50 Hour Servoce, L3800 HST Quieter??

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I've heard quite a few people on here that have changed the transmission oil to SUDT-2 has made the hydro whine go down quite a bit. I would say you have nothing to worry about. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did the 50 hr hydraulic fluid and filters change today and noticed that the Hydrostatic drive seems to be running quieter . . is this normal??
What you complaining.... That's it I'm taking your tractor away from you! :eek: :p :D

Yep it's been know to happen, a lot comes from the lack of restriction from and old dirty filter, heck I changed my hydro fluid to UDT and filter on my 30+ year old Kubota B7100HST and it quieted down too! :cool:

L3700SU

Equipment
MX5800 HST w/1065FEL & teeth, WOODS PRD72 finish mower, Bauma Stumpblaster
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
HST noisy? Haven't noticed.;) My noise cancelling headphones are a must.:cool:
I really haven't noticed a difference after a fluid change. It's always noisy but it works great and better than shifting all the time.

P.S. I Switched to the SUDT2 at 200 hours, can't hurt.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The first Hydraulic service for the HST is actually a ways past the 50-hour mark. But, you have yours all done so you might want to push your second fluid change out by 50 hours. Or, just do it again to stay on schedule.

There is a lot of confusion about this because the service requirements on the "general service schedule" at the dealer varies from the service interval dictated by the owners manual, which varies by model. My manual says filters only at 50 hours. On the general service schedule at the dealer service counter, they call for fluid too. No surprise, they make a little more $$ doing it that way.

This link gives you more info: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11981

Nothing like getting it all done. Makes you feel good doesn't it? :)

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I just recently went from UDT to SUDT2 in my 1988ish B9200 and noticed a HUGE difference with the HST whine. My machine also performs better with the SUDT2. How can I tell?

I have a hill on my driveway. Headed down the driveway in medium range, at full throttle, the machine used to bog and slow down and barely make the hill, with the HST whining the whole time climbing the hill. With the same attachments on the machine, when I climb that same hill at max rpm or even a little less, the whine is much quieter and I can travel close to the normal speed without the machine bogging.

for the very small increase in price (my dealer charged only about $20 more for the 5 gal of SUDT2 vs UDT) its an amazing improvement. Synthetic rocks. I always liked Mobil 1 and for UDT, this is totally worth the "upgrade".

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Re: 50 Hour Service, L3800 HST Quieter??

BillDog,

GREAT to know the synthetic is the way to go. Mine is only "whiny" in HIGH range, but it sure would be nicer to get the benefits you mention, not to mention the better wear characteristics of synthetic.

Do they make a synthetic diesel engine oil? Or is the change interval so short that it doesn't matter?

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Mine was quiet before and after the 50 hr filter change...

Oh wait, I forgot, mine is not HST. Sorry. :eek: :cool:
Really, and this contributes to this topic regarding HST how?

Like really, I have totally destroyed in previous posts any argument as to any operating benefit of a manual over a HST, (and personal choice does not make a manual better, although we are all free to choose either) and I guess I should start jumping on every manual transmission post to say how crappy manuals are? What would the purpose of that be?

Besides, your engine and mine make the same obnoxious (and unneeded, if Kubota actually applied even some sound proofing the engine compartment) and that is way worse than the HST, and much more noticeable. Only when pushed to the very hardest do I hear the HST over the engine, so I guess I am lucky on that regard.

But again, the main point is what exactly does your post contribute to a 50 hour service and possible oil change on a HST?????

Thanks, David

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, they make synthetic engine oil! Shell rotella t6 syn is on my shipping list as i type....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
I dumped everything on my BX2360 at 38 hours, when I took MMM off and went to front-mount snowblower. Engine, HST, front axle, filters - whole thing.

I noticed the HST whine was greatly reduced.

AEBlank - I will probably go with Rotella synthetic this fall at "winter changeover" too. A lighter cold-weight (5 or 10) will help. Can't get it with conventional oil.

I really didn't like startup last winter with 15-40. Its in an attached garage, so I didn't get a block heater.

But it was SO friggin cold here, it was only 15 degrees or so out there at times.

I've always changed engine oil spring and fall - regardless of hours. Will probably continue, even with the Rotella synthetic. Just may switch back to 15-40 for summer work.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Really, and this contributes to this topic regarding HST how?

Like really, I have totally destroyed in previous posts any argument as to any operating benefit of a manual over a HST, (and personal choice does not make a manual better, although we are all free to choose either) and I guess I should start jumping on every manual transmission post to say how crappy manuals are? What would the purpose of that be?

Besides, your engine and mine make the same obnoxious (and unneeded, if Kubota actually applied even some sound proofing the engine compartment) and that is way worse than the HST, and much more noticeable. Only when pushed to the very hardest do I hear the HST over the engine, so I guess I am lucky on that regard.

But again, the main point is what exactly does your post contribute to a 50 hour service and possible oil change on a HST?????

Thanks, David
Really, we can't have a little fun around here? :p

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
If we can't have fun what's the point! My HST seems rather loud as well. I will definitely go 100% synthetic at 50 hours. Maybe before. Thanks for the post. Ed B

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If we can't have fun what's the point! My HST seems rather loud as well. I will definitely go 100% synthetic at 50 hours. Maybe before. Thanks for the post. Ed B
Glad I only offended one person. :D

Just a new filer seems to help. But SUDT2 oil is known to make em quieter.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Well I guess I would be laughing a bit more if I had not been taken to task on manual transmissions and told to lay off them by the mods, even though I simply dispelling half truths that some people hold onto.

Told I was listing too many things wrong with manuals and I evidently pissed off a few people, even though I did not start one discussion, only replied to such.

Same applies the other way I would hazard to guess....

And this is not the first time I have noted this post by Bluegill, just thought I would mention it this time as having absolutely no basis or need in regards to this particular topic.

Right?

David

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I was never contacted by a mod, probably because I never trashed HST. Just always stated I liked gear drive better. Nothing at all wrong with either type trans! :cool:

Last edited:

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I was never contacted be a mod, probably because I never trashed HST. Just always stated I liked gear drive better. Nothing at all wrong with either type trans! :cool:
Yes, we should have a little fun around here, I guess I took it the wrong way.

David

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I didn't call you a mod at all, evidently you just are not getting the point here, so I will keep restating it until you do, ok?

-------> The point is, what did your original post on this topic have to do with a HST oil change? What did your comment add to this topic?

As to liking manuals better, that is fine, nothing wrong with that, it is personal choice in the end.
David
Typo, was meant to say "I was never contacted by a mod"

Oh, I got your point and I said; "Can't we have a little fun around here?"