2015 SVL90-2 starting-stalling

kubotaga

Equipment
Kubota SVL90-2, Bobcat T250, Kioti DK50, Takeuchi TB228, Ferris ISX 3300
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
I have a 2015 Kubota SVL90-2 CTL.

I purchased it used 3 years ago as a repo from the company that does Kubota financing. It had 1,100 hours and it and the dealer in Florida did the full 1,000 service for the finance company.

The machine has always bee a little hard to start(cranks for a few seconds before it fires up), as opposed to my Bobcat T250 which fires right up when you twist the key even if it has sat unused for 6 months.

Last September I was cutting out a driveway and the machine dropped into a limp and then stalled and would not crank. Got the code e9310.

The next morning the machine cranked up. Since I had 400 hours of use on the machine I decided to take it home and do the 500 service and see if changing the fuel filter would help it.

I did the service and the machine cranked and ran fine for 15 hours or so. I was using the machine a couple weeks ago and it did the limp/stall/no crank thing again. Same code.

The next morning it cranked so I loaded it and took it home.

I changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the water separator. I cut the old filter in half and it was clean. No water in the water separator.

I cranked it and it ran for 20 minutes and then went into limp/stall/no crank again. No codes.

I used starting fluid the next day to get it to crank and it ran for 2-1/2 hours of work before it went limp/stall/no crank. No codes.

From reading here, Googling, Youtube and the dealer I tried cleaning the fuel lines at th 90 degree bend in and out of the water separator(they were already clean) and checking the DPF temp sensor wiring harnesses(they were good).

I started the machine with starting fluid and it ran 20 minutes and then went into limp/stall/no crank. No codes.

Are there and other fuel screen/filters I'm missing? I have the service manual but it does not have a "fuel" section and I can't find anything I haven't covered that is not electronic.

The good news is I can get it cranked to load it and go to the dealer.

My concern is the dealer will "fix" it, charge me big bucks and then it does it again in 15 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
E:9310 is Starter Inhibited.
You need to take it to the dealer so they can connect their Diagmaster program to it and read the codes. There are a lot of codes that you will not see on the hour meter, they are stored in the ECM.

Usually, there is a problem with a sensor or wiring. Sounds like it is reading too high exhaust temp or a sensor open or out of range.

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
whitetiger, I appreciate the reply.

I didn't realize there were codes that wouldn't show up on the gauges.

Thankfully I can get the machine to start to load it easily.

I'll post up what the dealer figures out.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
FYI..
You might want to be careful using starter fluid or perhaps not use it at all. Some owners have had engine problems after doing so.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
FYI..
You might want to be careful using starter fluid or perhaps not use it at all. Some owners have had engine problems after doing so.
Starting fluid should never be used in a unit with automatic glowplugs such as this. It can break a piston, score the cylinder walls, blow the intake manifold off in pieces, burn the rubber hoses and filter, etc, etc.

It makes good degreaser thought :D

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
Now you tell me!

I went very light on the spray. Hopefully I didn't hurt it.

Thanks for the tip!

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
Well, today marks two weeks my machine has been at the dealer. edit: Dropped it off on Monday morning 20 April 2020.

They stated they started it and it ran for two hours so nothing is wrong.

I told them they may have to dig a little deeper and do some actual trouble shooting since it has run for me for 15 hours between episodes, 20 minutes between episodes and then 2.5 hours between episodes.

I sure wish this machine had a one wire Cummins 4BT in it.

I guess they will start throwing parts at it hoping to get lucky and fix it.

In other news, I spent 13k on a lawn mower yesterday and the middle blade came off after 5 minutes of use. I have the 22 page "Dealer Setup & Adjustment Instructions" manual so I guess I'll go back through A BRAND NEW MOWER with some Loctite and a torque wrench. :rolleyes:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
starting fluid will bend rods, break pistons, rings, lift the head, and a bunch of other stuff that I won't mention (like crack crankshafts). Yes I have seen and fixed all those personally. Diesel engine should never ever be subject to the use of starting fluid, ever. If it is, expect engine damage.

