3 Point Trailer Hitch

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Just got finished welding up my trailer hitch for the 3-pt. We bought a 4'x6' utility trailer to pull behind the tractor, narrow enough to go down our forest trails here on the acreage. I also liked the idea of using the 3-pt so that we could tilt the trailer to make it easier to empty. I could have bought one, but they are cost-prohibitive considering the amount of material required - this one will run me ~$45 including a can of Kubota Orange paint. (What can I say, cheapness is one of my flaws:D)

It's all 1/4"-wall construction, both the flat bar and square tube. I opted for the Class II trailer hitch connector because the tractor itself is only 1800 lb with the loader, and it can't tow over 3500 lb safely anyway. The hitch is stong enough to potentially add other plug-in implements, mountings, etc., as long as it can plug into a Class II.

Couple coats of primer and two of color and we're ready for Spring gardening season!

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
thats pretty cool, I have some 2 inch stock laying around,, ya got any measurements on that thing,,huh huh huh

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
Just got finished welding up my trailer hitch for the 3-pt. We bought a 4'x6' utility trailer to pull behind the tractor, narrow enough to go down our forest trails here on the acreage. I also liked the idea of using the 3-pt so that we could tilt the trailer to make it easier to empty. I could have bought one, but they are cost-prohibitive considering the amount of material required - this one will run me ~$45 including a can of Kubota Orange paint. (What can I say, cheapness is one of my flaws:D)

Whoa....... cheapness is NOT a flaw, it is a Virtue! Nice Job!

gmtinker

Equipment
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Hi skeets

I'm too lazy to draw you up a plan, but here are a few pics with a measuring tape, if it helps.

I'm sure that the measurements could be adapted or adjusted depending on what you have laying around, but this one is 31-1/2" outside edge to outside edge on the bottom beam and the vertical bar is 18-1/2" tall from the top edge of the horizontal bar (20-1/2" from the bottom, which is where the tape was held in the picture).

This isn't the only way to build this sort of thing. I saw numerous ideas and designs online before I decided on this one, and what you have laying around for material may actually make a better design. I just used, as GWD suggested, the basic dimensions off of a few of my 3-pt implements for a rough outline, and made sure the pin diameters were correct when drilling the brackets before welding them on (3/4" top link, bottom links 7/8" diameter).

Let's see what design you come up with - I love seeing people's different ideas for building things (especially from guys like Wildfire - that guy's an artist!).

Attachments

gmtinker

Equipment
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Hi Chip

I'm afraid I have to go with GWD on this one, I looked at one at a common equipment supply store here in Edmonton, and they have draw bars for ~$32. The downside is that I would then need another ball (another $10), and the drawbar, without any add-on stabilization, would rotate in the side link mount holes. I suspect they are more meant for use with a hitch pin and trailer tongue with and upper and lower plate to it, not a ball hitch. As well, this way I can use the same Class II hitch that my wife's little SUV takes, and plug other things into it.

Finally got paint on it the other day - I don't know about you guys but I LOVE this color!

Attachments

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
gmtinker you are correct. I have a two plates on my trailer which go over and under the drawbar and is held on with a pin. It works fine for me.

gmtinker

Equipment
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Warm day here, finally got a chance to fit the trailer on. Have I mentioned lately that I love this shade of orange?:D

Now I just need to find my good 7/8" side link pins, they're here somewhere (had to borrow the tiller's pins to try this out!)

Attachments