50hr, Firtst Service BX25D

gottaride68

Equipment
BW 25D, w/FEL, MMM, BH, and her name is CLementine
Aug 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Hello Gents, my BX25 is nearing the 50 hr mark (at 46hrs presently). How hard is it to do this myself to save a few$$$'s ? I realize time is the factor, if I can find the time to do it, or afford to pay someone/farm mechanic to do it.
I will prob read up in my manual over the next couple of weeks, but while I'm at work here, I thought I would ask for your inputs....
Thank you....

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello Gents, my BX25 is nearing the 50 hr mark (at 46hrs presently). How hard is it to do this myself to save a few$$$'s ? I realize time is the factor, if I can find the time to do it, or afford to pay someone/farm mechanic to do it.
I will prob read up in my manual over the next couple of weeks, but while I'm at work here, I thought I would ask for your inputs....
Thank you....

Not hard at all :

first look at this ,

http://www.messicks.com/Articles/KubotaBX-Service.aspx

second, you gonna have to take the MMM off, if you dont have a nice flat (heated) place it is gonna be a huge PITA.....

You are only changing engine oil, filter and hydraulic filter........
unless you need to, the fuel filter can wait.

make sure you get a quart of hydraulic fluid when you take the hydraulic filter off, you will loose just a bit - like 4 - 8 oz.....but I bet you will need to put MORE back in then that ....:eek::)

now tell us how much fun it is ! it really aint that hard!:)

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Not hard at all . Depends on how handy you are with a wrench. Follow the instructions in the owners manual step by step and you will do just fine . Take your time and get to know your machine and enjoy .

gottaride68

Equipment
Aug 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Yea I will do this myself. No different than any of my dirtbikes, quads, vehicles. I won't be doing this for at least 3weeks, as we are taking a Family trip to Cali, taking our Kids to Disneyland tomoro. I'll read through the manual, and look at that video link...

Thanks Gents...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH if I may interject something here,,,, If you are in fact going to pull the transmission filter to clean it,,, get a 5 gallon bucket and a really fine screen to catch the fluids,, Becasue when you pull the plug out EVERY THING is going to drain out of the hydraulics,,, that is unless your like realllllly fast!!! Don't ask how I know this

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH if I may interject something here,,,, If you are in fact going to pull the transmission filter to clean it,,, get a 5 gallon bucket and a really fine screen to catch the fluids,, Becasue when you pull the plug out EVERY THING is going to drain out of the hydraulics,,, that is unless your like realllllly fast!!! Don't ask how I know this
Have you ever noticed that the brain function short circuits to the fine motor skills in your hand when oil starts gushing out :rolleyes: your not the only one that has made an oops like that :eek: my classic trick is having 7 gallons of hot motor oil draining into a 5 gallon bucket and losing the bloody drain plug into said bucket :rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have you ever noticed that the brain function short circuits to the fine motor skills in your hand when oil starts gushing out :rolleyes: your not the only one that has made an oops like that :eek: my classic trick is having 7 gallons of hot motor oil draining into a 5 gallon bucket and losing the bloody drain plug into said bucket :rolleyes:
If I had a dollar for every brain fart I have been around when someone changes their oil.....

had a roommate in college, smoked a lot of the illegal green stuff......'nuff said, was changing his oil in his camaro, drained the oil.....changed the filter.....paused for a minute as he got the "new" 5 quarts out......asked him 3 times IF HE PUT THE #@#@# bolt back in the pain.......

yeah, yeah....

well the first quart went in , well the sound of it pouring out the plug hole was ....well priceless !!!!

I have not cleaned the screen on my BX - yet.....aint looking forward to it either!!!! But then again , good time to spend the $$$ and put that gooood stuff in her then !!!:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If I had a dollar for every brain fart I have been around when someone changes their oil.....

had a roommate in college, smoked a lot of the illegal green stuff......'nuff said, was changing his oil in his camaro, drained the oil.....changed the filter.....paused for a minute as he got the "new" 5 quarts out......asked him 3 times IF HE PUT THE #@#@# bolt back in the pain.......

yeah, yeah....

well the first quart went in , well the sound of it pouring out the plug hole was ....well priceless !!!!

