2009 RTV1100

Lakebuster

Equipment
GrandL5040, RTV1100, ZTR331, B2601
Jul 1, 2021
SW Louisiana
We have a RTV-1100 with 936 hrs. It seems to use a good bit of fuel for a small 3cylinder engine. Only thing that has not been done from maintenance is valves adjusted. I hear no valve clatter. Could this be causing the high fuel consumption or should I look elsewhere?

Attachments

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
More info will likely get better answers...

machine new to yall or have you owned it the whole 936 hrs?

something you noticed suddenly?

whats the fuel usage?

any exhaust smoke noticed while running?

oil level overful?

what kind of work are you doing with it?

While valve adjustment is not likely your problem, any and all info you can give will help get better answers.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You'll never hear any valve clatter unless you know what to listen for. It's extremely faint and can't be readily audible over the normal diesel engine noises on the 1100's. And for that matter, 99% of kubota engines in general. The smaller the engine the less audible any valve train noise will be.

at 900+ hours it's past time for a valve check and possibly adjustment anyway. Might as well do it, although I doubt you'll notice anything different. Perhaps a bit more horsepower but nothing real noticeable.

excessive fuel usage can be about anything. Hot weather results in less torque produced by the engine which results in the operator pushing the "throttle pedal" down more which results in more fuel usage. Dirty air filter or air intake can cause it too. Among many other things. I've even heard of a stuck hydraulic dump bed lift lever causing it (and low power) as the lever was stuck between full down and "neutral".

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My new sidekick eats gas like there's no tomorrow. I sometimes wish it were diesel. My experience in all vehicles is fuel consumption gets better in hot weather.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Unless you have been keeping careful records your observation that increased fuel consumption is occuring….is subjective….

Valves which are overdue for adjustment are usually too tight…not too loose…. in my experience with new equipment. As the valves wear-in and complete seating they descend into their cavities and valve clearances become tighter….not looser.
In older equipment…once the initial break-in adjustment has been accomplished…. then continued wear usually occurs at the cam-lobes and rocker-arm-contact-point with the valve-stem …which results in excessive clearance and ”may” be heard as “clatter”….. but not likely to be heard in a diesel.

This is why valves that are never properly adjusted from new break-in… often survive well into years as they age…. because the pattern of wear is first reduced clearance, then increased clearance, which tends to cancel each other out….. IF you are sufficiently lucky not to burn a valve after failing to make the first post-break-in-adjustment.

As for your perceived excessing fuel-consumption… I’d recommend you first look for a leak. It’s possible that during operations a leak is dropping fuel on the ground and going unnoticed. If no physical leak is occurring then I’d suspect fuel injector cleaning or injector-pump calibration.
Is the RTV showing black smoke when none was previously observed? If a sudden actual increase were occurring then the exhaust should show black smoke from running too rich.

Maladjusted valves… such as “clatter” from excessive clearance…. would be unlikely to significantly affect fuel consumption anyway…. Fuel consumption is a function of cylinder volume, RPM, and pump pressure/timing.… all other things such as altitude, barometric pressure, and work-load being equal.
It’s very unlikely the average operator/owner would have instrumentation and consistency of work-load to be able to detect a fuel consumption change from mechanical valve issues.…and the relatively low-time-in-operations of the subject engine is not concerning as to piston/ring wear or other engine-wear-friction issues.
Now transmission slippage might be suspicious if you are consistently doing the same tasks…. but if you’re now performing tasks differently than previously…. or have come into the habit of carrying around more junk/heavier loads…. etc etc….

Last edited:

Lakebuster

Equipment
GrandL5040, RTV1100, ZTR331, B2601
Jul 1, 2021
SW Louisiana
More info will likely get better answers...

machine new to yall or have you owned it the whole 936 hrs?

something you noticed suddenly?

whats the fuel usage?

any exhaust smoke noticed while running?

oil level overful?

what kind of work are you doing with it?

While valve adjustment is not likely your problem, any and all info you can give will help get better answers.
We have owned since new. No smoke when operating, just changed oil using RotellaT6 and oil level perfect. The work we do with it is picking up sticks on our property and bringing to burn pile.
Two things I found yesterday was all tires seemed aired up but where at 7-10 psi, put all to 20 psi and found spark arrestor partially plugged. Cleaned it and reinstalled. Also 1 block away we own a 30 unit apartment complex, so the wife makes multiple trips on some days and noticed when I went with her she had the pedal to the metal in Medium range, I asked her to place it in High when traveling this distance. Of course she did not, but I think the partially plugged spark arrestor and her driving habits is the culprit. Also I just retired and probably did not pay attention!