A work in progress (5' Boom Pole)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is this where you are talking about? I ground the upright and recessed the top beam into it. I can easily add a strap if you think it should have one.
Thanks
Yes that is exactly where I was talking about. :D

Can anyone please explain any uses of this implement that would be preferable over a FEL or BH?
This post just schooled me on the existence of said implement, now i am just trying to understand it.
I can certainly see its usefulness for lifting stuff, but does it really only make sense to own one if you DONT have a FEL or BH?
Thanks in advance!
Another use of a boom pole is if you have a FEL with a quick attach bucket you can add the three point adapter and use it on there.
I have used them to set trusses on buildings. ;)

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
ah! 3 pt adapter for the SSQA……..very nice idea. Just learned about a new piece of hardware! gonna go broke surfing this site!

I can certainly see how that would increase your reach. Also good point about getting into a tighter spot.

I also see a benefit over the backhoe as its not convenient to move the tractor while using the backhoe if you needed to inch something into place.

My new rig will have a FEL and BH, I was just trying to understand if a boom pole would still be useful to me.

Thank you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
ah! 3 pt adapter for the SSQA……..very nice idea. Just learned about a new piece of hardware! gonna go broke surfing this site!

I can certainly see how that would increase your reach. Also good point about getting into a tighter spot.

I also see a benefit over the backhoe as its not convenient to move the tractor while using the backhoe if you needed to inch something into place.

My new rig will have a FEL and BH, I was just trying to understand if a boom pole would still be useful to me.

Thank you.
HH,

I had a factory boom pole that cost about $150 new back in the day, on the back of my ford 8n, use to use ice tongs to pick up railroad ties , worked like magic -

http://cdn3.volusion.com/wf72e.9ho5t/v/vspfiles/photos/FCRC-1-Rear-Mounted-Crane-5.jpg

piece of rope around the tongs - hit the tie in the middle - lift , transport, set down, really a nice cheap way to move back breakin heavy stuff!!!:D:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thats a great apparatus, will come in handy for many things. Was thinking of making a similar unit, that would accept the boom and hydraulic jack from my shop crane. This gives me the advantage of height as well as adjustable reach. I built a simple set of tongs for lifting cement pads, would be ideal for that.
Yours looks heavy for a bit of logging.

As the kids say now "thats greasy" aparrently its the new cool!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
nice build :D looks really handy :D

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Update:

The boom is working great for my original intended purposes for building it.:cool::D

Sense its completion, I have used it or tried to use it for other purposes. Some have went great :cool: :D others sot so good. :eek: :(

The only problem I have encountered is that I wish I had made it 7' instead of 5'. I could not lift a chevy 350 engine high enough to load it over the side is a pickup bed. If it had been 7' I could have easily done it. I am seriously considering adding a two foot section to the boom with proper reinforcing plates and top brace.