3pt quick hitch

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Is there a standard for Category 1 3pt quick hitches? I have a Land Pride box blade and a Woodmaxx WM-8M that are setup for quick hitches and they are both a pain to connect and disconnect without a quick hitch, so I'm looking to buy a quick hitch and wanted to make sure that I get what I need.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There might be a standard set of dimensions for some cat 1 implements, but not others.

My Woods quick hitch picks up and sets down my woods back blade and landscape rake just dandy provided I adjust top link so that the quick hitch itself is vertical.

It will NOT pick up my brand new Caroni flail mower which is described as cat 1. :(:(:( The top hook is somewhere around 4 or 5 inches too low to reach the top link attachment on the flail. I am about to start another thread to try to figure out the best design of some kind of add on to fix the problem, or to decide if the flail shouldn't be run with a quick hitch.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
The vertical height of a qh is 15". The standard height of a normal 3 point is 18". There is often a conversion kit, to make something qh compatible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jtausch

Equipment
L3901/bcr1290 brush hog box blade
Apr 10, 2015
oklahoma city oklahoma
There might be a standard set of dimensions for some cat 1 implements, but not others.

My Woods quick hitch picks up and sets down my woods back blade and landscape rake just dandy provided I adjust top link so that the quick hitch itself is vertical.

It will NOT pick up my brand new Caroni flail mower which is described as cat 1. :(:(:( The top hook is somewhere around 4 or 5 inches too low to reach the top link attachment on the flail. I am about to start another thread to try to figure out the best design of some kind of add on to fix the problem, or to decide if the flail shouldn't be run with a quick hitch.
if its anything like a hook up for a brush hog I have to use a floating link assy on my land pride quick hitch because its a floating deck. you have to use a floating top link assy which allows the deck to float. its not has quick as you think you still need to get out and pin that to your top link on your deck

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks jtausch, I looked that up, and it might work on mine.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
On the way home tonight I stopped at a local farm supply store and they had a SpeeCo Cat 1 E-Hitch. I thought I would try it out and there are a couple of things that I'm wondering if they are normal. In the picture below I have one of the left side, right side and the top of the quick hitch on my Land Pride box blade. On the left side the quick hitch is all most all the way to the right, on the right side it is in the middle and on the top it is all the way to the right. One of the other things is the pin that latch pivots on sticks out on both side and seemed to catch the box blade when I backed up to it. Thanks for everyone help in advance!

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
There will be some tolerance so the implement can move side-to-side, maybe 1/2 inch.

Is the implement lifted for the photos?

Are there bushings on the bottom pins? It is hard to see. If not, all the weight may be suspended from the top hook. Ideally the top hook should only control front-to-back motion while the bottom hooks carry the weight.

There may be some interference where the red arrow points. It doesn't show from the photo angle.

Bruce

Attachments

IVAN tnst

Equipment
B7510 FEL, Snowblower, Bushhog, Scraper Box, Grader, 4"wood chipper
Aug 8, 2014
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
I bought an Agrease ( chinese I suspect) for my B7510 and love it.
The attachment for the top link is adjustable so it can fit many heights for all my implements. A lot less painful now to switch between them now.

Ivan

businessman

Equipment
B3200, JD955, Ingersoll7020
Jul 1, 2015
East coast
I've had 2 Quick Hitches -1 from Pat's Quick Hitch, and one from Harbor Freight that looks much like the one advertised by Northern Tool on these pages. One I returned, the other I sold. Here is why:
1. Both hitches extended the connection point by 4". That required re-working all of the PTO shafts to ensure each shaft was interconnected by a minimum of 6".
2. That same extension of 4" had me worried over issues of leverage and wracking. You mentioned you would be working with a box blade - an implement that takes a lot of abuse. For that implement especially, your tractor would probably appreciate a direct hitch arm connection,
3. Many times, I had to climb out of the tractor to make adjustments. If I've got to get down off the tractor, I might just as well make the connection.

