3pt sway/check chain

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
last week I lost the turn buckle from my 3pt chains. I thought OK can't find the lost part so I'll buy a replacement. It is nearly impossible to find this part unless you go to the dealer and promise your 1st born for the parts you need. So I set out to make something from what I could find on the web. I found this set on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252132484902?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT But had to mod the end with the bolt and also they were 1 chain link short by my estimation. So went to Tractor Supply and bought 3 3/8 Clevis for the 3pt they are black and harder/stronger than the standard clevis(p/n 268836). Then I needed to add a chain link so I cam up with a double clevis also from TS http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-3248bc-3-8-double-clevis-link-zinc this was the only piece I used than was not hardened (p/n 354981799). I used my sawsall and an 18pt bimetal blade to cut the bolt end off the chain then I used the original clevis to attach to the double clevis then to the new chain and used the new 3pt clevis to attach to the lift arms and Voila I was back in business.I think this set up should be as strong or stronger than original. After I use them this afternoon I'm gonna paint them Kubota blue and most folks will not know they are not standard.
Hopefully this will help someone else who finds themself in the same situation.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Jim,

looks nice!

Those turnbuckles are nice and clean........most of us hate those #@$@#$# things!:D:):)

As long as you keep a little oil on them - they'll be fine, I betcha that's one reason ol' Hodge made his the way he did - super nice stabilizers that can always move freely!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Those are a good, cost-efficient solution to factory turnbuckles, and they are stronger.
How will paint do, as far as bonding, to the zinc coating?

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Those are a good, cost-efficient solution to factory turnbuckles, and they are stronger.
How will paint do, as far as bonding, to the zinc coating?
Not sure will try to rough them up a little with sandpaper and prime them first, then use the Kubota blue.I just don't use my tractor enough to justify your solution Hodge, these were about 65.00 for all the parts and I'm pretty sure they are grade 8 hardened steel.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Looks good. I just recently discovered something odd with my check chains, one is a link shorter than the other. So now i need to even them up. Explains why the arms are to one side with both turnbuckles bottomed out and still loose.

I may be replacing mine too, the double clevis is a good idea.

Will S

Equipment
Mowin' Machine w/Kubota engine
May 10, 2016
Southern N.E.
How will paint do, as far as bonding, to the zinc coating?[/QUOTE]

I would buy a rattle can of zinc-chromate primer (Ace Hardware, etc), and prime them with that, after first cleaning with acetone, to degrease them.

Then top-coat with your favorite color Rustoleum, and you're GTG.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
How will paint do, as far as bonding, to the zinc coating?[/QUOTE]

I would buy a rattle can of zinc-chromate primer (Ace Hardware, etc), and prime them with that, after first cleaning with acetone, to degrease them.

Then top-coat with your favorite color Rustoleum, and you're GTG.
Thanks Will good idea.