2004 B2710 HST doesn't want to move after warm

Structuralguy

Equipment
Kubota B2710 HST
Jan 14, 2023
North Carolina
Hello All,
My first post on my first tractor so your patience is greatly appreciated as I'm sure I'll leave out something. I bought a 2004 B2710 HST with a front end loader and 1100 hours in Oct 2022. Just wanted the tractor to move dirt and mulch around in the yard on weekends. I used it several times and noticed that driving power seemed to diminish as the tractor got warmed up. I worked around this for a while and just used the tractor 30 minutes at a time. Last week I decided to go ahead and do a full service. I changed oil and hydraulic fluid, fuel filter, both hydraulic filters and cleaned the hydraulic screens located on the "rear diff". I still have the same issue. It looks like this question has been posed a few times, but I've not been able to locate a solution. Other threads that I've found similar;

Other symptoms that may help:
  • My loader hydraulics are really strong and easily lift the front of the tractor or a bucket of dirt while the tractor is hot or cold.
  • I can cold start the tractor and leave it idle for 15-20 minutes, come back and it does not want to pull out of its tracks in high gear.
  • I can cold start the tractor and take off in high gear with minimal HST whining while the tractor is cold.
  • This issue does affect high, medium and low gears. If I use the tractor long enough, eventually it doesn't want to move in low.
I would appreciate any advice you guys could throw my way.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Please post exactly what brand and type of fluid you used.
Re loader: does your tractor have a separate hydraulic pump driven on the end of the engine crankshaft?
When using the bush hog, does the pto shaft ever stop turning when the pto is engaged?
Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Structuralguy

Equipment
Kubota B2710 HST
Jan 14, 2023
North Carolina
Please post exactly what brand and type of fluid you used.
Re loader: does your tractor have a separate hydraulic pump driven on the end of the engine crankshaft?
When using the bush hog, does the pto shaft ever stop turning when the pto is engaged?
Dave
Hi Dave,
I used Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Fluid Trans/Hydraulic from Tractor Supply.

I'm not sure about the separate pump at the end of the crankshaft. I don't see anything obvious that looks like a pump and the only hydraulic lines coming from the trans go to the valve on the side that also works by loader. I'm in very unfamiliar territory here so I've attached a few pictures of the underneath to be sure.

The pto does not stop turning while the pto is engaged.

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The B2710 is identical to my B 2910 except for engine HP from what I understand. There is no separate hydraulic pump for the loader.

Using anything other than Kubota fluids is not a good idea. I don’t know if they could cause the problem, and apparently are not the cause since you had the problem before you change the fluids. It’s always possible that the previous owner also used non-Kabota fluids and ended up damaging the seals or something in the HST side.

So the only help I can give us to say that there is no independent pump for the loader… I’m sure of that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Number one cause for issues like this is a failing clutch disk or pressure plate.
To test this, you need to put a PTO powered implement on the tractor.
Run the tractor to the point where it will not move, have the PTO engaged and try and move it, does the PTO slow down or stop turning, It will free coast so you need to load it a little, like a mower in grass.

As far a fluid goes, you need to change the fluids and filters and use UDT or better yet SUDT2

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi Dave,
I used Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Fluid Trans/Hydraulic from Tractor Supply.

I'm not sure about the separate pump at the end of the crankshaft. I don't see anything obvious that looks like a pump and the only hydraulic lines coming from the trans go to the valve on the side that also works by loader. I'm in very unfamiliar territory here so I've attached a few pictures of the underneath to be sure.

The pto does not stop turning while the pto is engaged.
My question has to do with the integrity of your clutch. It powers both the HST transmission and the rear pto.
By having an implement like a bush hog on the pto and try and power it when these symptoms occur, if the pto slows or stops it points to you needing a new clutch. For this test the pto needs to have a big load on it not just turning free. Back the bush hog into heavy grass.

It is a bad idea to use other than the best Kubota fluids when you have an HST.
Dave

Structuralguy

Equipment
Kubota B2710 HST
Jan 14, 2023
North Carolina
Were you able to fix your problem, and what was it? I have the same issue and am looking for some ideas… thanks!
No I have not. For now I just limp around in low gear once the tractor is hot. I don’t use it a lot but it’s definitely aggravating. I fear it is the transmission.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No I have not. For now I just limp around in low gear once the tractor is hot. I don’t use it a lot but it’s definitely aggravating. I fear it is the transmission.
If you don't test it the way we say, you'll never know if it's a simple fix or not.

One other option could be restricted flow through the filters for the HST, there are 2.

1686548090404.png