9-12,000 watt Portable Standby Generator Recommendations

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I'm ready to hire a qualified electrician, with or without this counties permits/license and just get it done.
That can be an expensive mistake, down the road, or sooner. And you might not get much cooperation from the power company without that paperwork. Funny how they often are in close touch with the permit people.

Some jurisdictions can get pretty ridiculous about it, but almost all will make you wish you had done it their way.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That can be an expensive mistake, down the road, or sooner. And you might not get much cooperation from the power company without that paperwork. Funny how they often are in close touch with the permit people.

Some jurisdictions can get pretty ridiculous about it, but almost all will make you wish you had done it their way.
I fully understand what you're saying. Did you read the next sentence of the part you quoted? I've had their estimator out a couple of weeks ago to go over some details to suit them. I even has them for any electricians they would recommend. Folks don't answer request, I guess they have too much work.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I used a portable for years, I bought it the morning after an ice storm hit when my daughter was 6 months old. It worked reliably for years and saw a fair amount of use but I knew I didn't want to spend my retirement years fooling with it. It stayed in the barn and when the power failed (seemingly mostly at night during blowing snow), I would trudge out to the barn and start it up and then wheel it to the house (which is further uphill from the barn). Then flip off most of the inside breakers, plug it in followed by bringing critical circuits back online. It wasn't a terrible inconvenience but it wasn't the setup I wanted.

In 2018 I installed a 40 KW diesel powered unit in the barn, 30 KW would have sufficed but the move up to 40 KW was less than $1,000 more and used a more fuel efficient Mitsubishi 3.3L 4 cylinder turbocharged direct injection engine with electronic fine override of the mechanical governor to control output frequency. With this generator, I also installed an Asco commercial level automatic transfer switch that allows for a programmable warmup timer for the generator which most of the standard homeowner units don't provide. Once the power is off for 6 seconds, it sends a start command to the generator and when it sees power with acceptable voltage and frequency from the generator it starts a 4 minute countdown timer and then transfers power. The timer allows for the engine to warm up a bit and for the compressors in the refrigerators and deep freeze to equalize, the central AC units have their own 3 minute delay before coming back on after a power outage. Once commercial power is present again, it starts a 3 minute watch timer to ensure it is stable then does an in phase transfer back to commercial and does a 5 minute cool down run.

It wasn't cheap but I travel a fair amount these days and I wanted something highly reliable that will also easily run for days during an outage. The electronic controller for the engine monitors multiple parameters and will do a shutdown for high water or oil temp, low oil pressure, low fuel, voltage/frequency out of range, etc. so it does a good job of protecting the setup. It displays total current being drawn along with current on each side of neutral to monitor loading and balance. I did the install and then had it inspected, total cost for the generator and transfer switch delivered was under $15K and I spent a few hundred more on the separate shutoff/breakers for the generator and wiring to the centrally mounted transfer switch. Its 60 gallon fuel tank provides a very long run time and I use the tank as a storage tank with pump for my tractor and mower which keeps the fuel from becoming stagnant, I also treat it with biocide.

A portable generator will keep things going but the smaller ones won't provide the clean waveform and stable power of a larger generator. The whole house surge protectors I use (one mounted at each panel) contain a filter to shunt noise on the AC line to ground and those metal cased units would sing along with the portable generator because of the hash it created with its far from perfect sine wave output. With the standby generator, they are quiet just like they are with commercial power. I never felt comfortable using my HP Z series workstation computers on the portable but I don't hesitate to use them on the clean power from the standby setup.

The only concern I have with the 40KW unit is making sure it is running under reasonable load enough of the time. In addition to a deep well pump, I have two central AC systems, two electric water heaters, two refrigerators and a large deep freeze, dehumidifiers, and several legal limit ham radio setups so it it pretty easy to put a big load on it during exercise runs and from time to time during a long power outage to keep the engine healthy. The central heaters and stove are propane but I switched the water heaters over to electric (I hate all of the trouble prone safety systems on the newest propane water heaters) so I needed something that would carry a pretty big load without concern.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I fully understand what you're saying. Did you read the next sentence of the part you quoted?
Yep.

I've had their estimator out a couple of weeks ago to go over some details to suit them. I even has them for any electricians they would recommend. Folks don't answer request, I guess they have too much work.

Yes, and can't be bothered to give you an ETA, either. But when dealing with the government, it's never a two-way street. It's all their way.