I have not cleaned the screen on my BX - yet.....aint looking forward to it either!!!! But then again , good time to spend the $$$ and put that gooood stuff in her then !!!:D
My favorite saying at work is "Damn junior mechanics" :D. They will change the oil on a pump end. Which has a vent plug that looks like a drain plug except it has a small hole in the side of it. Never fails, I'll show them the difference and explain in detail that it is a vent plug. It goes in the top!!! and right after showing them, they stick the bloody plug with the hole in the drain instead. Start filling it up and has the oil draining right back into the drain pan :rolleyes: Then they try tightening the plug more to get it to quit leaking :p batting a thousand so far with new hires :D

gottaride68

Equipment
Aug 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Just had me a good laugh...eye watering laugh...yea that's what I'm dreading rite now, all the "opps-shits"....5 gallon bucket for 7 gallons of fluid...I will not be touching that filter....I know half way through, I'll be wishing I hadda taken it in....and women think birthing there first time is hard...

Pls keep the pointers coming...."I'm getting even more psyched up for this"

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your bx, probably wouldn't lose 5 gallons of oil. Just plan ahead, have a bucket under it, and the other filter handy and within reach. Remove the filter, and spin on the new one. Skeets was just warning you that you would lose some oil. And like some of us have found out the hard way, is a quart of oil spilled on the floor makes a huge mess :rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The 50 hr service on my 3560 is coming up soon, and I sure hope the bx owner's manual is clearer than mine. Kubota goes from stating the obvious (don't change the oil while the engne is running) to stuff that is not obvious like "remove the drain plug" (singular) and there is a pair of pictures that might show either two or four drain plugs???? And why does it say to tighten the new filter "quickly"???? I'd be in favor of carefully....

And then there is the direction for changing the transmission oil filter " 1. Place the oil pan underneath the transmission oil filter and remove the filter . Do not remove the hydraulic oil filter. Otherwise the oil comes out. " So should one expect the 11.1 gal of transmission fluid to appear or??? Here if you just remove the correct filter and "quickly tighten" the new filter maybe you get to keep most of the transmission fluid. ? Etc etc. I think at 50 hrs you just change the filter so keeping the transmission fluid might be nice...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Your bx, probably wouldn't lose 5 gallons of oil. Just plan ahead, have a bucket under it, and the other filter handy and within reach. Remove the filter, and spin on the new one. Skeets was just warning you that you would lose some oil. And like some of us have found out the hard way, is a quart of oil spilled on the floor makes a huge mess :rolleyes:
I was really surprised at the LITTLE bit of oil that was lost during the hydraulic filter change..........I mean like it was , maybe a filter worth....maybe.......

but I HAD to put more back IN than came out......not much more..

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The only thing I can think that makes any sense of the directions I have is that the transmission filter and the hydraulic filter are right next to each other, and if you also take off the hydraulic filter it would allow an air flow path so that the fluid could come out really fast. :confused: This is assuming that my understanding that it is a common pool of fluid is correct.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The filter/screen I was talking about it in the left side and low on the axle housing of said rear end on the BX, when the screen bolt is removed and the screen taken out,, well everything drains out,, well maybe not everything but it sure make one hell of a mess,,,lol

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The hydraulic filter picture shows a cannister to be replaced and a magnetic ring that you are supposed to wipe off. For that replacement at 400 hrs you are supposed to drain hydraulic fluid completely via a pair of plugs by what looks like the rear wheels. I thought from their less than clear picture that the hydraulic and transmission filters filters were behind front wheels, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look under the tractor to see if anything makes sense. The GST picture is different from the HST picture, so they must move them around for different models. The tech at the Kubota dealer told me they and the bolts were hard to get off. :( Maybe they are really tight when new. In any case what we want for 50 hrs is the OTHER filter, (transmission) so I hope it is obvious.

It occurs to me on reading the previous posts that there might be some confusion about what is called a transmission filter and what a hydraulic filter, and do all models have both? Maybe the HST's are different? There are clearly (to Kubota if not to me) two different filters on mine, regrettably placed right next to each other.

gottaride68

Equipment
Aug 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Daren, yea for sure....I've got all the drain pans, and oil soak stuff, it will be rite there at hand... Cheers

Tattnall Guy

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 3, 2014
Collins, Georgia
Check this video out. It's for a full service but you can learn a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi9PVdEmNRs
This is a great Video. I'm doing my 50hr service tomorrow morning. Got everything at the dealer today. They said to only clean the transmission screen and not change the filter yet. Did anyone notice in the video, the guy said it holds only a little over 3 liters of oil, yet when he put the oil in, he poured the whole gallon in?