3rd Function valve blowing fuse

Crystal Lake

Equipment
MX5100HST
Sep 22, 2014
Jonesboro, AR
You are so right...on..off..on. Man I love learning about this stuff. I will tear it all back down this weekend and make sure I taped all the switch ends. Got to be something I did wrong. Thanks so much for the help. Still need to know about what to ask for on breaker?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
At this point, it doesn't sound like you need a breaker.

The video sounded a little short on workmanship. Heat shrink tubing is needed on exposed wire ends etc. For your case, ANY exposed contacts. Yes, tape works, but heat shrink works better. After troubleshooting intermittent shorts, then breakers can be revisited.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hard to find a short that blows a 30 amp fuse with a meter? Really? I guess we should advise him to just replace the fuse with bigger and bigger ones until the wires melt, maybe put a .22lr or a nickel in its place? That will surly find the fault.:eek:

WOW! :eek: You win king of the year for over exaggerations! :rolleyes:
I actually put in a smaller breaker than the normal fuse limit, It's just an easier way to help find out what action causes the actual short.

Crystal Lake,
You can go to any automotive store and get a breaker, they sell them in many different packages, I like the ATO chip fuse type and get a chip fuse holder for it too.

Last edited:

Crystal Lake

Equipment
MX5100HST
Sep 22, 2014
Jonesboro, AR
One last thought before I tear into this wiring...many times I have the grapple off the tractor and of course there is no fluid flowing thru the valve but I is easy it bump a button on the control stick activating the solenoid. Would this cause an overload?

bmotojoe

Equipment
2012 L4240HST LA854 LOADER
May 30, 2012
East of Seattle
Unless you are accidentally holding the button down for any period of time (and I mean minutes) then no. I have seen fluid hot and cold and even steam rated solenoid coils short out when energized and nothing flowing through the valve body.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Well, Kennyd has a point, I too would start with a meter but I'm familiar with electronics troubleshooting.

For someone that isn't familiar with electronics troubleshooting, it's usually better to isolate the condition that causes the problem first, then start troubleshooting what might or might not be happening. That would mean potentially dozens of fuses or one breaker.

Personally, I think companies that make products like this skimp out and go the fuse route when they should ALL be thermal breakers with illumination. Sure, it's a $5 part vs. a $0.05 dollar part, but I'd rather pay the extra $4.95 when buying the $1000 implement than having to pay $20 later to install it myself. Anyone making implements reading this? Stop skimping out on the good low cost stuff!

Crystal Lake

Equipment
MX5100HST
Sep 22, 2014
Jonesboro, AR
Well I think I found the short. Inside the solenoid box the frame ground was loose and touching other wires. Time will tell. I went ahead and put the circuit breaker on in place of the fuse and used the grapple for an hour or so and all seems fine. Fingers crossed!

FiveOfastback

Equipment
B2650 cab LPrcr1860 LPpallet forks 4240 60" material with tooth bar
Sep 6, 2017
Bethlehem pa
I know this is old but is the three position rocker wired correctly?
20 amp solenoid shouldn't be blowing 20amp fuses.