2014 L3901 HST Stalls

SpeedyMC

Equipment
L3901
Oct 25, 2014
Batesville Indiana
I just bought a 2014 L3901 HST and while cutting pasture with rotary cutter it began to stall. If I released the pedal or depressed the clutch in time it wouldn't stall but as soon as I tried to move again it would stall. Disengaged the PTO but problem continued. Transmission seems hot but fluild levels were fine. If I let it set for 10 minutes or so it would run for a while and then start the same problem all over. Any ideas?

SpeedyMC

Equipment
L3901
Oct 25, 2014
Batesville Indiana
Didn't mention this before but tractor only has 3 hours on it as of last night. Doesn't seem to be a fuel issue as it starts right up and will run without a problem until I hit the HST drive then stalls, even with PTO disengaged. Checked the transmission fluid level again and it's topped off, was hard to check in dark last night since it's clear. I'm beginning to suspect the switch under the seat. Not sure I there's a way to adjust it or if I have to take it into a dealer. If I have to take it to a dealer after 3 hours of operation I'm going to start regertting buying Orange.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Move the seat way forward so more weight is on it. My better half didn't want to move 'my' seat and had the same problem at first. I told her it's just a seat...I put hers back down.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Seat safety switch is out of adjustment.
Look at it most are a simple adjustment to make it engage better. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Is the parking brake on? or not fully disengaged?

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Sounds like a seat safety switch to me. Great idea to check the parking break too! You may want to drop into Low and put in 4 wheel drive ,do the same task as when you stalled and see if you were loading the HST too much. Let us know if this gets you going.

SpeedyMC

Equipment
L3901
Oct 25, 2014
Batesville Indiana
Wasn't the parking brake, that was the first thing I checked. I'm really not sure what it was but yesterday I spent 2 hours cutting without a problem. Only thing I did different was to move the seat forward and then all the way back again (6'3" so I need the room). I'm not sure what was different yesterday but I've got about 4 more hours of mowing to do today so I'll see how it goes and let everyone know.

SpeedyMC

Equipment
L3901
Oct 25, 2014
Batesville Indiana
Well after moving the seat forward and then all the way back again I haven't had the problem again. I'm loving the new L3901, perfect size for my 14 acres.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a very common problem for the seat switches to get out of whack.
See no need to regret buying orange! ;)

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
It's a very common problem for the seat switches to get out of whack.
See no need to regret buying orange! ;)
Yup, when they dropped mine off it had the same problem mine has 6hrs on it now. My first tractor with all this safety stuff on it. I took a black wire tie and tied the switch down so it won't matter if I lean to the right on the seat anymore. Probably not the safest thing but it works fine.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Becareful of disabling safety switches, in a roll over/accident, etc it could enable the tractor to be still active causing more injury or a death.

I understand you must do what you need to do but think before you do.

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Here's another data point for the 3901 and the seat switch. Mine kept "stalling" too but it wasn't until I thought about what I was doing (occasionally standing up a bit to get better visibility) that I found out what the problem really was. I've also noticed that when cruising over bumpy ground, my up/down movement in the seat is enough to make the tractor hesitate.

I haven't done anything (yet) to alter this switch, but just knowing that I need to keep my butt firmly planted in the seat at all times goes a long way to preventing that stalling feeling.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
The seat base is plastic, all you gotta do is lean just right, or wrong, and it will make that switch sense that you're out of the seat and shut down

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I like the safety aspect of the seat switch and don't plan on bypassing it, but I do find it hard to standup and put the seat forward when running my Woodmaxx PTO chipper. I find if I turn while I'm standing and put my right hand on the top back of the seat I can keep the switch in the butt in the seat mode and then get out of the way to put the seat forward for the running PTO mode.