2017 Grand L6060 with ERROR No.20 CAN (Engine) NG

BlackDogRanchWY

Equipment
2017 L6060 HSTC, LA1055 Loader, BH92 Back Hoe w/thumb, L4474 Snow Blower,
May 10, 2021
Bedford, WY
Greetings,
My L6060, with 600 hours, is stalling after around an hour of normal operation. "Error No. 20 CAN (Engine) NG" pops up on the display. If I let it set for about 20 minutes it usually will start up again, but the problem is recurring. Tractor stalled last Sept and would not restart. Dealer in Logan, Utah replaced the ECU under warranty at around 550 hours. Had undetermined issues with the glow plug circuit that seem to be resolved after improving the ground on the 90amp alternator.
Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should check, or do, would be genuinely appreciated. Trying to avoid having to load it up and hauling it 3 hours to Logan from Star Valley Wyoming.

Attachments

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Sounds like a temperature related short is forming.

If it was mine, I would:
Disconnect battery
Then loosen alternator and rotate it through the adjustment range to scrap the paint off the surfaces, may even need lower bracket removed to remove paint.
retention belt
reconnect battery
On first key on engine off while holding display move to menu D" and follow prompt to clear code, exit by turning key off

If this does not work then you may need some dealer help... Can errors usually resolve to ecu/body errors. Sounds like your rig should have actually gotten a new harness the first time to fix this issue along with wiped out ecu.

Ill caveat the display menu. You can put the tractor into a limp/fine tune mode by not executing a command fully. So don't go joy riding the menu without literature or guidance.

Last edited:

BlackDogRanchWY

Equipment
2017 L6060 HSTC, LA1055 Loader, BH92 Back Hoe w/thumb, L4474 Snow Blower,
May 10, 2021
Bedford, WY
Sounds like a temperature related short is forming.

If it was mine, I would:
Disconnect battery
Then loosen alternator and rotate it through the adjustment range to scrap the paint off the surfaces, may even need lower bracket removed to remove paint.
retention belt
reconnect battery
On first key on engine off while holding display move to menu D" and follow prompt to clear code, exit by turning key off

If this does not work then you may need some dealer help... Can errors usually resolve to ecu/body errors. Sounds like your rig should have actually gotten a new harness the first time to fix this issue along with wiped out ecu.

Ill caveat the display menu. You can put the tractor into a limp/fine tune mode by not executing a command fully. So don't go joy riding the menu without literature or guidance.
Looks like a trip to the dealership is in my immediate future...thank you for the reply.

Docjohnson

Equipment
L6060
Dec 3, 2023
McCoy tx
I’m want to know how this turned out? Same issues with the same machine….. dealership said it was a break in the wire harness and it’d be 8 k to replace the harness. So I brought it home and traced down every wire. All are good. It was 1200 for the diagnostic….. and I am stumped any help would be great!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If 'Can error' is really a CANbus error, it may be that 2 or more 'computers' aren't talking to each other. CANbus is a terrible design prone to a LOT of problems ,that other communication methods just don't have.
First thing to do is check ALL the wiring,especially the CANbus. usually 4 wires, 2 need to be twisted. Unplug/replug ALL the connectors several times. Take EVERY ground off, clean and reinstall, same with +12 power cables.See if there's an unused CANbus connector.If so it 'should' have a terminator in it.
Hopefully you'll find something that causes the error. it'd be nice if someone TOLD you WHAT causes 'error 20'. THAT would really help !