Almost sounds like the injectors are bypassing. Ask the shop to pull all 4 injectors and send them out for testing. Even one bypassing will cause a loss of rail pressure enough to generate a no start or sometimes a stalling issue. Occasionally failing injector(s) will throw a P0087 or P0093 code, but not always. In that case they'll have to datalog the rail pressure while running and/or stalling, or if a no-start condition, datalog the rail pressure while cranking. diagmaster is the only way to do this. Also sometimes failing injunktors will also cause dpf codes; but again not always.

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
starting fluid will bend rods, break pistons, rings, lift the head, and a bunch of other stuff that I won't mention (like crack crankshafts). Yes I have seen and fixed all those personally. Diesel engine should never ever be subject to the use of starting fluid, ever. If it is, expect engine damage.
Will it hurt the engine if you spray the starting fluid on a rag and put the rag over the intake? I saw a mobile mechanic do that on my backhoe once.

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
Are there and other fuel screen/filters I'm missing? I have the service manual but it does not have a "fuel" section...
The dealer just called and said the machine is fixed.

They said that there is a screen in the fuel pump that was clogged.

I was unaware there was screen in the fuel pump. I did not see anything in the service manual or maintenance(operator) manual about it.

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
They stated they replaced the fuel filter. I put new filter on and the old filter was 15 hours old and showed clean when cut in half.

They replaced the water separator screen. I had just cleaned it.

I understand if it's a fuel issue you want everything 100% though.

They said the screen was clogged in the fuel pump. My service manual does not show a screen there. Is there one there?

My neighbor(a Jag restoration guy) said it sounded like a clogged screen somewhere when I told him what was going on. He was right.

Attachments

Last edited:

RossGibson2001

Equipment
Kubota SVL
Feb 4, 2021
Australia
They stated they replaced the fuel filter. I put new filter on and the old filter was 15 hours old and showed clean when cut in half.

They replaced the water separator screen. I had just cleaned it.

I understand if it's a fuel issue you want everything 100% though.

They said the screen was clogged in the fuel pump. My service manual does not show a screen there. Is there one there?

My neighbor(a Jag restoration guy) said it sounded like a clogged screen somewhere when I told him what was going on. He was right.
----------------------------------------------------------------

sorry for digging up a really old thread !

did you ever find out if there was a screen in the fuel pump?

thanks .

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I read this thread my gut said 'clean the fuel tank' ! My 400hr BX23S did a similar thing, start, run rough,die kinda randomly. Changed both filters(PITA)..NO difference. Removed the tank(not fun BTW) and got a chunk of hard plastic ou !!. It had lodged itself in the 'outlet tube' of the tank, reducing fuel to a dribble ! I have no idea WHERE this invader came from, but I now have a strainer in the filler neck and filter all my diesel. A 7 year old machine with only 1100 hrs means it's sat quite awhile so black bateria could have grown in the tank and eventually covered the inlet screen of the pump.

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
----------------------------------------------------------------

sorry for digging up a really old thread !

did you ever find out if there was a screen in the fuel pump?

thanks .
I never looked, but I'm fixing to look because it did it again yesterday.

I'll post when I get it located and swapped out.

kubotaga

Equipment
Apr 16, 2020
Watkinsville, GA USA
When I read this thread my gut said 'clean the fuel tank' ! My 400hr BX23S did a similar thing, start, run rough,die kinda randomly. Changed both filters(PITA)..NO difference. Removed the tank(not fun BTW) and got a chunk of hard plastic ou !!. It had lodged itself in the 'outlet tube' of the tank, reducing fuel to a dribble ! I have no idea WHERE this invader came from, but I now have a strainer in the filler neck and filter all my diesel. A 7 year old machine with only 1100 hrs means it's sat quite awhile so black bateria could have grown in the tank and eventually covered the inlet screen of the pump.
As soon as I'm finished with the new house and shop I'm pulling the tank and replacing(or cleaning and coating) the rusty fuel filler pipe.