Aftermarket cylinder heads, any luck?

Junkytreasure

Equipment
342 mustang and an L3901
Oct 26, 2023
Arkansas
Hey guys,
I was looking for input on some aftermarket cylinder heads. I have a D1402 engine in my old skid loader with a cracked head. I have contacted my local Kubota dealer and a few salvage yards and keep coming up empty for a genuine Kubota head. Apparently discontinued by Kubota and not as common as the DI version. I need this loader running 2 weeks ago but I’m not coming up with anything good. The internet is full of aftermarket heads however. I would much rather buy a factory head than some piece of junk Chinese thing that won’t last. I did find a head manufactured in Malaysia which I feel better about but still not good.
Has anyone ever ran one of these successfully? I’m not making a living with this machine but it is in otherwise good condition and I need it to run. I put 100 hours a year or better (probably closer to 200 honestly) on this machine just for reference.

Thanks for any feedback.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey guys,
I was looking for input on some aftermarket cylinder heads. I have a D1402 engine in my old skid loader with a cracked head. I have contacted my local Kubota dealer and a few salvage yards and keep coming up empty for a genuine Kubota head. Apparently discontinued by Kubota and not as common as the DI version. I need this loader running 2 weeks ago but I’m not coming up with anything good. The internet is full of aftermarket heads however. I would much rather buy a factory head than some piece of junk Chinese thing that won’t last. I did find a head manufactured in Malaysia which I feel better about but still not good.
Has anyone ever ran one of these successfully? I’m not making a living with this machine but it is in otherwise good condition and I need it to run. I put 100 hours a year or better (probably closer to 200 honestly) on this machine just for reference.

Thanks for any feedback.
Not to rain on your parade, but I would not feel any better about a head from Malaysia, than a head from China.
I have spent time in both countries!

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
This may just be the logic in me talking becuase I don't have any 1rst hand experience, but..... wouldn't an aftermarket be better then the new or reman one you don't have a d can't get or find ? Could the old one be repaired?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
We live in a world economy, can't bash something just for location. Buy from a company that will stand behind it. I have had 2 different cylinder heads for a ecotech 2.4 liter that leaked oil after installing. Both companies gave me a cylinder head gasket kit and a couple hundred dollars for my time to replace it again. I have dealt with All States Ag Parts and would deal with again. They are not the cheapest, but, have a good repudiation.

Reactions: 1 users

Junkytreasure

Equipment
342 mustang and an L3901
Oct 26, 2023
Arkansas
This may just be the logic in me talking becuase I don't have any 1rst hand experience, but..... wouldn't an aftermarket be better then the new or reman one you don't have a d can't get or find ? Could the old one be repaired?
It would be fine if they last. A waste of time money and effort if it only lasts for a few hours of run time. I was able to get a gasket set from Kubota but it was $300, an aftermarket head is $500ish. I don’t feel like I can put $800 plus dollars worth of parts on this loader every few hours of run time. Just because I can get them doesn’t mean they’re worth using is what I was concerned with.

Reactions: 1 user

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
It would be fine if they last. A waste of time money and effort if it only lasts for a few hours of run time. I was able to get a gasket set from Kubota but it was $300, an aftermarket head is $500ish. I don’t feel like I can put $800 plus dollars worth of parts on this loader every few hours of run time. Just because I can get them doesn’t mean they’re worth using is what I was concerned with.
I get that 100% that's why I said I have no first hand experience. Hopefully others will have some good input like @cthomas did.

Junkytreasure

Equipment
342 mustang and an L3901
Oct 26, 2023
Arkansas
We live in a world economy, can't bash something just for location. Buy from a company that will stand behind it. I have had 2 different cylinder heads for a ecotech 2.4 liter that leaked oil after installing. Both companies gave me a cylinder head gasket kit and a couple hundred dollars for my time to replace it again. I have dealt with All States Ag Parts and would deal with again. They are not the cheapest, but, have a good repudiation.
I agree about the location thing, most if not all countries are capable of producing good quality parts. But I don’t think we can completely disregard China’s history for pumping out stuff that just shouldn’t exist. My real issue is that I don’t feel like any of these places that sell these heads are reputable.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I agree about the location thing, most if not all countries are capable of producing good quality parts. But I don’t think we can completely disregard China’s history for pumping out stuff that just shouldn’t exist. My real issue is that I don’t feel like any of these places that sell these heads are reputable.
Agreed!
I would trust a head made in Japan, and one made in Korea as well.
Made in China, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, etc.....not so much.
If you can get a new OEM head for $500, I think that I would spring for it.

The above being stated by this guy,...... who installed a cheap clutch made in China, and had to do a tractor split TWICE!

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If the aftermarket head is all you can get, maybe have it stress-relieved (ie: heated in an oven then slowly cooled) then checked and planed if required.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
did a RTV a while back. Guy bought me some aftermarket cyl head that I had to put all the valves and such into. Old one was cracked. All the valve seats needed work and it really needed to be resurfaced, although customer was impatient and said "put it on". Far as I know it's still running, but he did have to put another $125 into fixing the valve seats (machine shop took care of it).

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Rebuilt the grandson’s truck with them two years ago and they are still going. At this point you might as well roll the dice and go for it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
This place was recommended by several people when I was asking about the cylinder head on my L185. I had no problems so didn’t pursue it but a couple of people had used them with success.

Some heads may be “bare” and others are “complete” so the costs may look different (from any or same vendor). Know what you’re getting is the important thing.

Junkytreasure

Equipment
342 mustang and an L3901
Oct 26, 2023
Arkansas
This place was recommended by several people when I was asking about the cylinder head on my L185. I had no problems so didn’t pursue it but a couple of people had used them with success.

Some heads may be “bare” and others are “complete” so the costs may look different (from any or same vendor). Know what you’re getting is the important thing.
These are one of the brands I’ve looked at. I can’t wait anymore. I’m going to get one on the way. I hope it lasts more than 5 minutes.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Nothing wrong with Chinese per se. The problem is that the Chinese can make good stuff, or can make junk. The quality control is the important part. We used to tell the difference between good stuff and junk by the price. But that doesn't work any more. Online reviews also aren't as reliable as they used to be. So, there probably are good heads out there, it's just that there's no way to work out which.

A partial recommendation from above is better than no recommendation, so I agree with your plan.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
These are one of the brands I’ve looked at. I can’t wait anymore. I’m going to get one on the way. I hope it lasts more than 5 minutes.
I have read many favorable reports about Kumar Bros.

To make you feel better :cry:
I bought a Chinese replacement clutch, (not from Kumar) and it did a LOT better than "5 minutes"!
It actually lasted 2-1/2 hours!(n)

Junkytreasure

Equipment
342 mustang and an L3901
Oct 26, 2023
Arkansas
As just a follow up, I got the head installed, the injector pump “rebuilt”, and the machine running again… but it still runs like crap so that’s pretty neat.
I say “rebuilt” because I’m pretty sure the shop didn’t do anything other than clean the injector pump. They sure didn’t calibrate it! The search for my problem continues.

Junkytreasure

Equipment
342 mustang and an L3901
Oct 26, 2023
Arkansas
I set the overhead when I replaced the head, compression is good, air filter is new, intake is clear, and injectors are on the way. I had a guy lined up to bring his pop off tester over so we could go through them but he never showed up. So I just ordered new ones.