4WD not engaging?

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I have an L245DT and when I was pushing back some snow banks this morning I think that the 4wd might not be engaging. In my pickup if you're in 4wd and you get stuck, and you're giving it gas it will jump around a bit as all 4 wheels are trying to move you. But with the tractor, if I get up against the snow bank and it doesn't want to move it the tractor just stops. I can rev it till the cows come home, it just doesn't seem to even try to move. I haven't owned any tractors prior to this, so maybe this is normal? Im thinking not. Does anyone have any advice?

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
are any of your tires spinning?
Gear Drive or Hydro?
Hi or Low range?
Are you using the diff lock pedal?

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Well, your clutch obviously engages and your tractor moves so I don't know how serious your problem might be. But, if you're pushing against something and your engine revs freely but your wheels don't move, you're eventually going to smell that clutch burning.

If it burns (slips) long enough eventually it won't engage anymore and you'll neeed to split that tractor to replace it.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok then. Well thats not what I was hoping for in this tractor. However I guess it is 30 years old so what can ya do really. Ill continue to use it until it needs obvious replacing. Guess ill start researching how to do the job now. Is there anything else you might as well do when you've got your tractor torn apart that much?

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
What we always did w/car clutches, is resurface the flywheel and install a new pressure plate. If this is the first time service on the clutch you may want to give that some serious thought.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Ok then. Well thats not what I was hoping for in this tractor. However I guess it is 30 years old so what can ya do really. Ill continue to use it until it needs obvious replacing. Guess ill start researching how to do the job now. Is there anything else you might as well do when you've got your tractor torn apart that much?
If the clutch is slipping the its not really a good idea to go on using it..Reason being. the rivets will start wearing the face of the Flywheel which will then need replacing..Do the clutch now and you may get away with less stress on you wallet.
dave

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Is the clutch adjustable? Try adjusting the linkage.
That is a good suggestion, but I believe it is time for a new clutch, if he is in low range, on slick ground, and the tires won't spin.

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
I'm not familiar with your model. On my B7200 HST 4X4 there is an adjustable length rod connecting the clutch pedal to the lever coming out of the clutch housing. One end of the rod is threaded with a clevis screwed onto it. By removing the pin from the clevis and turning it onto or off of the rod, you can change the lenght of the rod. If your clutch is like mine , you would want to shorten the rod. ( a small amount) When you push on the clutch pedal you should feel about 1" of "freeplay" before the pressure required increases as the clutch disengages. I hope that makes sense.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm not familiar with your model. On my B7200 HST 4X4 there is an adjustable length rod connecting the clutch pedal to the lever coming out of the clutch housing. One end of the rod is threaded with a clevis screwed onto it. By removing the pin from the clevis and turning it onto or off of the rod, you can change the lenght of the rod. If your clutch is like mine , you would want to shorten the rod. ( a small amount) When you push on the clutch pedal you should feel about 1" of "freeplay" before the pressure required increases as the clutch disengages. I hope that makes sense.
Yup I understand. Ill take a look tomorrow and post back. Anyone reccomend anything other than the parts and shop manual for the tractor as far as the clutch replacement is concerned? Ive never done one before. Im assuming it will be time consuming and complicated.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I was able to simply adjust it and it appears to be working fine now. Was a bit of trial and error, as I over did it a bit at first and obviously did the opposite of what was required because the clutch would not fully disengage. But its good to go now. Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. Im just pleased that I don't have to split the thing in half. Although secretly I was kind of looking forward to overhauling this little beast. Thanks again ;)

Last edited: