2007 6040 seems to run out of fuel, what am I missing?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Thanks Nicksacco.....I'll leave that to others. I already have too much to do. But the protective adds are really necessary to protect all of those rods, cables, hydraulic lines and filters, gas tank if you run through rough stuff bush hogging old pastures. Clean pastures, plowing, etc. probably doesn't require any protection. I'm missing the O ring on top of the plastic separator. Very likely that is where the air leakage is. 1917

View attachment 81377
I have had that style filter fail several times. Try to turn the inlet and outlet fittings and see if they move easily. If they do, fill around the base of the fittings and the filter housing with JB Weld, let it set up and see if it will run. If the problem goes away, replace the whole thing. It will vibrate loose and do it again. The symptoms you describe are similar.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There should be an o-ring on top of the water separator cup that seals it to the metal housing, there's nothing between the cup and the spin-on collar.
THIS^^^^

I suspect your entire lack of fuel to the pump and fuel pressure downstream is because it’s sucking AIR due to no O-ring at the separator.

<edit> Ooops.… I see you’ve followed tigers’ advice.… I posted reply before reading all the way thru.<>

Biobor is a fungicide for jet fuel and diesel. Don’t over-dose it, and don’t just “dump” in into the tank. It should be fed into the tank into the re-fueling stream to assure proper mixing.

Last edited:

1917-1911M

Equipment
Kubota 6040 2007 model
Jun 5, 2022
Indian Springs, Alabama
Another full, hot day of bushhogging over timber crew ruts and hog nose plowed up areas. Must be 100f here with 300% humidity. But the tractor ran fine. Bobcat needed a new $200 battery. That and some diesel and I was down $350 pretty darn quickly. What I really need is a bulldozer. I don't know anything about them but I want one. 1917

1917-1911M

Equipment
Kubota 6040 2007 model
Jun 5, 2022
Indian Springs, Alabama
THIS^^^^

I suspect your entire lack of fuel to the pump and fuel pressure downstream is because it’s sucking AIR due to no O-ring at the separator.

<edit> Ooops.… I see you’ve followed tigers’ advice.… I posted reply before reading all the way thru.<>

Biobor is a fungicide for jet fuel and diesel. Don’t over-dose it, and don’t just “dump” in into the tank. It should be fed into the tank into the re-fueling stream to assure proper mixing.
I did that very thing GeoHorn except I used irrigation pipe glue....it is really thick and sets up very quickly yet remains a bit pliable. There is no way it can be sucked into the fuel system.....but, the missing O ring was the problem. And I had tightened the metal band tight....flat blade screwdriver and hammer to tap it tight. Still didn't work. The O ring works perfectly and only requires hand tightening. I guess I had dropped it some previous time and didn't notice. Sure would be helpful if the dealer would suggest a few things like the O ring when a customer comes in explaining the problems and purchasing new and expensive parts. Again, thanks for all the good ideas everyone. 1917

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I did that very thing GeoHorn except I used irrigation pipe glue....it is really thick and sets up very quickly yet remains a bit pliable. There is no way it can be sucked into the fuel system.....but, the missing O ring was the problem. And I had tightened the metal band tight....flat blade screwdriver and hammer to tap it tight. Still didn't work. The O ring works perfectly and only requires hand tightening. I guess I had dropped it some previous time and didn't notice. Sure would be helpful if the dealer would suggest a few things like the O ring when a customer comes in explaining the problems and purchasing new and expensive parts. Again, thanks for all the good ideas everyone. 1917
I know what you mean about recommending o-rings. I just bought a fuel filter and by dumb luck opened the box to look at it and the parts guy told me that it did not come with the o-rings. I had him add them, just my luck I would drop and lose one when I needed it.

1917-1911M

Equipment
Kubota 6040 2007 model
Jun 5, 2022
Indian Springs, Alabama
Happy that you're up and running!
Man,you need an air conditioned cab!
Are you kidding....I'd never come in. I don't even have a cab. Back in 2013 my roll over protection snagged on an 80' long Oak limb I had bush hogged under 500 times. This time it caught, broke the limb off which fell on my head, slammed my face into the steering wheel and shuttle lever bending them both down 90 degrees. Did $8,000 worth of damage to the dash, fenders, etc. Didn't knock me out but blew out my right orbit. Popped up with my left eye looking straight ahead, right eye looking about 70 degree to the right. 30 miles to the hospital, 50 more to a better one......drove home and had it operated on. Russian med student working with the eye dr. I walked in and heard them kidding him about bush hogs. He wasn't sure what they were. I joined in and told him he should, they came from Russia, stood about 8' tall, could climb trees and that I'd got in a tangle with one without my big gun. Said he was going to have to look those up. Best eye Dr in Birmingham where I live......never had any more issues with the eye. The shuttle lever and shifter are both still stiff and a bit hard to shift. 90% of everything I do is either in 3rd or 4th anyway.

I try to pass everything useful I know along. Some people won't tell you anything. I needed internet at the farm for fifteen years. With all the stuff I help these kids with not one ever said you know you can get that over your phone. I discovered that by accident. That's what I'm on now while cooling off. Another hot day. 1917