The fact that you talked to them and they left you hanging won't stop them from shoving it up and breaking it off if you go ahead without their permission. It will carry zero weight in court, should it come to that. Sometimes they are reasonable, but most times.... not so much.

Not worth the risk to me. YMMV.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
How you like the Kohler? I'm going to get a 20KW, but the guy selling it won't come to the county I'm in to wire it due to permits, license etc. He'll deliver it, set it in place, coach any installation and then come back and go through start up. He'll also service it as needed.
It's great now, but the initial experience was a little rough. No one told me that I needed to have a Kohler certified tech do the initial start up. So, I purchased a battery for it and connected it to the generator. A week later the tech showed up and I had a dead battery (which I returned). He installed a new battery.

There was a little difficulty getting the fuel rate adjusted initially, and the fuel solenoid had gotten stuck when it was cold (possibly due to when the fuel supply was opened and the air moisture froze the solenoid). I believe this issue was related to what I describe below.

The last issue happened approx a month ago. The generator had difficulty starting, and would run at low speed then shut down. I knew it was a fuel supply issue but could not find the specific cause. Kohler tech came (under warranty) and he couldn't determine the issue initially. He then mentioned that he wanted to check one more possible cause that he had seen happen only twice. Well, there is a check valve on the face of the regulator that allows air pressure to escape from the diaphragm. The little orifice had been plugged by mud daubers that prevented the check ball from moving. We cleaned it out and it runs like a champ now.

I replaced the vent/check plug with one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Maxitrol-13A155-protector-outdoor-applications/dp/B00QW21CJ8

Shouldn't have another issue with the regulator.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've been doing the same research for my MIL. She lives in frequent blackout country, thanks to politics (but we won't go there).

If there is ANY possibility of you being out of town or.... maybe in the hospital? when an outage hits, does whoever is left at home have the ability and knowledge to get your portable hooked up safely and running? OR, if there's nobody home, are things going to be okay without power until you get back?

Something to consider, anyway....
Yeah, follows BAP's consideration. I'm at work every day except weekends and holidays. We're also crowding 60 hard, so we're getting older too.

RBsingl

Equipment
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
My generator is getting some exercise this morning after a series of storms blew through starting around 4:30 A.M. A few poles are down in the western part of the county with multiple towns reporting power outages. It went out here just after 5 and the generator started and switched over a few minutes later.

The power crews are going to be busy today!

Rodger

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Well, there is a check valve on the face of the regulator that allows air pressure to escape from the diaphragm. The little orifice had been plugged by mud daubers that prevented the check ball from moving.
Those mud daubers are the plague. We have them plus mason bees. They have ruined equipment for me.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
IMG_1746.JPG

My Tri-Fuel genny is set up on Natural Gas using the Grey hose on the left.
IMG_1734.JPG

And connected to the electrical service through this.
IMG_1733.JPG

I bought the GenerLink and my Power Company installed it.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Westinghouse 9.5K runs our entire house, Oil hot water furnace , deep water pump, 2 refers, a large freezer, several TV and the internet , and land line. In hot weather the 4 portable AC units push the generator to the limit so we shut some doors and run only the AC we need.
They have gas or duel fuel. I have just gas.
Portable is questionable. The sucker has wheels and a big handle but weighs around 325 lbs.
Set up is simple. A 220 line from unit to a outlet/inlet on the side of the house. This is hard wired to the breaker box as a 220 line. A basic slide acts as safety so generator cannot back feed the line.
I run about 12 hours on 6 gallons of fuel , depending on load.
I keep the battery on a battery manager at all times.
Unit is kept and run in a plastic shed made for garbage cans. I added a fan and vents for air flow.
It is not quite but we all sleep to the hum.
View attachment 84388
I have this setup. It works great. You can run anything in the house. Just not everything at once.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have this setup. It works great. You can run anything in the house. Just not everything at once.
Our home is all electric....so we do the same thing. Can run anything we want and in good combination, just not everything at one time (central A/C along with washer/dryer and more) but we can pick what items we run and not be inconvenienced at all.

I added an Auxiliary fuel tank to my gen-set that gravity feeds the main tank....for extended run time.

And installed a U1 size battery hooked parallel to the smaller OEM starting battery....so I always have plenty of cranking power.

BR Gen Aux Tank2.jpg

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've kept looking at generators, and different ways to transfer power to the house.

Really like the transfer pan Magicman posted. Never seen one. The tough part with any transfer switch is my house entrance and main panel are 65 feet away from my garage. Same structure - - opposite ends.

Will be tough to wheel/lug a portable genny that far if we have 4 feet of snow and no power.......

