Air in Fuel Lines of M5040

raysofcolorado

Equipment
M5040
Aug 24, 2015
Calhan Colorado
I replaced the fuel filter on my M5040 and somehow got air in the fuel lines. I have bleed the fuel lines at the injectors several times. The tractor started up a few times. Ran for about 5 minutes and started sputtering and shut back down. Now it seems like no fuel is getting to the injectors because I barely get any smoke when I try to fire it up. I have been going through this for a few days now. I have tried everything I can think of to get the air out. Any help that anyone can offer, I would greatly appreciate.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It would seem your problem is fuel filter change related. Is the gasket sealing correctly, a line clamp loose?

Why did you change the filter? Maybe you are not getting fuel to the filter? Is there a fuel shut off solenoid not working?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If your M is like mine it has a hollow bolt where the fuel line comes from the filter to the injector pump. Crack that bolt loose and if equipped pump the primer button on top of the primary filter until fuel comes out at the pump. Tighten the bolt back down and it should crank. If you don't have the primer button loosen the bolt and turn the engine over by just bumping the starter until fuel squirts out then tighten the bolt. Either way as long as you get fuel to the injector pump it should crank, at least it does on mine. I have never had to break the injector lines loose to make mine crank.

raysofcolorado

Equipment
M5040
Aug 24, 2015
Calhan Colorado
I changed out the fuel filter because it was the scheduled maintenance time. This is the third time I have changed it and I wasn't expecting to run into all this trouble.

When I got started I was getting fuel to come out of each injector with some bubbles. It would run for a few minutes and shut back down. So I kept bleeding the line. I loosened that bolt to try that and now I am not getting any fuel to the injectors. I know I am getting fuel to the water separator because fuel will come out of the relief nut. I am wondering if the pump on top of the fuel filter could be broke and won't let fuel pass.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Emailed you a link for a download of the WSM for your tractor should help get to the bottom of the issue. ;)

raysofcolorado

Equipment
M5040
Aug 24, 2015
Calhan Colorado
Thank you. I have the WSM from when I purchased my tractor. I always follow exactly what they suggest so things like this don't happen but apparently it can still happen.