Advice for new B-series tractor

DBCSteve

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL, box scraper, Artillian forks & grapple, GR 2120 mower
Jul 23, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Looking for advice for a new Kubota. We will move from northern California to Washington next year. I currently have an L3400DT with top and tilt, FEL, Rears SPF 5 foot flail mower, hydraulic scraper and a few other usual implements. All of this works well on our ten acres of relatively flat pastureland that dries out every summer. We will be moving to 20 acres in Washington on the western side of the Cascades, northeast of Seattle. I will need to mow, mostly 6-8 acres of gently sloping open ground but some mowing around buildings and trees. Also have some timber up on a hill, and may need to do some earth work there and elsewhere. Gotta mow 5-6 times a year since they get 40 inches a year of rain.

I am very experienced with tractors (just sold my JD dozer), but concerned my L3400 is too heavy for mowing on softer ground. Thinking about either a B2650 or B3350 (yep, with DPF, but may want the B3350 horsepower), and would still like to use a flail mower for leaves and tree trimmings. Also do not know whether a mid-mount mower or 3-point finish mower would be best for grass, and whether to get R4 or turf tires. Turfs would be better for mowing, but getting up on the hill? I could always rent a tractor for earth work. Will use FEL for all the usual stuff, and scraper for maintaining road and spreading gravel. I like the B50 series for many reasons including HST and better 3-point control.

As to HP, the B2650 is certainly adequate for mowing, lifting, etc. but not enough PTO HP for my flail mower. Could step down to a smaller flail I suppose. I'd appreciate any and all advice as to which Kubota to consider for my purposes. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
That's a tough one....

You want lower weight to keep from crushing the ground, but want more HP for the bigger flail.

Sounds like you should just buy a small tractor to mow with, and keep your big tractor for heavy work.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I mow with my L3000 and would take a rear finish mower over a MMM any day of the week. Once you get used to using one they will cut just as close to trees and anything will other than maybe a zero turn.

That 40 inches of rain would make me stay away from turf tires unless you enjoy being stuck all the time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm just east of where your moving.
The L will do fine, it's not anywhere too heavy, I have Both a B and an L and they both put the same foot print down.
If your really concerned change over to these tires or go dual on what you already have:

Attachments

DBCSteve

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL, box scraper, Artillian forks & grapple, GR 2120 mower
Jul 23, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Thanks much for the very good replies. I want to move to a B series Kubota since they will be at least 700 lbs lighter than my L3400. The B3350 has almost the same engine and PTO HP as my L3400. In addition, I may easily sell my L3400 with our house and property in California, avoiding the need to haul stuff 900 miles to Washington.

Good idea about tires -- R4s probably make more sense than turf tires. As to the flail mower, I think a 48 inch Rears mower would be more useful than my 60 inch mower for maintaining trails and chopping trimmings and berries. I use my 60 inch flail for all around stuff including mowing my pasture, but I would not use it for general mowing in Washington. A B2650 has plenty of PTO HP for the smaller flail mower and the other PTO stuff I'd use (tiller and finish mower), so it may be a better choice for me than the B3350. I'll follow the DPF technology for the next year or two to see if it improves by the time I decide to buy. Prefer as much HP as I can afford, but like many (but not all) people on this forum I want to avoid the current DPF technology.

Also good advice about a 3-point finish mower, based on real experience. Thanks to all of you!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I recently wrote a long post about personal experiences with RFM's on tractors for mowing. Short version is my L3200 (starting third Summer with a 6' RFM now) is easier on the grass than the B7500 with a 5' RFM that I used for the previous 10 years. I'm guessing the footprint of rubber on the ground is larger with the L and spreads the load. There are a couple spots where I had to use 4WD with the B that the L walks right up. Both tractors equipped with loaded R4's.