A beveled backhoe bucket is beautiful

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Okay, well, it's not beautiful, but it sure works better.

I've been doing some trenching with my backhoe to re-route my well line and add some outdoor irrigation points (frost hydrants). Running into a lot of small roots, like half to 1 inch buggers. Occasionally bigger, but run into a bunch of those smaller ones together and it can slow things down with a small machine like the BX25.

I took a look at the bucket, got out my angle grinder, and beveled the edges of the bucket. I saw a significant improvement in my digging speed. Seems like a small thing, but it made a very noticeable difference. Part of the difference was cutting through roots, but part of it was just cleaner trench walls, which meant less time spent cleaning out loose stuff.

Definitely worth my time to do the beveling. If I had to do it over again, though, I'd put the bevel entirely on the inside. I think that would work even better, keeping the "cutting" edge to the outside of the bucket.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
That's clever. Definitely something to keep in mind if I run into this problem on my BX23S.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Okay, well, it's not beautiful, but it sure works better.

I've been doing some trenching with my backhoe to re-route my well line and add some outdoor irrigation points (frost hydrants). Running into a lot of small roots, like half to 1 inch buggers. Occasionally bigger, but run into a bunch of those smaller ones together and it can slow things down with a small machine like the BX25.

I took a look at the bucket, got out my angle grinder, and beveled the edges of the bucket. I saw a significant improvement in my digging speed. Seems like a small thing, but it made a very noticeable difference. Part of the difference was cutting through roots, but part of it was just cleaner trench walls, which meant less time spent cleaning out loose stuff.

Definitely worth my time to do the beveling. If I had to do it over again, though, I'd put the bevel entirely on the inside. I think that would work even better, keeping the "cutting" edge to the outside of the bucket.
I can clearly see the bevel, but it is not at all obvious that is a BH bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm....The 12" bucket on my BX23S is already beveled. It also has 3 teeth which makes digging go a lot faster than a 'trenching' bucket.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The material that you are digging in is what makes the difference. I have no problems digging in sandy soil, but when I encounter large rocks, a small tractor is no match for them.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
hmm....The 12" bucket on my BX23S is already beveled. It also has 3 teeth which makes digging go a lot faster than a 'trenching' bucket.
Sounds like the same bucket. but mine came with a very flat edge.

My 16" bucket has 4 teeth, but the edge below them (the lip of the bucket) is a 1/2" square edge. I'm currently using it without the teeth to backfill my trenches. Works very well, because it doesn't dig in much. Makes me wonder how much better it would dig if that edge were beveled. I plan to find out next time I do a trench, which should be next year.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I have a ripper for bigger roots, and the BH77 powers thru the smaller roots pretty well, so I've not bothered to cut a bevel before. Your comment on it leaving a cleaner side wall with less loose dirt clean up makes sense. I will definitely try that out, thanks for the heads up.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Agreed. My 16" bucket is as sharp as a block of wood. Makes for a crappy looking trench. I've wondered if Kubota sold side cutters for the bucket and "chisel" teeth. There's much room for improvement in their choice of bucket design.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I think all of my B670 buckets are beveled on the sides, on the inside, but not to the point of being sharp.
I don't think it would take a lot of effort to get them sharp, but I think the effort would be lost in the rocky soil I have to dig in. (can't get a clean trench wall anyway because of all the rock pull-outs)
You can clearly see the bevel on the 10" bucket on the ground.
IMG_0065.JPG

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I think all of my B670 buckets are beveled on the sides, on the inside, but not to the point of being sharp.
I don't think it would take a lot of effort to get them sharp, but I think the effort would be lost in the rocky soil I have to dig in.

Yes, sharp isn't needed, but sometime less blunt than a square face has made a big difference.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Just out of curiosity did you spec a finish bucket for your hoe or is that just what came on them? Finish buckets arnt really made for digging. Kinda like digging a hole with a flat shovel. They Excell at loose material handling a finish/grading work.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok, wrong choice of word in "sharp". I think you guys know what I meant. sheesh.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Just out of curiosity did you spec a finish bucket for your hoe or is that just what came on them? Finish buckets arnt really made for digging. Kinda like digging a hole with a flat shovel. They Excell at loose material handling a finish/grading work.

It's just what came on it. Looking at the Kubota website, I don't see any finish buckets listed.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It's just what came on it. Looking at the Kubota website, I don't see any finish buckets listed.
Just so I understand, the flat (finish bucket) came with it. And there were no options for a tooth bucket? Or the finish bucket came with and there are no other options for a tooth bucket?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Just so I understand, the flat (finish bucket) came with it. And there were no options for a tooth bucket? Or the finish bucket came with and there are no other options for a tooth bucket?

Mine came with the three-toothed bucket, which is what I beveled. I bought the DR elsewhere.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Mine came with the three-toothed bucket, which is what I beveled. I bought the DR elsewhere.
Ok it wasn't real clear in the pictures if it was a tooth bucket or a finish bucket. Cheers.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Exactly correct!
I searched for a Kubota (branded) finish bucket with tapered bottom edge, and came to the conclusion that there is no such thing.

I have a new 16" Kubota bucket with 3 teeth.
I have ordered 3 extra teeth, as well as a 60" hunk of bucket cutting edge (60" was the shortest length I could find).

I will have a piece of the cutting edge welded to the 3 teeth, and then by simply driving out the tooth pins, will be able to swap between using the tapered edge, and/or the 3 spare teeth.
I have absolutely zero rocks, so only need teeth for occasional roots.

A pneumatic palm nailer works great for driving the tooth pins out!

Last edited: