Advice on tractor for 7.5 acres - Mowing pasture and general use - L3902? What flail mower?

ben_2000

Mar 23, 2023
San Francisco
Hi all,

We moved to a 7.5 acre lot in NorCal last year. House is on the top of a hill and has around 6 acres of pasture (no real lawn) which runs down the hill. Property also has lots of mature tress and bushes. We inherited a Husqvarna gt52xls which has been great to mow the more intricate areas.

We have decided we need/want a tractor for the following
  • Mowing the pasture 4-8 times per year
  • FEL for general use and compost turning. We seem to generate 2-3 cubic yards of yard waste per month (more in the growing season) and no way to turn compost etc
  • Chipper (PTO) - This is a luxury (Woodland Mills WC68) - There are always branches etc we have cut down and would simply like to chip them vs waiting and hiring a chipper once a year.
We have a local Kubota dealer who is highly recommended.

We started off thinking of getting a L2501 but after reading lots of threads decided that the hills meant that more power would not be a bad idea. So now looking at L3902.
ZTR - Again I have read hundreds of threads and not sure ZTR is worth it for mowing pasture 4-8 times per year and would end up being another less used machine vs the multi purpose tractor.
Mower for the pasture - Like the idea of a Flail mower but not sure the best size to match the L3902?
As some of the work is on a hill, wheel spacers and filled tires are a must.

Budget is ~$42k (inc tax) for tractor + chipper + mower.

Any thoughts or comments welcome as this is the first time purchasing a tractor.

Thanks
Ben

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think you're in the right territory. I personally like the L3902, and if you have a finish mower already then you're rough mowing and mowing large stretches. That means you don't need MMM, and so L is good bang for buck.

I wouldn't mow pasture with a ZTR, they're a finish mower. So I'd definitely cross that off the list.

I think an L3902 would run a 5 foot flail, maybe a 6 foot if you don't try to go too fast. Personally I'd buy a bigger one rather than smaller.

Will you need to trailer the tractor to other locations? If so, I wouldn't personally fill the tires. If you're doing hills right you're going up and down (not side to side). With spacers and the loader off I don't think you'd need filled tires. With a flail you shouldn't need front counter weight, with a large rotary cutter you might.

If you wanted a Landpride option (i.e. one financing package) you could look at the FM2560 or FM2572 https://www.landpride.com/products/910/FM25-Series-Flail-Mowers

I have an inexpensive chipper for my B2601, and it's one of my more used implements. I like that trimmings and waste doesn't leave the property, straight into the compost pile. The WC68 is quite a big chipper, you may be able to get away with something smaller?

Honestly, I think you could do the job with the L2502, the 60 inch flail and a smaller chipper. I haven't done the pricing options, but that could be a way to sneak into a smaller budget. The L3302 could be a mid point perhaps. Depends on what you want to spend. And of course if you buy smaller you'll spend the next 10 years every time you're going up a hill thinking "wish I'd got the L3902".

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Since you said the chipper is a luxury, you might want to consider the Woodmaxx MX-8500G+; it is $2525 (shipping included). I am sure the Woodland Mills would serve you well too, but the Woodmaxx is less expensive, less complex, made in the USA and highly effective - see my review below.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
60 PTO HP is what you want at a minimum. Make sure to get 3 rear and 1 front remote. SSQA on the loader. The older I get the less I want open station tractors.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
For 7.5 acres, I would be careful that you don’t get talked into buying more tractor than really need. It’s easy to spend someone else’s money and many will tell you that you need to buy a bigger tractor. A L2501 will do all that you want to do but just a little slower. Sounds like you won’t be using it a lot each week. A L3901 will definitely give you more power and be quicker depending upon how big attachments you put on. If you spend all your budget on a bigger tractor, you won’t have money left to buy more attachments as you figure out that you need more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Any chance you've considered making it a 'crop' for local animals ? Cutting 6 acres of 'grass' ,6 times a years,going up and down the hill doesn't sound like a lot of fun. maybe a local farmer will do all the work for the bales ?
anyone know how long it takes to mow 6 acres ?
options....always look for options.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
There are many variables as to time to mow, but if you are using a 5 foot mower with a partially irregularly shaped field - about an hour an acre for mowing grass that can be mowed at standard mowing speed.

The last time I cut a 5-6 acre field of 10 inch high grass, it took about 5 hours. Of course when I first mowed that same field full of 5 foot tall weeds and 4 foot tall briar patches, it took much longer - including stopping every 20 minutes to blow off the chaff from the tractor hood and radiator with a leaf blower.

Last edited:

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I also live in NorCal, on 5 heavily wooded acres. Just burn the tree debris/branches. Make a pile and burn it once a year. Nothing wrong with the chipper...but IMO it's a waste of $$ for what you have.

Why are you mowing the pasture 4-8 times a year? I bought an L3901 in 2019. I have a 5 ft brush mower. I will mow my 15 ft fire break a few times a year, and then mow the rest of it memorial day....it might be 3ft high, the brush hog handles it fine. 4 hours...

IMO, I bought too much tractor for what I do with it. A BX would have been fine. The L series are not heavy enough to move ground effectively. I should have bought a BX and a mini ex.

ben_2000

Mar 23, 2023
San Francisco
Chipper - 100% agree its a luxury but I am getting fed up with multiple brush piles :)

Crop for animals - Land was cow pasture 30 years ago, for 10 years the previous owner did bail and sell the hay but quality reduced over time (more weeds etc) and the farmer was no longer interested.

