Air filters OEM or aftermarket

MDCobraMan

Equipment
Kubota L3430 Grand Open ROPS, L3430 Grand Cab, F2400
Jun 8, 2021
I use Donaldson or Wix, price is fair and less than factory with good quality. The no name aftermarket is only slightly cheaper but not worth the little savings for the huge risk.

Reactions: 1 user

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
If filter cost is a big concern or not, the best thing you can do for air filters is put on an Air Filter Restriction gauge if your tractor/engine does not have one. You'll find a lot of the major filter manufactures recommend using one. You'll change air filters when they need to be changed due to restriction not by hours or visual etc.. This will show when your filter is becoming plugged. It may be 100hrs. or 300hrs. depending on conditions. Best money you can spend for the engine air filter system to see how it is performing. :)

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If filter cost is a big concern or not, the best thing you can do for air filters is put on an Air Filter Restriction gauge if your tractor/engine does not have one. You'll find a lot of the major filter manufactures recommend using one. You'll change air filters when they need to be changed due to restriction not by hours or visual etc.. This will show when your filter is becoming plugged. It may be 100hrs. or 300hrs. depending on conditions. Best money you can spend for the engine air filter system to see how it is performing. :)
And some, if not all Kubota air boxes have a 1/8” brass insert for them to thread into.

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
Amazon sells the generic TA040-93230 and the inner filter for 1/3 of the price as the OEM ones. Does anyone see a problem with an aftermarket air filter? I wouldn't probably use an aftermarket oil filter but, reviews on the air filter seem great.

Is there really a difference? If so, I don't mind paying the extra. Just want to get some feedback.

I think that is really a two-part question.

The first part is that I believe in using OEM filters whenever possible. Full stop. I've been in the industry for 37 yrs and have seen what happens to engines and hydraulic systems when cheap poorly made filters don't do their job. I have seen jobber air filters leak dust around the base, and seen hydraulic filters shred elements, engine oil filters with broken buy pass springs. I have never seen this in an OEM filter.

Part two is not all jobber filters are equal: Fleetgaurd, Baldwin, Donaldson to name a few are proven OEM and after-market suppliers. Some unknown brand made in an unknown factory is not necessarily assured the same consistent quality, you really don't know what you are getting.

It's not worth saving a few bucks that way.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You can save even more money by not bothering to change filters or fluids on your tractor. Preventative maintenance is just a waste of your time and money.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
You can save even more money by not bothering to change filters or fluids on your tractor. Preventative maintenance is just a waste of your time and money.
Same with brushing your teeth. Just get new ones when the old ones fall out:).

And some, if not all Kubota air boxes have a 1/8” brass insert for them to thread into.
Mine doesn't. I know where they are installed on trucks but wonder where they would go on my L4701.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Same with brushing your teeth. Just get new ones when the old ones fall out:).

Mine doesn't. I know where they are installed on trucks but wonder where they would go on my L4701.
Just shown in the last reply they are usually formed into the elbow off the air filter housing.

1623252882145.png

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I just received my Donaldson Primary Air Filter in it’s Donaldson shipping-box and when I opened it to admire it’s OEM construction.... the first thing I noticed was “Made in Poland”.

My Inner “Genuine Kubota” filter also arrived....”Made in Mexico”.
(The really INTERESTING thing about the Much-BallyHooed inner filter that MUST NEVER be cleaned and reused...and if removed MUST be replaced..... presumably because it is SO CRITICAL that NO FOREIGN material ever be inhaled..... The rubber base-gasket is completely covered in TALC residue...similar to many rubber products that use it for lubrications/preservation.

Not sure what effect, if any, any of that has on matters....

Last edited:
  • Haha

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
For my 50 hour service, when I replaced my primary air filter with another OEM filter from the dealer, I noticed it had Made in Mexico on the box.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
the best thing you can do for air filters is put on an Air Filter Restriction gauge if your tractor/engine does not have one.
From two mowers at work, grasshopper 325d and toro 590.
Just shown in the last reply they are usually formed into the elbow off the air filter housing.
Air Filter Restriction gauge . Got one of these and installed it in my L4701. https://www.amazon.com/The-Filter-P...ilter+restriction+gauge&qid=1624149075&sr=8-4
Reason why I went with it was it comes with the 1/8" fitting and is slightly shorter than some of the other brands.
Shorter was better because it just (by a hair) misses the bracket under the right headlight and that is after you make sure the elbow (highlighted by ruger1980 in post #29) is rotated forward a little.

Attachments

Last edited: