7030 lost power steering and 3 point ?

THE MACHINIST

Equipment
Jul 31, 2015
Sandpoint Idaho usa
I have a late 80s early 90s m7030n 4wd. I recently lost power steering and the ability to raise the 3 point

someone told me a hydraulic filter or port could be blocked. Not sure where that filter is or port.

I do still have hydraulic power to the accessory ports on the rear which I have my bucket hooked to

thanks for any suggestions-in advance

james

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It appears like there is a separate system for the power steering.
forum M7030 power ssteering pump.jpg

forum M7030 power steering oil tank.jpg

It is possible the ps system has its own supply. I do not know but this is an educated guess.

There is a hydraulic filter for the main system

forum M7030 filter.jpg

These two illustrations should help you locate the filter. There are two possible systems.

forum M7030  suction new.jpg

forum M7030 suction old.jpg

The loader which you have connected to the rear remotes should share the same oil supply as the 3 pt hitch. I suggest you unplug the loader remotes and see if the 3 pt starts to work.

How many lines are connected to the loader control valve. 6 or 7?

dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Is there a Kubota model number on your loader? M1880A perhaps.

When you mention bucket I just assume you meant a loader bucket.

Could you post a photo of the whole tractor please. I need to get a sense of what controls are present.

It looks from your two photos that your bucket is completely controlled by two pairs of rear remotes and not a true loader valve.

A true loader valve would have 4 lines for control of the loader. Two for the bucket and two for the lift arms.

A true loader valve would have an IN line from the hydraulic pump, a TANK line to return flow to the reservoir since the hydraulic system is an OPEN CENTER design. This setup totals the 6 lines I asked about. A 7th line, if present, would be a POWER BEYOND line to feed high pressure hydraulic oil to other users such as the 3 pt hitch and rear remotes.

Your photos show the bucket and lift arm hoses coming from the rear remotes.

If this is the setup you have, you are missing out on easy control of your loader and also eliminating rear remotes for other uses.

Were you able to check if the power steering has its own tank for oil?

If the controls you are using for the bucket (rear remotes actually) are not returning to a neutral position, this could prevent the 3 pt hitch from working.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
In looking at the latest photos one item jumped out at me......the diameter of the hydraulic cylinders on this repurposed loader.

They look far too big for a modern hydraulic system.

I saw this once before where an older tractor's loader was used on a newer tractor. The old tractor's hydraulic system was designed for 1,500 psi and to get a strong lift with the loader larger diameter cylinders were used.

When this loader was installed on a tractor with a 2,600 psi hydraulic system the owner was delighted as the loader was incredibly strong. He came to realize the loader was so strong it was destroying itself and his tractor.

I am only looking at photos and may have mis judged things but you know what tractor the loader was originally on and could double check the hydraulic pressure on that machine.

I would hate to see you break the engine bell housing or the front axle.

Dave

THE MACHINIST

Equipment
Jul 31, 2015
Sandpoint Idaho usa
Thanks Dave the loader came off of a 70 HP Massey Ferguson. I don’t know about the pressure difference. It was from a similar vintage tractor is all I know. I have had it on my tractor for about 5 years without issue till now.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First, the three point not working and the steering no working are 2 separate issues, as the 2 systems on that model are not tied together at all.

The steering can be a multitude of things, like low oil in the reservoir, or blown steering cylinder seals, or a bad controller.

The three point is probably a control lever or feedback linkage issue since the loader is working, which is using 2 factory remotes that use the same oil flow as the three point control.