2WD L3450 in the snow?

Madhatter

Equipment
L3450-F
Sep 23, 2014
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi all, new to the forum here.

A few weeks ago a 2WD L3450 followed me home and took up residence in my garage.;) So far she is proving to be quite the handy tool to have around.

Her main task is to mow grass (72"mmm) and she does that very well. But now I'm thinking of giving my Ford 2n a winter off to get caught up on some repair work and using the L3450 to take care of the snow (with a 6' back blade)

The turf tires have me a little concerned.

My plan is loading the rear tires with rim guard, which should add about just shy of 800lbs at 75%, and getting a set of 2-link chains. I think this will keep her moving alright, but I'm a little concerned that the wide turf tires on the front will have a hard time steering in the snow.

I could load the front tires and close to 150lbs (no FEL or plans for one)
or I could add some suitcase weights to the front as it has a bracket that looks like it would take up to 7 weights.

Anyone running a similar set up in the snow? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jamie

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
That puppy got steering brakes? If so problem solved. You wont like pushin/ plowing with rear blade. Unless thats what you are doing now. Cant see steering being that much of a problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is one clean looking L3450, funny how almost every one of them I see has a bent exaust stack! :p
I'm pretty sure that will run circles around your ford 2n!

If it doesn't have a block heater in it yet do that before it gets cold!

Turfs with chains are Ideal for snow, and if your worried about steering control, put a set of chains on the front! ;)

I run a L3450 GST-DT and it great in the snow and I do some serious grades +10%, also clear over a mile of driveway and privet roads, I don't even do chains.

Last year I did a rear blade and rear snow blower, this year front loader blade, rear snow blower.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Load the rears and add chains, don't load the fronts. It will work just fine.
Very Nice rig for it's age!!! & the largest ridding lawn mower I ever did see! :D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Bluegill, the quote is "That's the second biggest riding mower I've ever seen"... :D

Yup chains and block or lower radiator heater will have it ready for snow. Nice looking tractor. I think the bent stack is a fashion statement isn't it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think the bent stack is a fashion statement isn't it?
Yep I think it's swept back because it's so fast! ;)

Note: Some previous owner had removed muffler and all on mine and ran a under body style pipe and muffler, I really wasn't happy about it, smoke in my face bouncing off the snow blower was just no fun, and at $700+ for the factory under hood muffler and exhaust stack I opted for the cheaper version! :D

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
You would be surprised how well those tire go in snow, REALLY!

Big Kahuna

Madhatter

Equipment
L3450-F
Sep 23, 2014
Lehigh Valley, PA
Thanks for the replies, looks like loaded tires and chains it will be.

I hadn't really given much thought to a block heater. Several friends have Kubota's and none of them seem to need heaters for cold starts. But thinking about it, a little heat has got to be better for the longevity of the engine. The heaters do not seem all that spendy so I will be adding that to my to-do list.

Looks like my engine has no threaded ports to install one so it's either going to be a coolant hose style or a freeze out plug style.

Any pro's or cons with either? Seems to me it would be more efficient to put the heat directly into the block.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like my engine has no threaded ports to install one so it's either going to be a coolant hose style or a freeze out plug style. Any pro's or cons with either? Seems to me it would be more efficient to put the heat directly into the block.
I have had both, just changed from a hose style to a block style, cleaner install and better heat transfer, IMHO it's better to keep the heat in the block.