9-12,000 watt Portable Standby Generator Recommendations

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Apparently you have assumed the mantra of content controller.
Unfortunately, that does not work to intimidate me!

Yes....I am a Vietnam veteran -Navy pilot!
Oops....I know now though that I should have not mentioned the pilot thing.
Soooo sorry!
fried1765 - - I would normally not respond to that kind of post, but need to in this instance.

Nope, I don't control anything.

Only trying to steer the thread I started back to its intended purpose/content.

No offense was intended.

Honestly, an OTT thread dedicated to Veterans would not be a bad thing.

Trust me, when I say I appreciate your service, it's sincere.

While I didn't serve, have many family members that did.

Some of them didn't come home....

I'll leave it at that.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You certainly know there are plenty of squirrels in the forest then 😂
As a fart smucker.....I can tell you there's squirrels out there.... ;)

They also taste good.....

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Sometimes we lose power when there’s a lot of snow. Makes for a long haul to the north side.
curious....
Is there some real good reason why you can't move the genny to the 'north side' where it needs to 'before the snow falls '?
You can put a tarp over it if 'someone' doesn't like it being there or better yet ,get 'them' to haul it from the 'south' to the 'north' as required......

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I’m looking at various transfer switches, etc.

Tough part is entrance and load center are at opposite end of the house from where generator is stored in the garage. 65 feet in all.
This is what I used when I was running off of the portable generator. It was installed next to the main panel and it allows for a number of circuits to be "moved" to the sub panel. You can simply run wire from the gen plug in to the subpanel (like 10/3) to feed it. Not a big deal really.

Old Gen transfer switching.JPG

I don't use it anymore now that I have the standby generator which has the automatic switch. But I can still use it if there is a problem.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I wanted recommendations for a generator. Ancillary, I found it good to get recommendations on how to connect same to the house.

You guys started along the line of thought but diverged with time.
Well...I did in fact tell you how "I' do mine in posts #20 and #31.

Afterward nearly all 'divergences' concerned the 'safety' aspects of doing so. After all...it is important that information concerning electrical hook ups, be accurate, factual and complete. I believe most would agree.

And I even share your position of not really caring how many hours someone has as a pilot or degrees earned unless they relate directly to the subject matter.

Hopefully the posts contributed so far have given you some direction and food for thought. Your situation is unique and not conveniently solved with a 'portable' but I've been able to make mine work using a long 6 ga. shore line.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Before doing much "boosting" you need to know the Hz. Keep it at about 61 so that when a load is applied it will settle in at 60.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Before doing much "boosting" you need to know the Hz. Keep it at about 61 so that when a load is applied it will settle in at 60.
Thanks for the reminder, Magic.

I got voltage where it needed to be, then realized my meter doesn't do Hz.....grrr.....

I'm an idiot, entering neophyte with electricity. Never did anything more than voltage, continuity and resistance. Had to look at the manual for each.... ;)

This doesn't change my mission for a bigger generator, but would like to know this one is where it needs to be.

Talking gusty storms tomorrow.....

88CA7D3D-9554-4CC7-BE18-774A6463B8C4.jpeg

082FE796-6CEC-425E-9479-0DF9A9013A58.jpeg

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
So far in 2022, I've gotten a lot of practice running our older 5.5k watt generator during power outages.
Anyone have a portable generator in the 9-12kw range they recommend?
Jeese, almost 90 post for a rather simple question.

I got my set-up with three questions. What do we need ? What can we afford? What is the local requirements ?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I got voltage where it needed to be, then realized my meter doesn't do Hz.....grrr.....
You can find one that you can mount on the genny to monitor both voltage & Hz. I Googled and found many.

The Champion unit that I got cycles between run hours, voltage, & Hz. You adjust the throttle for Hz.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Magicman gave me a good reminder to check frequency. My multimeter doesn’t do frequency.

Stopped at Lowes after work and they had a simple pocket meter that does for $30.

Voltage on 120v outlet

B32C6D17-6C3D-4FF0-83D9-BA09CA2A7D01.jpeg

Hertz same outlet. Other 3 measure similar. Didn’t check them under load. Also didn’t check the 240v outlet.

DCDFA696-4868-45E7-8F12-C3651421B782.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Okay - - I've got the old genny to where I know it does what it's supposed to do.

Let's get back to the new ones.

@Magicman, @Clint from Flint and @Biker1mike all recommended generators similar to those I'm looking at.

These are some I'm looking at. Not tied to Amazon, it's just where I could find them..

I think I prefer both 4-120v outlets, as well as both a 30A and 50A-240v outlet to plug into the house....I think...:rolleyes:

Before a transfer switch is rigged up, I will likely have to power the house for a while with cords as we've done for years.

The first, the Champion and the last, the DuroMax are my favorites thus far. A couple of you guys have Champion, and I've heard other outside recommendations for the DuroMax.

The DuroMax is probably the #1 choice so far at 500cc single. The Champion is a V-twin 700cc engine....I do have an affinity for V-twins.... ;)

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 100111 15,000/12,000-Watt Portable Generator with Electric Start and Lift Hook : Everything Else

Amazon.com: Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Home Backup Portable Generator, 12500 Peak Watts & 9500 Rated Watts, Remote Electric Start, Transfer Switch Ready, Gas and Propane Powered, CARB Compliant : Everything Else

Amazon.com : GENMAX Dual Fuel Portable Generator 12000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Electric Start-Home Back Up, EPA Compliant : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: DuroMax XP13000HX Dual Fuel Portable Generator-13000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Electric Start w/CO Alert, 50 State Approved, Blue : Everything Else

I'm accustomed to a B&G, Tecumseh, Kohler, Onan, or other "known" engine manufacturer.

