50 hour and service intervals

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
I have a new L3901DT with a manual trans. My manual says only change engine oil and filter at 50 hrs. Not hyd filter or oil nor anything else. Kubota web site says hyd filter but not oil. Manual also says oil and filter change every 400 hours. Web site says every 200. Mechanic that delivered tractor said every 100 hrs. On the Manual trans is it needed to change fluid at 50hrs, and with a tier 4 engine is changing the oil every 100 hrs overkill. I have an old Mitsubishi Bison that the manual said every 100 hours on it so I'm thinking better safe than sorry. Why all the different times from the manufacturer?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a new L3901DT with a manual trans. My manual says only change engine oil and filter at 50 hrs. Not hyd filter or oil nor anything else. Kubota web site says hyd filter but not oil. Manual also says oil and filter change every 400 hours. Web site says every 200. Mechanic that delivered tractor said every 100 hrs. On the Manual trans is it needed to change fluid at 50hrs, and with a tier 4 engine is changing the oil every 100 hrs overkill. I have an old Mitsubishi Bison that the manual said every 100 hours on it so I'm thinking better safe than sorry. Why all the different times from the manufacturer?
Mike,

many of the newer machines have stretched the change intervals. On BX machines - it use to be change the hydraulic fluid @ 50 hours.....now just the filter at 50 - engine oil and filter too.

On larger machines - that could be a lot money JUST in fluid. Changing a filter every "X" hours is never a bad thing - the fluids is where the $$$ come in, but then again it is the life blood of the machine too. I am waiting to spend a few bucks at the 200 hour mark and change to S-UDT2. Then again at the next period.

The oils that are being created today are far better than even 10 years ago. Thus more expensive but lasting longer! Cleaning the oil would still be a high priority.

I would find someone at the dealership and have him go through the manual and make sure that it is correct - the 50 - 200 is about standard through all machines.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
On the tier IV engines one reason to change the engine oil at more frequent intervals is that it is possible during regeneration to get diesel in the oil. It doesn't necessarily happen, but the manual points out that there may be an increase in oil volume particularly if the regen is interrupted. So my thought is that if the oil gets diluted its lubricating qualities would be reduced, and better to change more frequently.

Some people like to check the transmission filters at 50 hrs, and if there is a lot of metal particles on them from the manufacturing process to change the oil early.

Last edited:

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
Trans oil and hyd fluid was 300 hrs on old tractor so I can see 400 on them but 400 on oil changes is a LONG!! time between changes.

mikes1165

Equipment
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
Thanks for the replys. I've had tractors for 30 years but new to Kubota and OTT.