I found that time spent studying how to speed and ease the connection, was time well spent. For example, the front wheels of my 3pt finish mower, rest on a small deck made from 4x4's. This allows me to swivel the wheels and roll the mower left to right. My rock rake connection point rests on a small pallet standing on edge, holding the front just at the right height for easy connecting. And the box blade is centered over a 6' 4x4, which allows me to rock the blade, front to back. You get the idea.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
businessman, The two implements that I will be using the most are designed to be used with a quick hitch and are really hard to connect to the tractor using just the 3pt as it comes. It takes more than ten minutes each time I connected or disconnected the box blade. The way the lower pins (setup for a quick hitch) have to line up with three holes making it hard to connect and when removing the pins I had to use a punch to get them out. Unlike implements that just have pins bolted to them and you could kick the lower arms off and on. With the quick hitch it only takes a couple minutes to disconnect an implement and at most five to connect.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That same extension of 4" had me worried over issues of leverage and wracking. You mentioned you would be working with a box blade - an implement that takes a lot of abuse. For that implement especially, your tractor would probably appreciate a direct hitch arm connection.
There is a substantial difference between the three point on the B and the three point on the L, not only in lift but in the size of everything.
Nothing against the B but the L handles a Quick hitch much better than the B.

mdhughes,
If you notice too much slop on the pin to hitch connection get the bushings they really help with that. ;)

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
mdhughes,
If you notice too much slop on the pin to hitch connection get the bushings they really help with that. ;)
No slop on the pins, the Land Pride box blade works pretty good with the eHitch. One of the things I like about it is you don't have to use bushings on the lift arm pins. You do need a bushing for the top link which the Land Pride box blade already has. I had to get a bushing for my WoodMaxx chipper.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Is there a standard for Category 1 3pt quick hitches? I have a Land Pride box blade and a Woodmaxx WM-8M that are setup for quick hitches and they are both a pain to connect and disconnect without a quick hitch, so I'm looking to buy a quick hitch and wanted to make sure that I get what I need.
MDHughes,

If you want more info, just search the topic here on OTT.

To answer your question though, we are very happy with Pat's quick hitch. Combine that with Hodges stabilizers and the longer top link and you have a winner for cat. 1 in the L series. Our difference between implements, bush hog, box bad, snow blade and 1 bottom plow is about 1 inch. We just use a dowel for measurement, adjust, back up, lift and off we go.

http://www.greenwellmfg.com for Pat's quick hitch or look on you tube for examples of use. Hodge is on this site.

My wife can hook up our implements by herself with this set up. Before, it was 1/2 hour or longer of struggle with a San Angelo bar, implements, sledge and NAVY swearwords. Now it is much easier without the hassle of trying to muscle a heavy implement into position.

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for with this decision. Good luck on your choice and experience.

Burt

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the quick hitch that they sell at Harbor Freight. The top hook is adjustable with bolts that hold it on. I replaced the bolts with clevis pins so I could adjust the top hook for my middle buster or for my land pride box blade. I am very happy with the Harbor Freight quick hitch. I have seen them on sale for as little as $89.00. I paid $99.00 for mine about 18 months ago or so.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I have the quick hitch that they sell at Harbor Freight. The top hook is adjustable with bolts that hold it on. I replaced the bolts with clevis pins so I could adjust the top hook for my middle buster or for my land pride box blade. I am very happy with the Harbor Freight quick hitch. I have seen them on sale for as little as $89.00. I paid $99.00 for mine about 18 months ago or so.
X2, ditto, same here.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
MDHughes,

Read the results of JR4Al's experience with a speeco quick hitch. It's on today's posts.

Burt

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Buy 5 attachments and only 1 will work without any modification on 1 specifice 3 point quick hitch. Each manufacturer seems to have their on set of measurements. That being said, buy the speeco quick hitch, then modify all your implements to fit that hitch. Once that is done, your life will be much more enjoyable. I don't even have to get off my tractor to drop or pick up several of my implements, the bush hog and scrape blade being the exception.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
MDHughes,

Read the results of JR4Al's experience with a speeco quick hitch. It's on today's posts.

Burt
I have already bought the SpeeCo eHitch and know about watching the hitch and the fenders. I haven't had a problem yet, but I keep an eye on it when raising the 3pt.