Adjusting Telescoping Stabilizer

Ozarks

Equipment
2012 L4600
Aug 31, 2012
Bruner, MO
Hi! I’m a new member of OrangeTractorTalks and of a L4600 Kubota tractor.

In the past I have only operated a Ford 8n so using telescoping stabilizer arms is new to me. I’m sure the issue I am having is operator head space and timing but I am having trouble with spread of the lift arms being wider them the pins on the implement I’m hooking up to. It seems that the telescoping stabilizer arms prevent the lift arms from opening wider. The stabilizer meet the limit to be shortened to allow the lift arms to open wider.

With an 8n I have been able to back up to an implement spread the lift arms as wide as needed with the only times I have had to move the implement was the when the lift arm would not reach, I was backed in crooked.

With the telescoping stabilizer when I back up aligned I have to move the implement to be able to get the lift arm ball on the pin of the implement for both sides.

What am I missing here? Any suggestions or advice will help. I hope I have explained my issue well enough to be understood.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Are you pulling the pins?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Some stabilizers have a pin hole that allows the tube to slide a given amount- is your pin in this slot, or have you pulled the pin completely. If the pin is pulled completely, then the arm should have the full range of motion left to right. If the pin is pulled and it doesn't, then the stabilizers are too long for the tractor, or they may be bent and getting in a bind.

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Could it be that the stabilizers are hitting the tires preventing them from opening to their maximum? This could be the case if you have R-4s instead of R-1s.

Ozarks

Equipment
2012 L4600
Aug 31, 2012
Bruner, MO
Thank you for your answers to my situation. The pin's are pulled, I have ag tires and the arms are not hitting anything. The telescoping stabilizers are retracted as far as they can go. What do you do to get the lift arms to spread further then the 3 pt pins in an implement?

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Thank you for your answers to my situation. The pin's are pulled, I have ag tires and the arms are not hitting anything. The telescoping stabilizers are retracted as far as they can go. What do you do to get the lift arms to spread further then the 3 pt pins in an implement?
Ozarks, I will add my 2 cents, since I was raised on an 8n also. I am not used to the telescoping stabilizers since my tractor has the check chains with a turn buckle. First I had to learn that the check chains replaced the old stabilizer bar we used to use on our 8n's. My check chains are hooked up with clevises at both ends, so I remove the outer clevis before I hookup to an attachment so the arms will swing all of the way out to the tires. After I hook it up, I put the pins back in the check chains and tighten the turn buckle if I want to stabilize it. I am surprised the telescoping stabilizer wouldn't let the arms swing all of the way to the tires. Maybe they have been limited to keep them from hitting the tires. I have been thinking about making a set out of telescoping square tubes and planned to make sure they would go that far.

Good luck,
John

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Are you trying to put a Cat2 implement on a Cat1 3ph?
What's the distance between the pins on the implement?

The only time I've had problems with check-chains is one tractor somebody monkey-rigged. They mounted the chains too high and when you lower the hitch to hook up an implement this pulls the arms together. On that unit I hook up one side first and push the implement to that direction, that gives me a few inches to wrestle the other arm into position. It's just a matter of inches, the length of one pin apparently.

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I'm with birddogger here - I sounds like the wrong size implement for your tractor. Post some pics would be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have:

1. Pulled the pins hooking the stabilizer to the tractor, hooked up and then put the pin back.

2. Pulled the pins on the implement, attached then put the pins back.

3. Reversed the pins on the implement and hooked up from the inside.

4. Replaced with shorter pins.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The implement mount could be too wide, or the stabilizers could be too long. The ones I build allow the arms to open all the way to the tires, and close all the way to the draw bar. The factory set on my dads NH39300 allow the full range of motion.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it has the correct stabilizers on it the lift arms should go from tire to tire. I don't see how it can get any wider than that.

Ozarks

Equipment
2012 L4600
Aug 31, 2012
Bruner, MO
Again, thank you for all the answers.

One of the implements is a King Cutter 5ft brush hog. I would think that the 3pt would be a standard set up. With the pins pulled the lift arms will not swing wide enough to touch the tires. I had to do some work on the brush hog that required me to unhook it last night. In hooking it back up I had to set one lift arm onto the pin them literally move the brush hog over to set the other pin. I know with the 8n the only time I moved the implement was when I had backed up to it crooked and had to realign by swinging the implement.

What I see happening is the male end of the telescoping stabilizer bottoms out inside the female part not allowing the lift arms to span wide enough.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll have to measure it to be sure but I bet the arms on my L3000 will go 4' wide. I've never had any trouble fitting a implement on there. My guess is that you have the wrong stabilizers or something of that nature. As long as they don't give any trouble closing up tight enough I would take them apart and cut some of the male end off. Even just a 1/2 inch would give several inches more travel on the lift arms.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Again, thank you for all the answers.

One of the implements is a King Cutter 5ft brush hog. I would think that the 3pt would be a standard set up. With the pins pulled the lift arms will not swing wide enough to touch the tires. I had to do some work on the brush hog that required me to unhook it last night. In hooking it back up I had to set one lift arm onto the pin them literally move the brush hog over to set the other pin. I know with the 8n the only time I moved the implement was when I had backed up to it crooked and had to realign by swinging the implement.

What I see happening is the male end of the telescoping stabilizer bottoms out inside the female part not allowing the lift arms to span wide enough.
Can you take a photo and post it on here?