2wd

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It was a minor nuisance shifting in and out of 4wd, as the transit was partly over pavement, but that was a small price to pay.
Good move on your part for doing this. I know it's possible to run on pavement in 4WD but it sure does cause a lot of unwanted strain on the driveline.

macconstructioncmp

Dec 21, 2012
Brundidge,AL
Good move on your part for doing this. I know it's possible to run on pavement in 4WD but it sure does cause a lot of unwanted strain on the driveline.
I own the M6040 w/ utraCab. 2WD, "Don't need a 4WD" if your mowing or simple use of implements. It like owning a 4WD truck, paying all of the extral costs and never using the 4WD grear shift. The cab is a plus if your getting older with use of AC and a heater. Love my M6040 w/utralCab, hillbilly heaven.

Mac

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
While I hate wasted money IMHO 4wd is money well spent. I uae 4wd all the time on both my Kubotas. Used it yesterday putting out hay. Use it when I pull my disc, even sometimes when mowing the yard. I have used it mowing and baling hay and pretty normal to need it pulling my batwing.

After owning 4wd tractors I won't buy another one that doesn't have it. You get twice the use out of it while you own it and it will be worth twice as much if you sell it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I disagree with the generality that if you have 4WD, you will always push too far and get stuck. Some people do, some don't. That isn't the fault of the tractor, but the operator.
We live in the mountains, and 4WD is invaluable. Better braking, easier on the land, greater accessibility, more sure footed, better using the loader, safer to mow with, and on and on- I don't think there is a right or wrong when it comes to 2WD vs. 4WD, and these posts that keep seesawing back and forth about which one is right gets SO OLD. If you need it based on your conditions, get it. If you don't, don't. You can make whatever you have work. Perhaps it isn't in your budget- so don't get it, and learn to use what you have effectively. Perhaps you want to ensure a better resale price- 4WD will do that. I wouldn't consider a 2WD tractor, unless the price was rediculously low. And then, I would sell it for a profit and buy a 4WD.
My answer- buy what you need and can afford, and then learn to use it to the maximum of its capabilities. A 4WD is no good if you don't know how to wisely apply it, and a 2WD can get an amazing amount of work done, if you know the tricks.