In the meantime, figured I'll look at the current generator, just to see if I can measure output in AC volts, etc.

Started by looking at part(s) availability, if needed. Started with brushes, AVR, etc.

Turns out many parts are NLA. Some important ones are, like the AVR. Brushes are NLA by the first look at it.

Haven’t measured output or pulled anything apart yet, so premature to say it’s seen it’s last hurrah..

I'll check voltage output first. Guessing there's no way to measure output capacity in amperes with just a DVOM?

A simple cleaning of the alternator and components might help. Can’t hurt. Been a while since I checked air filter, but will do so (again) while changing oil. It's ran a lot this year......

Engine is tagged as a 2009 build date. It's dusty, but that's from storage in my garage, guessing the internals of the generator end will be pretty clean.

455E286E-8CA2-4758-B0EB-DECB3570DCB9.jpeg

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm still in the research phase of getting a stand-by generator. From online research, it appears propane/lp is not the cost effective way to go, so have been looking at gas only.

Inverter generators have great reviews, but they cost more and don't go up to the wattage you're looking for.

Based on online reviews only, this is what I would look at: Champion 100485 PRO 11,500/9,200-Watt Portable Generator with EFI and CO Shield
Gasoline stations need electricity to pump gas!
You might want to reconsider your propane/LP "not the cost effective way to go" thinking.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Gasoline stations need electricity to pump gas!
You might want to reconsider your propane/LP "not the cost effective way to go" thinking.
I live in the country. Don't have LP piped to the house. It's delivered by truck. In the zombie apocalypse you're describing, it would be much easier for me to "obtain" gasoline over LP. (-;

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
We hardly ever lose power where I live. I did just out of curiosity look into a whole house Generac including installation and the roundabout figure was $12000! If I did get one for sure the power will never go out!!!! I guess I will stick with my portable and extension cords! I have two propane burners that require no electricity, so heat is covered. I sure do miss running water when the power does go out. Getting 5 gallon pails from the pool to flush the toilet doesn't work in the wintertime! I'm considering just having an electrician set up what's needed for an exterior plug for my portable genny.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We hardly ever lose power where I live. I did just out of curiosity look into a whole house Generac including installation and the roundabout figure was $12000! If I did get one for sure the power will never go out!!!! I guess I will stick with my portable and extension cords! I have two propane burners that require no electricity, so heat is covered. I sure do miss running water when the power does go out. Getting 5 gallon pails from the pool to flush the toilet doesn't work in the wintertime! I'm considering just having an electrician set up what's needed for an exterior plug for my portable genny.
You can backfeed your house through any dryer or welder receptacle, but you MUST understand EXACTLY how to SAFELY do that .

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
You can backfeed your house through any dryer or welder receptacle, but you MUST understand EXACTLY how to SAFELY do that .
Careful doing this. •• It’s against code. The National Electrical Code [NEC 406.6(B)], states that “no receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of an energized attachment as its source of supply."
Your home owners insurance becomes null and void. If you back feed the grid the power company can and will sue you big time. If you injure a lineman you will be charged .
Do it right. It does not cost that much to have inlet set up. Either a separate breaker box or a cross over switch that allows ONLY the main or generator to energize the line .

Reactions: 2 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I've kept looking at generators, and different ways to transfer power to the house.

Really like the transfer pan Magicman posted. Never seen one. The tough part with any transfer switch is my house entrance and main panel are 65 feet away from my garage. Same structure - - opposite ends.

Will be tough to wheel/lug a portable genny that far if we have 4 feet of snow and no power.......

In the meantime, figured I'll look at the current generator, just to see if I can measure output in AC volts, etc.

Started by looking at part(s) availability, if needed. Started with brushes, AVR, etc.

Turns out many parts are NLA. Some important ones are, like the AVR. Brushes are NLA by the first look at it.

Haven’t measured output or pulled anything apart yet, so premature to say it’s seen it’s last hurrah..

I'll check voltage output first. Guessing there's no way to measure output capacity in amperes with just a DVOM?

A simple cleaning of the alternator and components might help. Can’t hurt. Been a while since I checked air filter, but will do so (again) while changing oil. It's ran a lot this year......

Engine is tagged as a 2009 build date. It's dusty, but that's from storage in my garage, guessing the internals of the generator end will be pretty clean.
A simple clamp on ammeter will let you measure output current, a cheap unit from Harbor Freight (under $15) will work.