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Dang I’m in the wrong business 😂. A scope and a wiring diagram ought to find the problem relatively quick on a tractor…

edit: I would prefer to not do a blind test of disconnecting,wiggling, cleaning connections, etc before trying to diagnose an electrical problem by chance. Would rather know for sure I found that problem with proper checks…

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Master Error "20" is about the can bus message between ecu and intelli panel. It wouldn't hurt to pull the gray shroud off to see if there is any physical damage to the wires. The can bus on this machine is relatively short, not as complex as a Mercedes. The can bus terminators are either in the ecu's themselves or the harness. There is an "main computer on the column by your foot, engine ecu under the seat, and the intelli panel. Just trace wires, you will more than likely see physical damage, corrosion somewhere. Can bus wires seem to be particularly sensitive to corrosion damage. The signals can really only be seen with an oscilloscope. The voltmeter test is not real conclusive for can signals. Another thing to consider is a power dead computer, will give a no communication error. Checking for voltage at the power pins/grounds are important as well.

In short according to the troubleshooting guide, it means the main computer(right foot center column, to intelli panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Docjohnson

Equipment
L6060
Dec 3, 2023
McCoy tx
Master Error "20" is about the can bus message between ecu and intelli panel. It wouldn't hurt to pull the gray shroud off to see if there is any physical damage to the wires. The can bus on this machine is relatively short, not as complex as a Mercedes. The can bus terminators are either in the ecu's themselves or the harness. There is an "main computer on the column by your foot, engine ecu under the seat, and the intelli panel. Just trace wires, you will more than likely see physical damage, corrosion somewhere. Can bus wires seem to be particularly sensitive to corrosion damage. The signals can really only be seen with an oscilloscope. The voltmeter test is not real conclusive for can signals. Another thing to consider is a power dead computer, will give a no communication error. Checking for voltage at the power pins/grounds are important as well.

In short according to the troubleshooting guide, it means the main computer(right foot center column, to intelli panel.
I’m having the same trouble, checked all wires they are good. Main ecu and intelli panel were switched out during diagnostics and no fix. Kabota say I have no continuity in some can bus wires. I checked and found that that is not true. I also have found that I’m missing a resistor at the check connection. Kabota says they didn’t touch it but that I need it. I don’t see how it would have ran before if it was never there. Even so, they don’t sell the resistor separately from the wire harness and want me to buy a harness for 2500$ is there some other way. They tried to charge me 8 k before I traced this down….. saying it was broken wires. I spent 38k cash on this tractor and it worked for less than 3 months. I also paid 1200$ for a diagnostic that was bullshit. Sounds like this company is just out to rob us.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I’m having the same trouble, checked all wires they are good. Main ecu and intelli panel were switched out during diagnostics and no fix. Kabota say I have no continuity in some can bus wires. I checked and found that that is not true. I also have found that I’m missing a resistor at the check connection. Kabota says they didn’t touch it but that I need it. I don’t see how it would have ran before if it was never there. Even so, they don’t sell the resistor separately from the wire harness and want me to buy a harness for 2500$ is there some other way. They tried to charge me 8 k before I traced this down….. saying it was broken wires. I spent 38k cash on this tractor and it worked for less than 3 months. I also paid 1200$ for a diagnostic that was bullshit. Sounds like this company is just out to rob us.
I believe you posted on fb. So you already checked power to the under seat relays, and their function? Care to show your harness and the missing resistor plug/schematic? I have a 6060 so I can compare if needed.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I spent 38k cash on this tractor and it worked for less than 3 months. I also paid 1200$ for a diagnostic that was bullshit. Sounds like this company is just out to rob us.
That would be your Kabota Dealership, not Kubota Corporation.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
canbus is only problematic if you have issues with it

in my experience with the stuff i work on, it's been mostly trouble free-except for when the rats eat the wiring.

dealer i used to work for, I still talk with the guys over there. Shop guys still griping about can system errors, apparently kubota can't source a harness that is worth anything. Dunno, that's just what they keep saying. Glad I'm out of that business.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: CANbus terminator is just a 120 ohm resistor, a 10 cent part, though you'll need the 'connector'.
As to whether you 'need' it depends upon wiring, weather and who designed the 'system'.
Lots of other factors but, yes, you should have the terminator.
if you have the WSM, in the electrical section, there should be a page with the connectors used and it may have the manufacturer of the connectors. The BX23S WSM does.