7610HST shifting PTO with mower

jcork

Apr 27, 2011
Idaho
I tend to use the clutch when changing H/L or 2/4Wd. It doesn't work so well when using my 4' rotary mower. Shifting PTO-ON is smooth and quiet. When I try and shift PTO-OFF I usually get a grinding.

Do I need to throttle-down when shifting the PTO Off, or perform some other ritual?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm not experienced with the 7610, although I imagine that it works like my B7100. It isn't necessary to use the clutch to shift from hi to low, or 2wd to 4wd, although it doesn't hurt anything. But, you need to use the clutch when turning the pto on or off. If you're good, you can shift the pto into neutral without using the clutch, but I find it easy to go too far forward, and hit hi, which will grind. I'm not sure if that's what you are hearing, but your tractor probably has an internal overrun clutch, which will click when you disengage the pto, but the implement is still spinning. That is normal, but if you throttle down before disengaging, it will minimize that.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say put in the clutch and pause for a moment and see if you can turn off the pto without it grinding. In my mind a tractor could be similar to a tractor trailer, big rigs have a clutch break in them. Meaning push in the clutch and pause for a moment and let the rpms drop to engage. Alot of idiot truck drivers dont seem to undestand that and if you ever watch a commerical truck jump and buck when a driver shifts from foarward to reverse this is why.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'd say put in the clutch and pause for a moment and see if you can turn off the pto without it grinding. In my mind a tractor could be similar to a tractor trailer, big rigs have a clutch break in them. Meaning push in the clutch and pause for a moment and let the rpms drop to engage. Alot of idiot truck drivers dont seem to undestand that and if you ever watch a commerical truck jump and buck when a driver shifts from foarward to reverse this is why.
The principle involved is the rotating mass of the gears and shafts in the transmission. When you push in the clutch, things are still spinning, but slowing down. If you throttle down, things turn slower; if you wait a few seconds after depressing the clutch, you allow things to come to a stop.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
My MX5100 has a delay when I engage the PTO, and the PTO comes on gradually. I was using the clutch, but I found that I let the clutch out and there was still a delay in the pto coming on. Now I don't use the clutch and it seems to work perfectly. I do throttle down.