5740 Smoking Horribly

Bonanza1

Equipment
Feb 6, 2014
Bonanza Alberta
Hello. I am new to the forum. I have a 2010 Kubota 5740. It has always smoked horribly everytime I start it. It does not matter if its cold and plugged in, or hot outside. The dealership told me its normal, but it smokes bad and runs rough for up to a minute. I hate leaving it in my heated garage as it smoke the whole place out when I start it. Once it has been running it starts good the rest of the day with no smoke. Anyone have any ideas?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm just making a guess but it may be the injector pump is out of time just a degree or two.

I'll say this for sure though, the dealer is full of crap. Blowing smoke the way you described is not normal for a Kubota. Honestly blowing smoke like that isn't normal for anything built in the last 10 or 15 yrs. A black puff of smoke right when the engine first fires is normal but if you are smoking the whole garage up something is wrong.

If the dealer doesn't want to help you out might be worth your time to find a diesel repair shop in your area and talk to them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Diesels are notorious for cold smoke issues, I don't think there is much of a way around that.
One thing you can do is put in an exhaust vent pipe in the garage, make it with a flexible line that you can put over the exhaust pipe.
If you want a powered exhauster (suction) just use a portable dust collector like this and just ditch the bag and pipe it outside.
The internals of the blower are all metal so no real issues there, just change out the hose for a high temp hose. http://www.crushproof.com/exhaust-hoses

EDIT: I do agree with Bulldog, excessive smoke is an issue, and yes take it and have it looked at!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's 2 good links TripleR. I can understand that kind of smoke but the way Bonanza1 makes it sound his is much worse. Maybe I took it wrong though. Hopefully he will watch those videos and give us some feed back.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Are you fully heating the glow plugs, it sounds like there not getting hot or maybe one is bad and that cylinder has to warm up before actually having combustion. Not sure if kubota's have this feature but a lot of the newer diesels actually keep some current to the glow plugs to help warm up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Something isn't quite right with the engine as others have stated. On cold starts diesels can make some noise and smoke, but a 5740 is too modern to be a constant smoker. You may be able to find the service manual for your series engines, if not yours specifically that will tell you the values for the timing of the injection pump. Speak with a mechanic at your dealership, not the service manager. There are a bunch of cold start videos of various kubotas on youtube that you can look at. I believe the engine and various rated variants are used quite a bit.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Those 2 videos was the way my B3200 started until i adjusted the timing. Now just a little puff of smoke on start up and perfect.
I was thinking that too. I understand a little smoke for maybe 5 seconds, but not for a whole minute. I'm thinking injection pump timing off.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
That's 2 good links TripleR. I can understand that kind of smoke but the way Bonanza1 makes it sound his is much worse. Maybe I took it wrong though. Hopefully he will watch those videos and give us some feed back.
Yeah, oftentimes a "minute" seems longer than others, so I'll be curious to hear back. I traded my L5030 HSTC in on my L5740HSTC and was really surprised at the difference at startup. I talked to other L40 Series owners and checked You Tube. I've been told adjusting the timing can improve this, but no one has given specifics.

Our M8540 doesn't do all the smoking and stumbling.