds and let the starter cool for 1 minute. If it does not start after several tries, you will need to loosen one or two injection pipes at the injectors in the cylinder head and crank it until you have fuel there.

If the engine starts with the pipes loosened, shut the engine off and retighten them. Don't tighten them with the engine running as you could get diesel fuel injected into your skin.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Beaux

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota 4310
Dec 11, 2019
Pine Grove, Louisiana

The injector pump should have an air bleed screw next to fuel inlet. loosen screw, if fuel tank is above engine - gravity should bleed out the air. If tank is lower and you have electric fuel pump, turn on key. Tighten bleed screw when fuel comes out and try starting engine.
Ok, located air bleed screw, fuel tank is above and full of diesel, going out and opening air bleed screw gonna wait 5 minutes to see if fuel shows up, if not then try electric fuel pump if I have one. If no electric pump then what, crank engine over till fuel shows up?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Follow directions in attachment that Dave posted. Don't need to wait 5 minutes; don't need electric fuel pump. Crank engine without overheating the starter. Open throttle up about half-way to feed fuel rather than idle. Have faith.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you 100% sure you turned the fuel shut off back into the on position?

I know I've done it and it will act just like you stated.

Beaux

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota 4310
Dec 11, 2019
Pine Grove, Louisiana

where does fuel come out from?

Beaux

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota 4310
Dec 11, 2019
Pine Grove, Louisiana
Thanks to Everyone, I opened bleed screw/valve, cranked engine over Engine started up, let it run just a bit, closed screw/valve, engine is running as should. Thanks again for all the help.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Ok, located air bleed screw, fuel tank is above and full of diesel, going out and opening air bleed screw gonna wait 5 minutes to see if fuel shows up, if not then try electric fuel pump if I have one. If no electric pump then what, crank engine over till fuel shows up?
Your tractor does not have an electric fuel pump, it is mechanical. It will only pump while the engine is cranking / running.
Read post #4 above.

grantf

Equipment
STV 40 tractor
Jul 27, 2020
Auckland New Zealand
Your tractor does not have an electric fuel pump, it is mechanical. It will only pump while the engine is cranking / running.
Read post #4 above.
I have a similar problem on my STV40 tractor, the tank ran dry but it was refilled and after some cranking it started OK and ran for perhaps 10 minutes, a week later it refuses to start despite much cranking.
I removed the water filter bowl and fuel was flowing freely by gravity as the tank is above the engine. I tried cranking with the air bleed valve shown in the lower left corner of the attached picture open to no avail. I even backed off the nut on the union behind the bleed screw and fuel was flowing freely. I tried cracking an injector nut at the outlet of the pump and despite much cranking no fuel is bleeding out at that point. So in my mind fuel is getting to the pump but no further. To the best I can figure there is no decompression lever. Reaching the injector nuts at the cylinder head end is going to be a mission so I'm keen to avoid that if possible. A local agent said to check the fuses as it may have an electric fuel pump. I will look at that today,. In the picture there is something in the LH lower corner that has wires going to it. It looks like a relay, or maybe a solenoid. Sorry for the long and wordy posting but any suggestions appreciated. PS the manual says to check the slow blow fuse for the stop solenoid, it is located in the battery bay so I will check that today.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

grantf

Equipment
STV 40 tractor
Jul 27, 2020
Auckland New Zealand
I have a similar problem on my STV40 tractor, the tank ran dry but it was refilled and after some cranking it started OK and ran for perhaps 10 minutes, a week later it refuses to start despite much cranking.
I removed the water filter bowl and fuel was flowing freely by gravity as the tank is above the engine. I tried cranking with the air bleed valve shown in the lower left corner of the attached picture open to no avail. I even backed off the nut on the union behind the bleed screw and fuel was flowing freely. I tried cracking an injector nut at the outlet of the pump and despite much cranking no fuel is bleeding out at that point. So in my mind fuel is getting to the pump but no further. To the best I can figure there is no decompression lever. Reaching the injector nuts at the cylinder head end is going to be a mission so I'm keen to avoid that if possible. A local agent said to check the fuses as it may have an electric fuel pump. I will look at that today,. In the picture there is something in the LH lower corner that has wires going to it. It looks like a relay, or maybe a solenoid. Sorry for the long and wordy posting but any suggestions appreciated. PS the manual says to check the slow blow fuse for the stop solenoid, it is located in the battery bay so I will check that today.
Thanks in advance.
Well no luck so far, the fuses are all OK, I have cranked it plenty with the air bleed open, I think I need to get access to the injectors and try and bleed at that point. But fundamentally no fuel sees to be getting to the injectors.