2018 rtv-xg850 running like trash at only 125.5 hours

truckfixer

Equipment
rtv-xg850sl
May 2, 2023
Cusick WA
when I first got the machine it always smelled like a gas station while running and recently the thing wouldn't really run at all so I pulled the plugs and cleaned and gapped em and it ran better for a month before it coughed and sputtered so bad it couldn't even move in low range and today I cleaned all the sensors and changed the spark arrestor(bent) and it now gets up to 20 barely struggling but sputters and backfires the whole time still (exhaust only) idles funny too but only sometimes which annoys me to no end

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
Check your fuel pressure too. Had a polaris SXS that did the same and the pressure regulator in the pump was sticking.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So I'm clear, this is a gasoline engine? Just want to make sure... ;)

This is a 2018 machine with only 125 hours. You recently bought/came to own it?

You said it had 87 octane in it, which to me says ethanol gas. Ethanol gas is really bad in my estimation, especially for something not used daily/regularly.

I would start with the carburetor. E-gas is notoriously bad on carbs.....

I would NEVER use E-gas on anything smaller than my V-8 truck....

Reactions: 1 user

truckfixer

Equipment
rtv-xg850sl
May 2, 2023
Cusick WA
it's a fuel injected gas and it has no fuel pressure check port so I'm not sure how to check the fuel pressure and it ran just fine on ethanol for over a year and was used about 4 times a month but got new fuel every month so I don't think that's my issue

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would start with the carburetor. E-gas is notoriously bad on carbs.....
it's a fuel injected gas and it has no fuel pressure check port so I'm not sure how to check the fuel pressure and it ran just fine on ethanol for over a year and was used about 4 times a month but got new fuel every month so I don't think that's my issue
Ouch, my bad. My apologies -- - I was way off with that one..... :oops:

Obviously not familiar with RTV's.

I hate to give bad advice, and that was a good example.

You say it smells "rich" while running.... is the smell in the exhaust, or possibly a leak somewhere else?

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
it has no fuel pressure check port so I'm not sure how to check the fuel pressure
I pulled the hose off the pump outlet (top of the tank) and tee'd my fuel pressure test kit gauge into it with hose clamps.

it smelled rich out of the exhaust but with its not poor running condition it no longer smells rich
So backfiring out exhaust could be air (blocked screens, filters), lack of ignition, or it could be a valve lash or build up issue. With EFIs I start with the easy stuff:
- Change/Gap plugs
- Test the fuel pressure
- clean the air filters
- Spark plug tester make sure I'm getting good spark
- and compression check them.
- and and new gas

Somewhere in there is usually an indication of where the problem is coming from.

truckfixer

Equipment
rtv-xg850sl
May 2, 2023
Cusick WA
testing spark is a bit hard with coil on plug (especially this coil) and the air filter is clean but the throttle body just got cleaned as it was covered in dirt and I had to do some extra repairs to the plastic intake body

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
From the manual:
1683073317626.png

Are you getting any codes?

Only thing on this list that wasnt mentioned already is the fuel filter. I dont know if you have an external filter or just the sock on the bottom of the pump. I dont see an inline in the parts diagram.

Tests I mentioned earlier helps narrow this down. You should be able to get an inline spark tester that works fine with that coil. They are like $5 at harbor freight.

Your air intake repair wouldnt have caused your issue, by chance? I dont know what you repaired.

1683073261656.png

truckfixer

Equipment
rtv-xg850sl
May 2, 2023
Cusick WA
repair was to fix damage from shipping that happened after it was running like garbage (couldn't actually get on the trailer by itself) but the intake before the injectors isn't silver anymore so that might be an issue but it was running like that since before the 60 hour mark (purchased by me) I mean it had more power but had mud in the Intake. btw what octane is this machine supposed to use?

truckfixer

Equipment
rtv-xg850sl
May 2, 2023
Cusick WA
From the manual:
View attachment 101563
Are you getting any codes?

Only thing on this list that wasnt mentioned already is the fuel filter. I dont know if you have an external filter or just the sock on the bottom of the pump. I dont see an inline in the parts diagram.

Tests I mentioned earlier helps narrow this down. You should be able to get an inline spark tester that works fine with that coil. They are like $5 at harbor freight.

Your air intake repair wouldnt have caused your issue, by chance? I dont know what you repaired.

View attachment 101562
oh also no codes at all unless I unplug an injector or coil

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
oh also no codes at all unless I unplug an injector or coil
Here's a link to your owners manual. Page 57 has the fluids...

1683074797242.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you done a compression test?
As it's really sounding like you've dusted the cylinders.
Any smoke?

truckfixer

Equipment
rtv-xg850sl
May 2, 2023
Cusick WA
Have you done a compression test?
As it's really sounding like you've dusted the cylinders.
Any smoke?
compression would be it being slow the whole time. it'll spin the tires off the line and up to 20 and then just fall on its face at 3500 rpm and it doesn't smoke at all. also starts pretty good right now