3-Point Log Splitter

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I am considering getting a 3-Pt log splitter from Rural King, specifically the Black Diamond 3-Point Log splitter YTL-014-309. https://www.ruralking.com/log-splitter-3-pt-mount.html I have questions. How many of you are using a splitter off your Kubota? Is it as easy as just plugging in hydraulic lines off my B3200 or am missing something here? Am I better off with a unit that has its own engine?

Thanks,
John

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You will be disappointed using the hydraulics off your tractor because it doesn't have a very high GPM hydraulic pump. It will work but be slow.

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Ive been through this myself and a member here put it to me in a way that made a whole lot of sence: it is silly to put wear and tear and hours on your 10, 20, or 30,000 dollar tractor when you can put it on a $200 log splitter engine. Not to mention now you can't use your tractor for moving logs to cut or move the the split firewood.
This simple statement made my decision real easy to go with an engine drive splitter.
Hope this helps

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like others are saying.
Those units do not work effectively.
Get an independent engine powered model. ;)

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I would agree with above. I use my bucket to move the logs and what I split around.

I forever had to borrow a unit from someone and just purchased one of my own just a short while ago I got a woods HLS27. I got mine from Messick's. They can also ship it to you as well.

Here is the link for the video they did on two models they have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AbzBWjIGWo

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Last winter my girlfriends step dad let us borrow his old Massey Ferguson 175 with 3PH log splitter with PTO pump. (This was before I had my Kubota)
Tree Cutting3.jpg
Tree Cutting2.jpg

We had a bunch of trees cut down and I had about 6 cord to split.

This thing was an absolute beast. It had a 6 way wedge and I flew through the 6 cord in about 2 days. The tach on the Massey was broken, but I was running no where near full throttle, guessing closer to half.

This was by far the easiest wood I have ever split in my life (like half the time easiest), but in the future I have been asking myself am I going to borrow this again and put it on the back of my Kubota or borrow my dads tow behind gas splitter? And I think the answer is borrow the gas independent unit. I see no need to put 2 full days worth of PTO rpm hours on the Kubota, I would rather use the independent splitter and save the hours on the Bota.

Just my opinion on these units, and I had a GREAT experience with the PTO splitter but still would elect the independent unit.

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Appreciate the feedback on this. Time to look at the self powered units.

RobL

Equipment
Kubota L2002DT; Kubota FEL; Wallenstein Log Splitter; King Cutter 5' Brush Hog
Jul 14, 2017
Edmonton, AB
Yup, I've got one, because if was a very inexpensive option at the time. If you are paying full market price for one, then go with the self powered unit as others have mentioned. Ditto if speed and productivity are important.

In my case however, I'm running it on an old tractor with high hours already & it does the job for me on about 3 cords per year, maximum. Splits anything I can lift onto it.

Last edited: