3 point trouble

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
Hi gang,
My old L3450 has been sitting for a couple of years. The engine had seized after it was left in the weather (open exhaust) while I spent a couple of years away between hospitals and nursing homes. I finally got myself out there and got it going today - turns out the engine was just ‘barely’ seized and broke free easily. It’s running like a top now after a new battery and some TLC.
Trouble is, the 3 point hitch is completely dead. I remember it was getting tired before I got sick, having trouble lifting the mower. Now there’s nothing, I can easily lift and lower the 3 point assembly by hand while the engine is running and the lever is all the way back. Theres no pressure at all.
There is plenty of fluid in the trans and 3 point holes, too much now actually, I’ll have to drain some back out as I went a bit overboard topping them off. All fluids were changed in 2020 when I got back home, then it was parked (because I wasn’t healthy enough to mess with the seized engine) and hasn’t been used since.
Where can I start with this old girl? Any common places to look?
Thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It might be the pump is not pumping for some reason. Do you have any other hydraulically driven equipment? If so do they work?

I assume you would have mentioned that if that were true.

Not knowing anything about the arrangement of your tractor I also assume the hydraulic pump is mounted on the side of the engine and has an inlet on bottom and the outlet is on top. You need to see if there is any fluid getting to the pump and out of the pump. There is probably a rubber hose on the intake side that could be loosened and see if fluid is dripping out but that point of connection is at the lowest level and can drain out all the fluid, so be careful if you do that check. The outlet is probably all hard tube so difficult to check if fluid is being discharged. You might look at it and see if there is some point that could be disconnected to see if the pump is working. Just know the pump moves a few gallons per minute so will make a mess unless you can route it back to the tank. Also don’t run it long or it will empty the tank and ruin the pump.

You can also drain the tank and clean the screen (if there is one) and replace the filter. If you drain the fluid into clean containers you can reuse the same fluid or replace it with new.

You can also try to prime the pump by pouring some fluid into the top (outlet) of the pump. It is possible that it is too dry to pump. But the fluid level should be high enough to be in the pump.

Good luck and others will post better suggestions soon.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it have a loader?
How is the steering and movement?

I have the same model in a GST.
They are a little picky about suction to the pump.

FYI: Three points have no down pressure so you lifting the three point arms doesn't really tell you anything.

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Sitting that long, the unloader valve could be corroded and stuck. If it is, it allows the hydraulic oil to bypass.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
At the factory parts website you'll see the L3450 had a lot of optional hydraulic setups. If the machine has a loader its supply and exhaust hoses would connect to the "hydraulic block"(bolted to the frame). That block has a slotted screw head that operates a diverter valve inside, sending flow to the three-point hitch. Even if there is no loader, the diverter is still there, and could be in the wrong position - or partially out of position. Look for a slotted screw that can be turned 1/4 turn and see if its between positions. Hope this helps. Dick B.

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
Does it have a loader?
How is the steering and movement?

I have the same model in a GST.
They are a little picky about suction to the pump.

FYI: Three points have no down pressure so you lifting the three point arms doesn't really tell you anything.
There is no loader or any other accessory on the tractor. I’ll try to find the pump and see if I can figure anything out with it.
The power steering seems to be working fine.

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
At the factory parts website you'll see the L3450 had a lot of optional hydraulic setups. If the machine has a loader its supply and exhaust hoses would connect to the "hydraulic block"(bolted to the frame). That block has a slotted screw head that operates a diverter valve inside, sending flow to the three-point hitch. Even if there is no loader, the diverter is still there, and could be in the wrong position - or partially out of position. Look for a slotted screw that can be turned 1/4 turn and see if its between positions. Hope this helps. Dick B.
I’ll check that. Thank you.

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
Sitting that long, the uplifter valve could be corroded and stuck. If it is, it allows the hydraulic oil to bypass.
I’ll try to locate the uplift valve and check it. Looking at YouTube videos, if there’s pressure, there’s really only a few components it might be.
I’m trying to find out where a hydraulic oil screen filter might be on the tractor, the only one I see is a cartridge filter on the right side of the engine.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I’ll try to locate the uplift valve and check it. Looking at YouTube videos, if there’s pressure, there’s really only a few components it might be.
I’m trying to find out where a hydraulic oil screen filter might be on the tractor, the only one I see is a cartridge filter on the right side of the engine.
I had a brain fart and used the wrong term- is an unloader valve. It will most likely be inside the case, near the 3 point control.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I looked at the illustrated parts list and did not see any filter screen so I don’t think you have one. Since you have the spin on filter I think that is the only filter involved with the hydraulic system.

Since the power steering is working I assume that indicates the pump is working IF the tractor only has one pump and it powers everything. Let other more knowledgeable people comment on your tractor‘s arrangement though.

So now I am saying to ignore any of the trouble shooting steps that I suggested in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no loader or any other accessory on the tractor. I’ll try to find the pump and see if I can figure anything out with it.
The power steering seems to be working fine.
You didn't answer how it's moving?
I'll assume that it's moving fine.
First you have PS so power is going through the pump to the second pump stage.
Since you have a WET clutch and it's moving that tells me the the first pump is working so that rules out suction issues and firsat pump issues.
Like @rbargeron suggested check the selector valve on valve block just under the pump.
It should be in this position with no loader attached.

1711161379574.png

Next check that the feed back linkage is intact and the rod is locked to the adjustment point and not loose.
Does the lever have resistance when you move it?
1711161111168.png

Next how many levers are there on the right hand fender side, one or two?

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
I looked at the illustrated parts list and did not see any filter screen so I don’t think you have one. Since you have the spin on filter I think that is the only filter involved with the hydraulic system.

Since the power steering is working I assume that indicates the pump is working IF the tractor only has one pump and it powers everything. Let other more knowledgeable people comment on your tractor‘s arrangement though.

So now I am saying to ignore any of the trouble shooting steps that I suggested in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion.
I learn more about my tractor from every post, yours included. Thank you for helping!

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
You didn't answer how it's moving?
I'll assume that it's moving fine.
First you have PS so power is going through the pump to the second pump stage.
Since you have a WET clutch and it's moving that tells me the the first pump is working so that rules out suction issues and firsat pump issues.
Like @rbargeron suggested check the selector valve on valve block just under the pump.
It should be in this position with no loader attached.

View attachment 124736

Next check that the feed back linkage is intact and the rod is locked to the adjustment point and not loose.
Does the lever have resistance when you move it?
View attachment 124735

Next how many levers are there on the right hand fender side, one or two?
Thank you for the illustrations and information. The tractor is driving just fine. I have to jump the solenoid at the moment, since the ignition switch gave up the good fight, but this tractor has always fired up instantly with no glow plug usage. Once it's running, it runs and drives flawlessly.
There is only the one lever for 3 point adjustment, then the flow valve knob at the front of the 3 point assembly, under thefront of the seat. The linkage is intact, and is moving well.
Since the 3 point was working before the tractor was parked, I don't think the selector valve would be in the wrong spot, but I'll certainly check that. I'm working 12's until Wednesday, so I'll check then, when I have some daylight after work.

I love how helpful most everyone is on this site. I appreciate it very much!