Air filters OEM or aftermarket

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Amazon sells the generic TA040-93230 and the inner filter for 1/3 of the price as the OEM ones. Does anyone see a problem with an aftermarket air filter? I wouldn't probably use an aftermarket oil filter but, reviews on the air filter seem great.

Is there really a difference? If so, I don't mind paying the extra. Just want to get some feedback.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The unfortunate thing about (some) things purchased on-line is the inability to handle the item before purchase. (Prime excepted as to freight costs.)

If you were able to handle-for-comparison two NEW filters...one OEM the other Aft-Mkt... then holding them up to a light might give an idea as to porosity of media and sturdiness of structure.
I almost always buy aftermarket air filters for my autos and other equipment making my decision predominately on price.... However, considering that the engine consumes about 7-times more air than fuel.... Air Filter quality would probably be a better criteria.

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
The unfortunate thing about (some) things purchased on-line is the inability to handle the item before purchase.
I used your advice and went and just looked at the photos to compare them. I decided to go with the Kubota ones. There was a complete difference on the inside filter--difference in the materials used and actual design. Maybe it would have been fine but in the end saving $26.00 is great but not if it doesn't work properly.

Attachments

Jack@Northeast

Equipment
LX2610HSDC
May 15, 2021
Natick, MA
I always struggle with the same question related to almost any maintenance item. I almost always default to OEM. Just cuz I know it will bother me for the life of the item. One exception is LG refrigerator water filters. But at least you can check the rating standard on a web site if they are independently tested.
That's my rant for today

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
The way I look at it, my tractor is too much of an investment to risk buying a filter from Amazon. After all, it is not something you have to buy all that often anyway.

I'm all about saving money too. I will put a Fram air filter in my car and truck. But, there is just so much counterfeit/low quality stuff for sale on the internet now, I often avoid buying nothing but OEM for some things......Kubota air filters being one of those things.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I buy aftermarket air filters. Donaldson makes a lot of the air filters used on at least the smaller Kubotas. I can find them cheaper than buying at the dealer. But, having said that, I also clean my air filters (and radiator/screens) every time I mow.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Ebay and Amazon are flooded with counterfeit filters... air, oil, and refrigerator water filters... Beware! I personally have been stung by the GE MWF water filter thing on eBay and have always gotten a refund when I sent pics. Only OE Kubota for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t know if your engine has a turbo. If it does, you want to have excellent filtering ability while still allowing air to pass. Otherwise, you are essentially sand blasting your intake system. Most OEMs make sure their air filters have both traits.

No more often than you have to change an air filter, I’d pay up. If you want to extend the life a bit, do the premaintenance by blowing dust off of the outside etc.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Ya, unfortunately like most things Amazon is letting too much third party run the show. If you source (aftermarket) Baldwin, Donaldson, and Mann filters they will be just as good since they are the oem. The smaller secondary filter should not be skimped on.

PAU7220, I agree the counterfeit market is getting out of hand. It is sad when a ford spark plug/coil or denso part is indistinguishable from oem. I have been burned more than I would like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I recently helped my cousin do his 50 hr. service on his 2020 MX5200. When I pulled the air filter to change it, original filter I noticed it was a Baldwin! I asked him had he changed it before and he said nope never even opened it to see it before.

I too buy Baldwin air filters for my tractor and Exmark which takes the same 2 filters inner and outer.

I do only use Kubota oil and hydro filters.

Found it odd that the air filter was not a Kubota.

That is the best I can do!!

Have a great day OTT.

Jay

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
As stated, I too would not have a problem using a brand other than Kubota as long as it was from a reputable brand and source. But, there is just too much overseas junk sold on places like Amazon.

During the pandemic when everything was closed. I had to replace the fuel line on my Sthil pole saw. Sooo, I ordered some hose off of eBay. I just didn't think about it. I tried to crank my saw last month and just couldn't get it to crank. After scratching my head, I saw the fuel line broken in 2 places from tank to carb! Just junk. I learned my lesson and will go buy some from the local Stihl dealer, which is also the Kubota dealer.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Amazon is only a marketplace/distributor for other retailers/mfr’s. (Sear Roebuck & Co. blew it when they let Amazon copy their catalog-sales idea and take it to the Internet.)