I've had good luck with B&G, Kohler. Despise Tecumseh, although I could make them run and fix them. I think Onan is out of business and NLA.

None have a "brand" engine...are you guys concerned with that?

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I think I prefer both 4-120v outlets, as well as both a 30A and 50A-240v outlet to plug into the house....I think...:rolleyes:
Yes, definitely get something with as many different receptacles as possible. I use the 50 amp to plug into the house and sometimes run a heavy cord on the 30amp twist-loc in the house and split it off to several shorter cords.

Big Red3.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, definitely get something with as many different receptacles as possible. I use the 50 amp to plug into the house and sometimes run a heavy cord on the 30amp twist-loc in the house and split it off to several shorter cords.

View attachment 86362
Thanks - - that's what I was looking for. I can see times I'd want to work it different ways depending on weather, length of outage, etc.

I like that yours is a B&S generator. Seem to be an industry standard for a while.

Although branded Troy-Bilt, my old one is also an older and smaller B&S genny....

I do like that some of them measure voltage, amperage and hertz on a small, cycling LED read-out.

While running off a cord to the generator, my pellet stove blew the igniter, and could have blown the circuit board during an outage in April. I'll know better in the next couple weeks. Generator was running ~107 volts at the time.

Could have also been the circumstances that caused the outage (12'' of wet snow pulling everything down), but the generator voltage wasn't right at the time either.

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My generator choice was because I have Champion experience with two others, but mainly because it is Tri-Fuel so no bother with gasoline nor LP which can be a genuine pain plus expensive during extended outages.
IMG_1735~0.JPG

My water heater and thus natural gas is behind that wall.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My generator choice was because I have Champion experience with two others, but mainly because it is Tri-Fuel so no bother with gasoline nor LP which can be a genuine pain plus expensive during extended outages.
View attachment 86367
My water heater and thus natural gas is behind that wall.
Certainly makes sense. Don't see many portables that are tri-fuel.

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas
Okay - - I've got the old genny to where I know it does what it's supposed to do.

Let's get back to the new ones.

@Magicman, @Clint from Flint and @Biker1mike all recommended generators similar to those I'm looking at.

These are some I'm looking at. Not tied to Amazon, it's just where I could find them..

Before a transfer switch is rigged up, I will likely have to power the house for a while with cords as we've done for years.

The first, the Champion and the last, the DuroMax are my favorites thus far. A couple of you guys have Champion, and I've heard other outside recommendations for the DuroMax.

The DuroMax is probably the #1 choice so far at 500cc single. The Champion is a V-twin 700cc engine....I do have an affinity for V-twins.... ;)

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 100111 15,000/12,000-Watt Portable Generator with Electric Start and Lift Hook : Everything Else

Amazon.com: Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Home Backup Portable Generator, 12500 Peak Watts & 9500 Rated Watts, Remote Electric Start, Transfer Switch Ready, Gas and Propane Powered, CARB Compliant : Everything Else

Amazon.com : GENMAX Dual Fuel Portable Generator 12000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Electric Start-Home Back Up, EPA Compliant : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: DuroMax XP13000HX Dual Fuel Portable Generator-13000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Electric Start w/CO Alert, 50 State Approved, Blue : Everything Else

I'm accustomed to a B&G, Tecumseh, Kohler, Onan, or other "known" engine manufacturer.

I've had good luck with B&G, Kohler. Despise Tecumseh, although I could make them run and fix them. I think Onan is out of business and NLA.

None have a "brand" engine...are you guys concerned with that?
From what i understand Generac has a Generac brand motor

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm resurrecting my own thread from a year ago.

One thing I've learned about is Bonded Neutral versus Floating Neutral Generators.

Maybe it's not a common issue, looks like it can be an issue if both the Generator and the connection are bonded when connected as a "whole house" feed?

Two bonds can make for some unexpected charges/electrocution from the generator itself?

Sounds like a Floating Neutral is the preferred?

EDIT - a while back on this thread @Flintknapper was kind enough to post a photo of his generator.

I now notice it's labelled as "Neutral Bonded to the Frame." Not sure if good or bad.

Big Red3 - revised v2.jpg

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm resurrecting my own thread from a year ago.

One thing I've learned about is Bonded Neutral versus Floating Neutral Generators.

Maybe it's not a common issue, looks like it can be an issue if both the Generator and the connection are bonded when connected as a "whole house" feed?

Two bonds can make for some unexpected charges/electrocution from the generator itself?

Sounds like a Floating Neutral is the preferred?

EDIT - a while back on this thread @Flintknapper was kind enough to post a photo of his generator.

I now notice it's labelled as "Neutral Bonded to the Frame." Not sure if good or bad.

View attachment 117103
Your home already has a bonded neutral. Look in your breaker panel. Ground and neutral wires are probably landed in the same bar. Most portable and standby genes are Floating Neutral because the structures electrical system is already bonded.
In the case of an RV, there is no bonded ground already. That's where a BG gene would be needed.