Pasture 4-8 times a year - We seem to have lots of weeds etc that are taking over the pasture and killing off lots of the grass, so would like to keep it down. Hence mowing more regularly.

Time to mow - Ideally, I would be able to mow it all in a day. Happy being outside in the nice weather and we have great views.

Thanks
Ben

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I have 7 + ac here with steep hills full of mole mounds lots of fir, alder and two large hilly meadow areas. I use a 4' brush hog behind my B2620 works just fine, no hill climbing issues, I am sure it would pull a bigger mower of either type. When mowing tall grass be mindful that the grass does not get sucked up onto the propeller shaft under the tractor which will tear up the seals. This happened to me a couple of years ago and I had to split the tractor to replace the seals!
I have a pinch feed chipper that will take up to a 4" material. Anything over 4" I burn in the shop stove along with the bigger stuff. It works just fine. Keep in mind that the chipper chute will clog easily if you try to run
finer branches or brush though it. With only one ac of woods you might consider a smaller cheaper chipper and spend the luxury money on something that doesn't involve work. :)
Enjoy your new property.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
hmm, any bee keepers in your part of the Earth ? 6 acres of buckwheat would make them real happy. Plant once, it keeps reseeding itself.......
..and you'll be swimming in honey !
options.....

ben_2000

Mar 23, 2023
San Francisco
hmm, any bee keepers in your part of the Earth ? 6 acres of buckwheat would make them real happy. Plant once, it keeps reseeding itself.......
..and you'll be swimming in honey !
options.....
we are on the verge of deciding what to add - bees, fruit trees etc. We also have 4 deer that live on the property and like to eat everything :)

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I purchase a L2501 hst late 2019, have 56 acres of hills, grapple, 6 foot light duty Land pride rotary cutter, too small of a box blade :oops: and open cab.
In all honesty I have not needed or wished for more HP but I tend to take things a bit slower than many others. I enjoy the seat time. I also have not wanted a cab, again I enjoy the sun and fresh air. The closest to wanting a cab is when mowing my trails when it is super dry, the dust can be annoying. It rains enough here in central Wi I can time the trail mowing right after a rain.
To be fair my thoughts on HP might be different if I was running a chipper and what I was chipping.

Good luck on what ever you decide and congrats to your new home and land!

I figured the thread could use a picture! The day was 15 degrees F unlike what the trail camera says. A gorgeous day to be on the tractor! :)
DSCF0142.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I purchase a L2501 hst late 2019, have 56 acres of hills, grapple, 6 foot light duty Land pride rotary cutter, too small of a box blade
I pull a woods GB60 5' box blade with the B2620. It will bog, down lose traction when about half full or you hit a decent root, but I not moving mountains either. The L2501 is heavier may pull just fine.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I mentioned bees as a friend does this... beekeeper puts his hives up, maintains them, gets the honey. Friend gets jars of honey in return, everyone wins especially the bees !

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I pull a woods GB60 5' box blade with the B2620. It will bog, down lose traction when about half full or you hit a decent root, but I not moving mountains either. The L2501 is heavier may pull just fine.
Thanks for that! I should have been clearer in my post. I have a light duty 48 inch King Kutter box blade that I used on my B7100 and now attached to the L2501 three point. It would be easy for me to tear it up if not careful, not being matched to the heavier tractor.

Last edited:

Wyatt545

Equipment
Kubota M5660, RCR1884, pallet forks and EA Severe Xtreme 84" box blade
Nov 13, 2022
Zionville, NC
I think either a gear drive L2501 or L3902 would be a great option for you. The L3302 is in no man’s land in my opinion

I think 60” rotary cutter would be fine, but definitely looking at 6+ hours of mowing each time.

another option is mowing fire break style border around perimeter and trees and spraying selective herbicide for the weeds. At the end of the growing season, mow the entire pasture. Leaving the taller grasses inside provides cover for animals, looks good (to me) and saves 3/4 of a day mowing every month

Last edited:

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Chipper - 100% agree its a luxury but I am getting fed up with multiple brush piles :)

Crop for animals - Land was cow pasture 30 years ago, for 10 years the previous owner did bail and sell the hay but quality reduced over time (more weeds etc) and the farmer was no longer interested.

Pasture 4-8 times a year - We seem to have lots of weeds etc that are taking over the pasture and killing off lots of the grass, so would like to keep it down. Hence mowing more regularly.

Time to mow - Ideally, I would be able to mow it all in a day. Happy being outside in the nice weather and we have great views.

Thanks
Ben
Regarding time to mow...I mow 4 acres of pain in the butt rocks/stumps/branches in 5 hours with a 5 ft brush mower. I am constantly changing directions, I don't have any straight lines to mow. If I had straight lines, probably 3 hours. It took me 15 with a Dr walk behind field and brush.

I don't remotely use my 3901 pto's power, I could have easily been fine with a much smaller tractor. I have a constant 15% or so grade. You would be fine with any 4wd tractor IMO.

Do you need a finish lawnmower at all? If yes, I'd look at a BX2680....or whatever will run your chipper....but IMO this might be ne of those better to just buy a dedicated chipper instead of 10k extra on a tractor for one implement.

Last edited: