3pt hitch question...

RLT3

Feb 12, 2018
Brookville, Ohio
So, I'm thinking of putting a metal rod between the lower two arms of my 3pt hitch to add ballast weight, about 300 lbs. What is the largest diameter metal rod that will fit on my BX2370? It's my understanding that the diameter of the ball is 7/8". Does that mean a 7/8 rod will fit in through the hole? Or will I need to back it down to 3/4 inch rod?

Thanks for any/all advise. You guys are great!

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion
You could just get a linkage drawbar and bolt the box to the holes in the drawbar. Or buy a couple category 1 pins and install them on the top sides of the box if it's built heavily enough to stand the weight. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
From TSC, a cheap widow maker works (3-point tool bar). I used round weights off an old swather sitting in a tree row. I used one until I built an A frame 3-point hitch I attach my attachments to. Still use the weights on it. Probably the same tool bar Pat T is referencing. Has holes along it's length, easy to attach a box too but you would need connect the box to the top link.

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You could buy a quick hitch from Harbor Freight for about $75 and add bar bell weights like in the attached picture. Mine has 230 pounds on it but if you could put a lot more on it if you have the weights.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Idaho Wolfman View Post
Lower Cat 1 pins are 7/8".

So, does that mean I'll need to get a bar that is 3/4" or will a 7/8" bar fit? I'm thinking the former, but just wanting to make sure I get the right thing.

The pins are 7/8" dia. (where your linch pins go).

You need some 7/8" round stock (this replaces the pins you can purchase), and you can drill a couple of holes in each end for the linch pins. This would allow you to have a long shaft going from one side to the other for more stability and strength.