3 pt implement taking off and putting on

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Please forgive me if this post does not belong here. Although I am not new to tractors, I have never taken the rear 3 pt hitch implement on and off. I always paid the dealer to do this.

I recently purchased a Kubota B2650, with cab, and have decided I want to learn how to do this, plus learn how to grease the machine, etc., and take more interest in the actual maintenance of the machine.

Are there any good you tube videos, or someplace which I can read that will help me? I'm not mechanical and my motto is I break it and someone else fixes it.

Thank you for your thoughts.:confused:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
If it is in your budget and your implements are quick hitch compatible, the money for QH is well worth it. My dad is amazed how quickly I can back up and switch out implements.

One YouTuber that is worth watching is Ask Tractor Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebigrockranch

Another one that I like is Tractor TIme with Tim

https://www.youtube.com/user/timmarks416

PS-I'm just like you, I break more things than I fix. My dad can fix anything, I can break anything. Yet, between watching the videos and reading the manual, along with some guidance from Dad, I have become fairly proficient with my tractor and maintenance.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The BIGGEST step in getting ANY 3pt thing on/off is to do it on a concrete pad !!! Having tractor and implement on a flat,solid surface is important !!

next , is to have a wooden block, to rest the arms of the implement on, say 6-8" off the concret pad.

If the implement is PTO driven, TURN OFF THE TRACTOR, remove the PTO shaft, THEN and only then, should you startup the tractor , if needed, to adjust the 3pt arms to finish the operation.

I have to admit, I'm spoiled with the Allis-Chalmers Snap-Coupler system. I can get any implemnent on or off in less than a minute and no adjustments needed, even when going to the spare tractors....

Last edited:

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
It is easier if the implement is blocked up, like was said earlier. What I do, is

Back up to it as square as you can, stopping when the lower arms look to be close.

Pick the side that is back the farthest, I find that is the easiest to do first.

Then attach the remaining lower arm, occasionally a long pry bar is needed to side the attachment.

Connect the upper hitch arm.

Connect pto, or other if applicable.

Lift slightly, level the implement if needed, side arm first, then upper arm.

Go play, I mean work.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Plus:

If you have stabilizers with turnbuckles - loosen them for removing or installing the implements. If you have stabilizers with pins, pull the pins. The arms need to be able to move for unhooking or hooking up.

When the implement is connected, raise it enough so you can push it from side to side, then center it and either tighten the turnbuckles or drop the stabilizer pins back in to center the implement and prevent the arms or implement from rubbing the rear tires.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
The B2650 is actually not bad for working with the 3pt. It has the adjustable lift arms where you can extend them a bit and usually that is all it takes. I would say check out the videos that you can find then practice. As said in previous posts make sure you take out the small pins on the stabilizer slide arms so that you can move it side to side. I have an auger, brush hog and back blade that I change several times per year as needed. As for greasing just look at your manual and it shows the points to grease along with the schedule, most are per every 10 hours of use.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Eliot3b4, what might work good as a learning experience is to have a neighbor/friend show you first hand how to hook up a specific implement you own. Then you can see it done, ask questions, then unhook it and re-connect it with that person coaching. It might just save you an injury like a pinched finger, or toe, or chin!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Are there any good you tube videos, or someplace which I can read that will help me? I'm not mechanical and my motto is I break it and someone else fixes it.

Thank you for your thoughts.:confused:
I don’t mean to “jump” you but.... (you did ask for my thoughts): This is sort of like people who get online and ask the general populace “Hey, does anyone know what Walmart charges for gizmos?”

Whey the hell they don’t simply go to Walmart dot com and ASK the seller DIRECTLY? The general populace has no authority or special knowledge regarding a particular provider’s pricing policies. Doh.

Yes.... YouTube has a SEARCH ROUTINE...and all you have to do is ASK for the subject in which you’re interested.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Geo he asked for GOOD you tube videos, there is a ton of stuff on you tube, some good some not so good, so our opinions might be helpful.

My suggestion is if you have concrete pad to work with, get a quick hitch, get your dealer to make sure any pto implements have shafts correct length to fit it, may have to get a longer one, and then put all your implements on moving dollies. Some implements need 3, 2 on back part like the blade, and one for jack. Reinforce dollies as needed. Then you just roll them up to back of tractor and pick up with hooks. You'll find you have to adjust the top link so quick hitch is vertical or it won't pick up.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
PTO driven implements are a PITA, but videos do help, and you do get better with practice. Well, at least until the end of the season, then it seems the learning curve starts over next year. Hooking up my tiller SUCKS. It’s heavy and getting the PTO shaft seated always gives me a hard time. I finally caved and bought a Pat’s easy change over the winter. Have plans to see if that makes it any easier this weekend. Sure looks like I might come out of it with a few less bruised knuckles and a less sore back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Geo he asked for GOOD you tube videos, there is a ton of stuff on you tube, some good some not so good, so our opinions might be helpful.

My suggestion is if you have concrete pad to work with, get a quick hitch, get your dealer to make sure any pto implements have shafts correct length to fit it, may have to get a longer one, and then put all your implements on moving dollies. Some implements need 3, 2 on back part like the blade, and one for jack. Reinforce dollies as needed. Then you just roll them up to back of tractor and pick up with hooks. You'll find you have to adjust the top link so quick hitch is vertical or it won't pick up.

Dollies are a great suggestion. Just a couple inches “off square” can result in hours of frustration with heavier implements.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Some implements can be left on a tyre. This allows the implement to be moved or rotated (or jiggled) slightly easier than if it is on a solid surface. But not every implement will balance on a tyre and some may need a prop. Never put yourself in a position where you can get trapped. This usually happens when someone is "helpfully" moving the hydraulics or tractor while you are behind it

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
For the PTO shaft. I try to keep it as clean as possible. Don't let it fall into the dirt. I use Tri-Flow spray to clean the balls and sockets and what moments before was a dog fight, becomes an easy connection.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Here is an example of what I did for a post hole digger. I made a platform on a pallet for my gravel/snow blade, and all my other implements are on pallets. I have pallet forks and can move everything around to get it into position. Food for thought pallet forks are awesome.

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: Hooking up my tiller SUCKS.

I get my 5' hd tiller on/OFF any of my D14s in less than 2 minutes. As for the PTO, keep it CLEAN and lubed. It should nicely slide on /off easily.
And ALWAYS SHUT OFF THE TRACTOR WHEN HANDLING THE PTO STUFF !!!!!

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
re: Hooking up my tiller SUCKS.

I get my 5' hd tiller on/OFF any of my D14s in less than 2 minutes. As for the PTO, keep it CLEAN and lubed. It should nicely slide on /off easily.

And ALWAYS SHUT OFF THE TRACTOR WHEN HANDLING THE PTO STUFF !!!!!

Well you’re definitely doing better than me!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Ok, I confess, I converted my PITA 3pt tiller to SnapCoupler. THAT's why it's sooooo simple, no adjustments and NO pain on the back.

kkk

Banned

Equipment
rtv900 /u15 ex/WP 955/woodmizer LT15
Apr 10, 2020
OreGun, BLM
Ok, I confess, I converted my PITA 3pt tiller to SnapCoupler. THAT's why it's sooooo simple, no adjustments and NO pain on the back.
Hmmm..Whats this Snap Coupler thing?

Similar to the JD quick connect driveline thing?....$pendy

First I've heard of it ..but I'm new here;)