Accident To Share

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Two nights ago, the doorbell rang, and since I live in the woods, we rarely get anyone that rings the doorbell. It was someone from the local fire department telling me that there would be 4 wheelers traveling up my driveway into the woods. I asked what was going on, and he said that they received a 911 call about a person lost in the woods after dark. The more I talked to him, the more it sounded like the person that I saw earlier in the day (while it was light out) walking into the woods near where my driveway intersects with another property. They decided to stage the rescue efforts at my home in the driveway. After about a half-hour, I went back outside to see if they had made any progress to learn that they were able to ping the 911 call, but the battery had died on the phone. He showed me a picture on his phone of my home, and where she was. I told them that they were looking in the wrong place and that they needed to go back to the end of the driveway and head into the trail at the bottom, and once on that trail, there were other trails that went to the left, and they would find her. The property that she was on has 2 streams bordering it. They made voice contact, but couldn't see her because it was dark, and that rescue team was on the other side of the water. Once they knew where to look, it made the search a lot easier, although it still took 4 hours to locate her. In the end, she was fine, only a little embarrassed. There were more than 10 fire/rescue departments from 2 states that responded to the mutual aid request. Got to see some interesting 4 wd ATVs of all brands that were built for fire suppression. I wonder if that a locating device such as you describe would have helped had she had one?
Forget all that other B.S……. Was she cute? Clothed? Got pics?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Forget all that other B.S……. Was she cute? Clothed? Got pics?
She was in her 50's. She was dressed for the weather, but if they hadn't gotten her out by the morning, she would have been in very poor condition. No pictures, but it was in the local newspaper, but I didn't see the article.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was doing some routine maintenance on my zero turn. Was replacing the deck belt. I had to push the pull in and roll the belt over the tension pully. Well the belt rolled and grabbed my thumb in the process.

I was stuck with my thumb wedged between the pully and belt.

Thankfully my wife was home. I was able to yell and get her put there to help me. She had to climb under the zero turn. Put her foot on the tension pull and give it a good shove so I could get loose.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
You have a Great Wife (and Dad)… Let them know that MOWING is one of the most-hazardous operations. In the last 5 or 6 years in this county…. someone has been knocked-off their tractor by a low branch or loss-of-balance for some reason… and fallen off the seat and shredded by their own mower or tangled into the driveshaft. :eek:
That’s very true. Just too dangerous to be sitting nearby. And it’s one of the reasons I like the seatbelt on the Kubota. I always wear the seatbelt when mowing even if it’s on flat ground away from trees. Seeing the results of a couple of those fell/knocked off tractor incidents will make you put on the seatbelt.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
" Being in a hurry and thinking more about the next three things I had to do instead of concentrating on what I was doing. Forgot to block the trailer wheels but fortunately also didn’t disconnect the safety chains. As soon as the hitch cleared the ball it jumped back about 6” as it attempted a solo run down the slope it was on. "

Every time I move one of my trailers on my NON flat @#@#$# property......... I have to hitch and lock the ball ....and hook a chain up......

several times when drop the 3 point and UNHOOK the ball the trailer will roll a bit - and the chain does a great job until I can chock the tires......... yes - I did have one run away from me, damn I hurt myself catching up to it.
I always train the newbies at work to leave the safety chains hooked up on any of our pieces of equipment when dropping them on customer sites.

Especially when it's questionable whether the equipment is gonna stay put or not.

We had a former employee drop off a piece of equipment in a customers lay down yard. He unhooked the chains, popped the latch and started jacking up the tongue. Equipment took off down a hill. Destroyed about $2,000 worth of pipe.

I rolled up about 20 minutes after he left the site and found the equipment sitting in a stack of pipe. He just drove off and pleaded ignorant.

I called the boss and sent him pictures so he could address the issue with the customer.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
...luckily I had my cell phone in my pocket and was able call for help. Help arrived within 20 minutes... Had I not had my phone, which I don't always do, I would have been fastened there for several hours.
This is the most important message I got from your post. Thanks for sharing and glad it was not more serious.

About 4 years ago I was working on a plank about 11 feet up, at the house next door that I have been renovating forever, and due to a poor decision, ended up doing a face plant on the hard driveway below. Broke my left heel and could not walk, could not see well without my glasses that turned up later missing one lens and bent badly...

Fortunately I had my phone in my pocket and could call the wife for a ride to the ER. Otherwise I guess I could have crawled 400 feet to the house...

Message is, if you have a cell phone try to carry it with you when you are working. Never know when you might need it. It could even turn out to be a life saver.

Reactions: 1 user

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
I worked with a guy that was unhooking what i call a rotary hoe. He was accident prone type but some how it got away from him and drove a spike though his foot pinning him.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Cell phone is something I should probably start carrying.

Was in the Buttercup dunes years ago driving Lil Foot & stopped for a break. While sipping a cold one, (not alcoholic) I heard a faint horn tooting, 3 toots, then a pause, then 3 more. Kept repeating.
Sounded like an SOS to me.
We could not readily figure out where it was coming from, but a few forays to the compass points and we zeroed in on it.
Turns out it was an older gentleman on a large quad, riding alone, who had somehow rolled off the side of a bowl & down to the bottom, where the quad landed on top of him. He was not hurt badly, just bumps & bruises, but he was pinned in an awkward position and could not lift the quad.
HE COULD REACH THE HORN.
Without the horn, I'm not sure what would have happened or how long he would have lain there, but the incident impressed me with the need for a loud, functioning horn on all my vehicles.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
"What If"

I ask myself that before I do most things.....(most of the time) :)

Glad it was just a metatarsal.....heck, you got a bunch more in there....no prob!

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
Thanks for the story. I can not remove my grapple like yours is shown. If I tried to remove it with the quick attach it would rock backwards. I have to remove mine like in this video where it's open and there is no chance of the arms dropping off.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Thanks for the story. I can not remove my grapple like yours is shown. If I tried to remove it with the quick attach it would rock backwards. I have to remove mine like in this video where it's open and there is no chance of the arms dropping off.

That was a good video. I have always closed my grapple lid for removal of the attachment. After watching the video, I intend to try that method. Having the cylinders fully retracted also helps protect them from moisture. Thanks for sharing and have a good day!