80 foot trench for propane line

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
In truth we may not have any other real options than propane. The heat pump idea leaves me cold (so to speak)...
[/QUOTE]
I would certainly recommend propane as a heat source. I have a 30 x 52 shop with a second-floor loft that I heat with a propane on demand wall hung boiler. Great for zoning separate areas. Main floor is radiant, and second floor is rads. All on a 500-pound propane tank that is filled once a year. I also have baseboard electric heaters set lower in case the main system fails. I retired from the trade and do not know of any A/C mechanics that have a heat pump in their own homes. With a more temperate climate on Vancouver Island it could still be an option but do not expect a blast of hot air. With a heat pump you would have air conditioning in the summer and if you have another heat wave like last summer you might appreciate it.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
They really push the heat pumps out here - lots of subsidies and press. I like to have options. If the power goes off (something I expect more of in the future with this push to overload the system) the idea of having an alternative source of heat appeals to me.

The explosion fear was because we live in a very forested area that has a history of wind blowing down large trees - she is concerned one could hit a big tank of propane. Not sure how a 500 or 1000 gallon tank is rated for such a thing.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Blowing up a propane tank is extremely hard. Without the presence of oxygen inside the tank, it will leak and burn off the vapor, but not explode.

Back to trenching....

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Agree , use a trencher..MUSH faster for little money !
While you're at it, lay in a 1" polypipe for future 'communications' cable(CAT5) for remote camera,security,etc.
if you don't do it now....next year you'll be kicking yourself saying ' Why,didn't I , grrrrrrrrrrrrrr'
Also tape a 14/1 'conduit wire' to the pipeline, to be used as a tracer . Standard proceedure here.
Oh yeah, take pictures ! from house to shed, shed to house..just in case you forget to put the wire into the trench....
And.... maybe run the PE gas line inside a 2" (??) poly pipe. Adds protection and if needed to be replaced, it'll be a simple 'pull' not a 'dig' ordeal...
Last summer I had the entire 1700 Ft. drive paved ($$$). We have an island in front of the house and once of those plastic fish ponds with a little waterfall. The problem is that we had not power to the island and the solar just wasn't cutting it.
When the road pavers came, I already had laid out the one-inch PCV for them to pave over. One the few goods ideas I had in a long time.
Is has been such a success that we have a serious fishpond, with lights, little fountain and a small gazebo with ceiling fans, lights and a bug zapper.
What was once about 300 feet of wasted space is now our go-to place from March through October.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe a dumb question, but if I had to dig a trench where I am, all I would dig through IS sand. Do you know what your soil is composed of already? I might have to pick out an occasional rock, but could lay the copper right in the trench and bury it.
Same here.....but all ground is not created equal.