If you look closely, the actual “seller” and/or Manufacturer is identified by Amazon. All you must do is look at the “product details” section of the listing. In many cases, immediately below the main link the actual seller is named.

Examples:
This CLAIMS to be a Kubota filter...but it is actually produced by “Kumar Bros” an aftermarket outfit.

However, THIS is a genuine Kubota filter, and is so identified in the “product description” section as such: https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-OEM-A...words=kubota+air+filter&qid=1622821776&sr=8-5

All you must do is Pay Attention and Read the product description.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Amazon is only a marketplace/distributor for other retailers/mfr’s. (Sear Roebuck & Co. blew it when they let Amazon copy their catalog-sales idea and take it to the Internet.)

If you look closely, the actual “seller” and/or Manufacturer is identified by Amazon. All you must do is look at the “product details” section of the listing. In many cases, immediately below the main link the actual seller is named.

Examples:
This CLAIMS to be a Kubota filter...but it is actually produced by “Kumar Bros” an aftermarket outfit.

However, THIS is a genuine Kubota filter, and is so identified in the “product description” section as such: https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-OEM-A...words=kubota+air+filter&qid=1622821776&sr=8-5

All you must do is Pay Attention and Read the product description.
Works for most purchases, however amazon will change the purchase vender selection from the time you cart an item to the time you pay. Sometimes it is hard to catch. The delivery window will also change. Just wait till you need a return, only to find out the return is carried out by a third party rules. I got screwed by a Ford dealer when the oem packaging is two items, they advertised as two items in oem packaging. Sent one in a paper bag...

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Amazon sells the generic TA040-93230 and the inner filter for 1/3 of the price as the OEM ones. Does anyone see a problem with an aftermarket air filter? I wouldn't probably use an aftermarket oil filter but, reviews on the air filter seem great.

Is there really a difference? If so, I don't mind paying the extra. Just want to get some feedback.
I would stick with Kubota air filter. Cost of engine not worth the chance. I did buy NAPA air filters , when checked fit the inner filter did not have a tight seal, returned air filters and bought Kubota.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Works for most purchases, however amazon will change the purchase vender selection from the time you cart an item to the time you pay. Sometimes it is hard to catch. The delivery window will also change. Just wait till you need a return, only to find out the return is carried out by a third party rules. I got screwed by a Ford dealer when the oem packaging is two items, they advertised as two items in oem packaging. Sent one in a paper bag...
While I’m sure you are reflecting an actual experience you have had... it is only anecdotal unless you provide the exact product-link you used... otherwise it’s probable (IMO) you missed the fine-print.
I usually buy only “prime” items which qualify for free returns. The only time I’ve ever had a disagreement with the seller...Amazon Prime quickly stepped in and forced the seller to refund my money.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
No, I will not Fact check my experience for you. Some things in life are only passed as verbal warnings. A kid will still burn their hand no matter how you explain it to them. Each to their own, my warning was free.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Jack@Northeast

Equipment
LX2610HSDC
May 15, 2021
Natick, MA
Ebay and Amazon are flooded with counterfeit filters... air, oil, and refrigerator water filters... Beware! I personally have been stung by the GE MWF water filter thing on eBay and have always gotten a refund when I sent pics. Only OE Kubota for me.

Good point. I've also seen postings about the counterfeit Toyota oil filters. It is out of control on e-bay and Amazon. Now I try to only but from Amazon (no third party) or a legit car dealer selling on Amazon. Many manufacturers state Amazon is Authorized but resellers are not - ie Keurig coffee water filters.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yesterday I ordered new filters on Amazon Prime (free shipping and return policy).... the INNER filter ($22) being Genuine Kubota... the outer filter ($29) being Donaldson because that’s all I could locate on-line/Amazon.... and I believe it that Kubota filters for my model are made by Donaldson anyway.

(I like Amazon Prime because in most instances it costs me more in fuel, mileage, and time to drive to town and back for parts. Yes, it’s full retail price...but the savings in travel and freight more than make up for it, in my case.)

Attachments

Last edited: