3 Pt. Lift Pin size?

northman

Jun 12, 2012
Mi
I recently purchased a L3200 and really like it. I've owned tractors from a 1941 AC Model B to a Minnie Moline 1956 and it's nice to have a tractor that isn't older than I am. I'm having a slight problem with my 3pt equiptment though. Seems like I never had much of a problem hooking up my implements with my old N and NAA series tractors and I will admitt everything was pretty loose on them. But the new Kubota is a bear to hook up these same implements. Seems like I have to to be right on the money to get them on at all. The pins all measure .850 to .875 and are the longer type and they seem to be a rather tight fit on the 3pt arms. I've even used a rubber dead blow hammer on one implement to get the arms off the pins. Wondering if anyone here can give me an idea what to do? If I still had my lathe I would turn them down a bit and maybe shorten them. Would apprecieat any help.
Thanks!

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Your N, NAA, and L3200 are all cat 1 hitches so everything should fit. Since the old Fords were fitting kind of loose I would check the 3 pt holes in the L3200 lift arms to make sure they aren't crudded up with hardened grease or something. Also make sure that the ball sockets move. If one or both is frozen in place at a bit of an angle to the pins, it could make for a situation like you describe. You could also loosen the stabilizers to give you a bit more play while you install the implement.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Are the pins and the balls rusty? I always try to lube the pins and clean them so they will be easier to work with.

northman

Jun 12, 2012
Mi
Are the pins and the balls rusty? I always try to lube the pins and clean them so they will be easier to work with.
The tractor is new just got it a few weeks ago so the balls are clean. The pins are a little rusty. Maybe I'll take some sand paper to them and lube them as you said. I took one off and put it in the ball and it slid right in but they would rattle in my old NAA lift arms. I could hitch up my equiptment from the seat of my tractor most of the time. Wish I still had a lathe, I would skim off a 32nd of an inch off those pins. I guess not having anything new, tractor or equiptment I just didn't realize what a close fit those pins and balls actually are.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I like to use spray grease or gel grease on mine. It seems to help to have clean pins and a little extra lube on them when it's time to hook up a implement.

Waterguy

Equipment
L3200, brush hog,box scraper, rotary harrow, single-bottom plow, rotary tiller,
May 19, 2012
Valley Center, CA
Just a thought about pin lubrication. A read a post from a smart feller who said to use spray graphite rather than spray grease. It won't attract as much dirt. Seems like a good idea.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I would imagine that balls on your old tractors were pretty worn in, where they aren't on the new Kubota. Are the pins corroded? You could take a grinder with a flap disc and clean then up. Heavy corrosion makes things bigger. Clean them up, then lube them.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I like Hodge's idea. Makes sense. A minute or two with emery cloth would do it too. And remember - which you most likely know - sometimes they just don't want to slide off or push on! The implement or tractor has to move fwd or backward as you slide on the lift arms. If the implement is heavy it can be a bear to get them on or off.

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
I noticed on my 3400 the pins on my equipment were real tight. I never had to have clean holes or pins to hook up on my jd 850. Wonder if the kubota's are maybe a little tight. Figured maybe my pins were a bit rough so when it warms up I was going to take mine out and just polish them on the lathe with emery. Same thing could be done with file on the burs then a shoe shine type movement on the equipment with emery. A few thousands would be more than enough to make the difference.