Accidental, oil deposit on new clutch disc

ASCHOICE

Equipment
Kubota ZB1500
Jul 16, 2019
Argouges FRANCE
Hi all,
Made a clumsy move when trying to fit a new clutch assembly to my kubota B1500 tractor. As a result the unit fell into a bowl containing engine oil soaking the whole assembly. Within seconds I retrieved the unit and quickly wiped it down, removing all the oil I could see. The new clutch disc I sprayed with brake cleaner and wiped any residue. I then used an air compressor to blow away any hidden residue and placed it near a radiator, to try and dry it throughly. I am worried if the oil in that short period would be absorbed and render the clutch disc unuseable. Your views would be welcome and any views as to whether brake cleaner was the right agent to use. I am in the learning mode.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You did exactly what I would do.
Brake parts cleaner is probably the best thing you could use.
Your fine, put it in and use it!

Reactions: 1 users

ASCHOICE

Equipment
Kubota ZB1500
Jul 16, 2019
Argouges FRANCE
Good info and reassuring comments. Thanks folk. Baking in the oven , New idea which I will consider. Nice to have all your support out there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd be real careful about putting it in HER oven,in HER house !!!
Unless of course YOUR garage has a furnace and bed in it!

Really, ya done right, but, I'd spray more brake cleaner at it, blow off. Several more times from different angles, front back, etc. Using up another $5 can of cleaner is cheap 'peace of mind' !

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I realize the tractor is only a B1500 and of little value but I look at this a little differently as I cherish all my old and new stuff..

If this happened (and would I accept) an oil soaked but then cleaned clutch plate from a reputable repair shop in:
- a $500k dozer?
- a $50k TLB
- a $5k used CUT?

I wouldn't no matter where the line is drawn

for maybe $100 bucks or so I would guess you can replace the soaked clutch plate.

let the bashing begin :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you are going to bake it, put it in the dishwasher first! Don't necessarily need to but then you will know how much you can get away with!!! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A dry clutch is no different than riveted brake linings on shoes…. you did fine using brake cleaner on it. Install it.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I wouldnt bake it, the oil will migrate further. Brake cleaner, and soak it down. Clutch will be fine.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If this happened (and would I accept) an oil soaked but then cleaned clutch plate from a reputable repair shop in:
- a $500k dozer?
- a $50k TLB
- a $5k used CUT?

Agreed 100%. If you had gotten a bit on the surface and then immediately used a full can of brake cleaner on it, maybe.

But you soaked it. It's ruined. It's going to give you nothing but grief and you are going to have to do all the work of pulling everything apart all over again to put a new one in.

OR, you can accept the inevitable, buy a new one now and save doing it twice.

Your choice, of course.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If (IF) you're not happy the brake cleaner didn't get all the oil, run a propane torch,close to the disc EVENLY. It'll 'draw' out any last molecules of oil and vapourize them but I seriously doubt that it's ruined.
Odds are good it'll work just fine, if not, splitting that tractor ain't too hard.

ASCHOICE

Equipment
Kubota ZB1500
Jul 16, 2019
Argouges FRANCE
If (IF) you're not happy the brake cleaner didn't get all the oil, run a propane torch,close to the disc EVENLY. It'll 'draw' out any last molecules of oil and vapourize them but I seriously doubt that it's ruined.
Odds are good it'll work just fine, if not, splitting that tractor ain't too hard.

ASCHOICE

Equipment
Kubota ZB1500
Jul 16, 2019
Argouges FRANCE
Thanks for all your views, they are all much appreciated. Having cleaned it thoroughly I on reflection will take a chance and fit it. The whole maintenance of the tractor, although not valuable is a project of passion. If its doesn't work then I will split it again and again if necessary. It's a great iearning experience.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks for all your views, they are all much appreciated. Having cleaned it thoroughly I on reflection will take a chance and fit it. The whole maintenance of the tractor, although not valuable is a project of passion. If its doesn't work then I will split it again and again if necessary. It's a great iearning experience.
DO THIS!>>>> Come back with a follow-up report so those of us interested will be reassured WHICH we were….. RIGHT.…. :p or….Wrong. … :poop:

(my advice was Right…of course) ;)

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
As an engineer, lets look at this from different perspective.... What are the 'negatives' to having some oils embedded within the clutch-disk?

The #1 issue would be 'grabby' clutch. This may seem non-intuitive but for brake/clutch linings, they tend to become 'grabby' when moisture/oil is present.

On brakes, some hard stops to generate heat is often enough to drive out residual oils.

With a clutch, one may not wish to purposely 'slip' the clutch to generate the heat necessary so the grabbiness may be present for the life of the clutch.

Hence: If you re-assemble and the clutch is NOT 'grabby'.... then there should be no issues for the life of the clutch-lining.

If the clutch slips due to presense of oil.... that would quickly generate heat and drive out the oils.... and hopefully stop slipping at that point.

Also consider that ALL cast-iron has embedded moisture/oils. (cast-iron is porous like a sponge) When machining cast-iron, oils are NOT used due to its natural ability to lubricate the cutting tool. Hence, there is always some moisture present with brake/clutch disks anyway.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Well, how does the disk look? Oil will leave a discoloration if it got soaked in, but it takes quite a bit of time for it to start soaking in. Had you dropped it and left it for a half hour, then you can safely say it's done for, but if it just laid on the surface a few minutes, and washed it all off, then it will be fine. I use a paint stripper heat gun on a lot of things, and it would tell you right away if there was still oil by heating up a section and see if anything comes to the surface. You should see what happens to my bowling ball when I apply heat to it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ideally, a session in a vacuum oven would be just the ticket; however, most (nearly all) folks haven't got access to a vacuum oven, so that's a moot point. I would think you will be OK, but I've been wrong before.
As stated earlier, splitting the tractor isn't a big deal, unless your tractor is set up like mine- to split the tractor, you have to pull the FEL subframe. To pull the FEL subframe, you have to pull the FEL, the BH, & the BH subframe. I my case, I would not want to do it twice, so I would replace the disk, but that is just me.

Every six months or so, my boss in the Cleanroom at work would use the vacuum oven in the utility room to bake & pump down his bowling ball. It would get wringing wet with lane oil; looked like someone poured a half quart of motor oil over it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
A clutch is used to connect and disconnect the drive-train. A brake lining is used to slow/stop a spinning wheel-drum. Once the vehicle is stopped…. there is no further performance-dynamic required of the brake-lining despite the fact the brakes are still applied.
The same situation exists with a dry clutch. It is used to ”brake” a spinning engine flywheel by connecting it to the transmission….. ONce that connection is “made”… there is no further performance dynamic of that now-locked assembly.
The friction of useage should act to further dry-out and resolve any previous or remaining oil-contamination of the clutch disc.
At least that’s my prediction. I seriously doubt any problem will exist in this matter, if any, after an hour or so of use.