50 Hour: Early or late?

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I'm going to be at about 35 hours on my new machine heading into the NH winter. Thats 15 hours short of my 50 hour maintenance. I could easilly put 15 hours of snowblowing in during the winter but since I dont have a nice heated garage, dread the idea of doing the service out in the freezing cold of winter in my shed or on my driveway.

Would it be better to do the 50 hour service 10 hours early just before the first snows or to potentially do it a few hours late come spring once the snow thaws out?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm going to be at about 35 hours on my new machine heading into the NH winter. Thats 15 hours short of my 50 hour maintenance. I could easilly put 15 hours of snowblowing in during the winter but since I dont have a nice heated garage, dread the idea of doing the service out in the freezing cold of winter in my shed or on my driveway.

Would it be better to do the 50 hour service 10 hours early just before the first snows or to potentially do it a few hours late come spring once the snow thaws out?
Do it while it is "warm" - you will thank yourself later!

What machine are you doing this on?
You just changing engine oil and all the filters? Oil using?

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Do it while it is "warm" - you will thank yourself later!

What machine are you doing this on?
You just changing engine oil and all the filters? Oil using?
This is on a BX1880. I planned to do everything myself that is called for in the service, if I'm capable.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This is on a BX1880. I planned to do everything myself that is called for in the service, if I'm capable.
Only real hassles you will have.....

the FIRST fuel filter....up under! Real b*tch....... BUT while you are there, add a 8 mm/ 5/16 quarter ball valve. Place THIS before the first filter - then in the future, you will not have to have diesel drip down your arms !:D:)

https://www.amazon.com/Fityle-Durab...0067&sr=8-2&keywords=8+mm+ball+valve+for+fuel

Have a rubber stopper ready when you clean your screen filter on your HST.

When you change the filter on your HST - loosen the old filter till you can spin by hand, and in the other hand - have new filter already lubed around the gasket ready to go. If you can do all of this in 10 seconds - you will not loose but a small bit of fluid.

AS you know - once fuel filters are replaced - lots of air in the lines..... turn key to the "run" position, not glow, count to 30 and then start!

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Maybe the 1880 is different from the 2380....but my 2380 does NOT call for a fuel filter change at the initial 50 hour service. It also calls for complete hydro fluid change, which eliminates the need to try and not lose fluid while changing the filter & cleaning the screen.

Again, this a 2380, so maybe different on the 1880, but would seem odd to me if so.

And yes, I vote to do it early vs. late.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wouldn't wait until cold weather, it won't hurt anything to change it early.

I've always done a full service including the hyd fluid. The 50 hr mark is by far the nastiest.