3 pt hitch won't lower

RedTailHawk

Jan 6, 2013
Capon Bridge, WV
Yesterday I was all set to work on my food plot, but when I got my L3430 to the field, I noticed the rear 3 pt hitch wouldn't lower. Moving the lever back and forth, it raised a little more until it was all the way up, but it wouldn't go back down. (I thought I had seen a thread on this a few months ago, but couldn't find it this morning).

Any tips on what/where to check or fix?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
In the thread I remember the problem was the knob that sets the lowering speed was cranked all the way closed, setting the lowering speed to 0 :eek:

On my tractor that knob is just under the seat in the front.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check the knob like sheep farmer said. If you have just hooked up the implement, you may have put the pto shaft in a bind also, and that may not be allowing the implement to drop.

Had that issue with my finish mower when I got it. Hooked it up, and checked lift. Went to lower it, and had to drop the lever slightly and pick the back of the implement up slightly. Then it would lower.

I dropped the top link for the three point hitch down to the bottom hole where it pins to the tractor, and it cured the issue. Just be careful if you lift the back of the implement. If the arms all the way I'm the down position the implement will drop to the ground :eek:

I had a post hole digger knock me off a trailer, and landed flat on my back because the operator dropped the handle all the way down when I went to pick up on it :eek:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
are you other implements more heavier? Just thinking the rake may be so light that it can't resist the hydraulics to lower it. You can test this by placing something heavy on the rake to see if it then lowers.

then your decision will be, adjust the knob just for that implement or tie the weight onto the rake:p

RedTailHawk

Jan 6, 2013
Capon Bridge, WV
figured it out. There is a dial right under the seat. It just says On and Off. Doesn't say what it controls. Anyway, turned it to on and the rear 3pt hitch hydraulic now works.