Your 5,500 watt rated generator should deliver about 23 amps @ 240 volts under rated load. It is important to keep things well balanced if you are running a bunch of 120 volt stuff so that it isn't mostly on one side of the output.

For years, I made do with a 7,500 watt portable that I bought the morning after an ice storm when my daughter was an infant. It did the job of running heat, refrigerators, and lighting but I had to shut down most other stuff when running the deep well pump. I have two large captive storage tanks giving close to 50 gallons of drawdown between pump cycles so that wasn't too bad.

What was bad was:

1. The generator was stored in the barn so when the power failed (usually at night during a snow storm), I would go out to the barn and start the generator and then wheel it to the house to hook it up.

2. Initially I didn't use a transfer switch with it. I used a separate dual pole breaker with a cord running outside to back feed the house. So the sequence was to throw the main breaker, throw the branch breakers, connect the generator and energize its breaker, and then bring the critical circuits back online.

3. It was noisy and required checking fuel fairly often. The output was also fairly dirty. I have high end impulse suppression/RFI suppression boxes at the main panel where power comes into the property and at the breaker panels in the house, barn, and both outbuildings. The boxes would "sing" along with the generator as they filtered the garbage it was producing. I never felt comfortable using my workstation computers or any other expensive electronics on generator power.

4. I never felt comfortable running the 3600 RPM gas engine for extended periods of time so it would get a shut down and oil check every 8 to 10 hours during extended outages.

None of this was stuff I wanted to deal with in retirement so I put in a 40 KW diesel standby generator with auto start controller and an auto transfer switch a few years ago.

The standby generator is mounted in the bottom story of the barn which is built into the side of a hill so it is basically a partial basement keeping the generator room warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. The 3.3L 4 cylinder Mitsubishi turbo-diesel is very quiet outside of the barn and the 1,800 RPM operation helps. It has a 60 gallon tank and the engine/genset has a nice controller which handles starting, watches operating parameters for both the engine and generator, and tracks maintenance interval, fuel level, total output current and current both sides of neutral, etc.

I installed an ASCO 200 amp commercial grade auto transfer switch at the main power entrance for the property. Once the power fails (or goes under voltage) for 6 seconds, it sends a start signal to the generator. Once it sees output of the proper voltage and frequency from the generator it starts a 4 minute warmup timer and then transfers the load. It also runs a 25 minute generator test/exercise each month with the house running from the generator. Switching from commercial to generator power is very smooth.

Total cost wasn't cheap but it is a great convenience while I am at home and is also a very reliable system to ensure power when I am traveling. I looked at some of the packaged options including generac but preferred this setup from a supplier in Georgia. The standard homeowner Generac quality is far less and a commercial Generac product was far more expensive. The prime mover is the same Mitsubishi used in a number of Cat forklifts so filters and parts are readily available if needed.

Another option several farmers in this area are using is running retired from service gensets from cell sites. These are commercial quality also with fairly low hours and are a good deal used if available from a reseller in your area.

Back feeding a portable can be done safely but only if you are careful and know exactly what you are doing. It isn't legal for good reason and the price of a transfer switch of some type or other defeat device that doesn't allow the generator to back feed the main power line is a small cost for doing it right.

Rodger

AQ9I4258.jpg
B18T6247.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The standby generator is mounted in the bottom story of the barn which is built into the side of a hill so it is basically a partial basement keeping the generator room warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. The 3.3L 4 cylinder Mitsubishi turbo-diesel is very quiet outside of the barn and the 1,800 RPM operation helps. It has a 60 gallon tank and the engine/genset has a nice controller which handles starting, watches operating parameters for both the engine and generator, and tracks maintenance interval, fuel level, total output current and current both sides of neutral, etc.
Very nice setup !!! Way above what I need or use.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Careful doing this. •• It’s against code. The National Electrical Code [NEC 406.6(B)], states that “no receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of an energized attachment as its source of supply."
Your home owners insurance becomes null and void. If you back feed the grid the power company can and will sue you big time. If you injure a lineman you will be charged .
Do it right. It does not cost that much to have inlet set up. Either a separate breaker box or a cross over switch that allows ONLY the main or generator to energize the line .
Against code .....yes!

"home owners insurance becomes null and void"......who says so?
"If you injure a lineman you will be charged".....history of actual cases please.
Are you an electrical inspector, electrician, or a power company employee?

I have been back feeding my panel (when necessary) for 50+ years!
It is not rocket science!
My homeowners insurance has never become "null and void", and I have never been sued by anyone for any reason!