2001 B7400 or new BX2370

carls4ncar

Nov 4, 2014
Inchelium Washington
Hello Everybody.

I would like to buy a small Kubota to maintain my gravel driveway, clear snow and do some light landscaping. I have a friend who has a 2001 B7400 with a front end loader and about a hundred hours on it that he would like to sell me for somewhere around 7k to 7.5k. The tractor is in like new condition. The biggest concern is that there is no power steering and I am slightly concerned that it may be a little low on power if I wanted to eventually run a snow blower. My other choice is a new BX2370 with a front loader for about 14.5 out the door including 9.5% Wa. State sales tax. I like the fact that it has power steering and a little extra power over the B7400. I planned to just pay cash for the B7400 and uses the zero down 0% financing with Kubota for the new tractor. I am really torn at what to do. I like the idea of saving money but I am a little worried about not having power steering from what I have been reading on the forums. This will be my first tractor. Any input is much appreciated. Also if I did buy the 7400 and ended up wanting something different later would it be hard to sell since it does not have P/S? Thank You

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello Everybody.

I would like to buy a small Kubota to maintain my gravel driveway, clear snow and do some light landscaping. I have a friend who has a 2001 B7400 with a front end loader and about a hundred hours on it that he would like to sell me for somewhere around 7k to 7.5k. The tractor is in like new condition. The biggest concern is that there is no power steering and I am slightly concerned that it may be a little low on power if I wanted to eventually run a snow blower. My other choice is a new BX2370 with a front loader for about 14.5 out the door including 9.5% Wa. State sales tax. I like the fact that it has power steering and a little extra power over the B7400. I planned to just pay cash for the B7400 and uses the zero down 0% financing with Kubota for the new tractor. I am really torn at what to do. I like the idea of saving money but I am a little worried about not having power steering from what I have been reading on the forums. This will be my first tractor. Any input is much appreciated. Also if I did buy the 7400 and ended up wanting something different later would it be hard to sell since it does not have P/S? Thank You
here is something to look at too....the B7400 has a little more lift in the rear 3 point than the BX.......little lighter too.

lets say you get the 7400 - you are out 7.5 K .....I think it will do what you need it to do, true it might be a little under powered but you did say "light landscaping" ......lets say that you find out a year from now that it isnt right......you are not going to lose hardly any money on it, you will have almost used it for free.......it has a 100 hours on it ???? shhooot it aint broke in good! - let her get to 200 hours change all fluids and you will have a machine that will run forever!!!!

If you buy the BX, damn nice machine - I have one......but 14.5 plus another damn near 10% on top of that and you increased HP by a good margin......
if you decide after a year to sell it , you will take a beating.......

as for the power steering - I have the BX and it drives with the pinkie on the wheel, very nice....I also have a B7100 without PS, and when I placed the speed knob on it ....it made a huge difference!!! The $14 knob makes it very easy to do little stuff now.

GO and drive the B7400 around - use the bucket, if the guy has a blade use it too. For what you want to do - I think it will be a huge asset ! If not - you will not lose a lot if any on selling it - if it is in the condition you say.

I really dont think that 8K is worth it at this point.

just my two cents....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It really easy spending someone elses money,, now just MHO,, the BX is 14.5 out the door, 2 years warranty on everything, should ever need it, and parts and labor aint cheap, unless you can do it your self, then parts aint cheap. 0% to me that's a no brainer, and the 2670 is a beast I would rather have a bit more tractor and not need it than saying damn I wish I had some more weight or hp, it will not lack for power and it is sweet when it comes to moving around. And if I am not mistaken I believe that 0% is to add ons as well. Either way you will do well.
I would just opt for the new machine, only cause I have been bitten to many times by a good deal

carls4ncar

Nov 4, 2014
Inchelium Washington
Thanks Hokie85 and Skeets. Great input from you both. I feel a little better about the B7400 now. if I can get it for the right price I could always try it out for a year and If it doesn't work out I will get the BX. I am a mechanic by trade so with a manual I should be able to repair it if there is a problem. As far as I know it has been used mostly for mowing and I think he has been pretty easy on it so hopefully it should be in good shape mechanically.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks Hokie85 and Skeets. Great input from you both. I feel a little better about the B7400 now. if I can get it for the right price I could always try it out for a year and If it doesn't work out I will get the BX. I am a mechanic by trade so with a manual I should be able to repair it if there is a problem. As far as I know it has been used mostly for mowing and I think he has been pretty easy on it so hopefully it should be in good shape mechanically.

At 100 hours it aint done a whole lot!!!!!!!!:D:D

let us know which one you go with..............I have the BX and turned around and bought a B7100 just for shytes and giggles !!!!!!! Great tractor .........gonna be my #1 grass cutter !!!!!!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd get the B7400 in the wink of an eye. It has about the same weight, R1 tires that are also bigger, and leaves you with enough $$ for a couple or 3 nice implements. For your needs, the horsepower should be fine - you will be doing most light landscaping in the low speed range. You don't need a lot of power until you are turning a tiller or rotary mower, and even then your limit is the tractor size and capability, not the power. My old L185DT had 13.5 PTO horses, but it managed to run a 42" tiller, 60" brush hog and 6' rear blade. Either of your choices would be limited to about a 48" brush hog, and 5' rear blade. You'll lose traction before power with either one. The 185 had manual steering. As soon as you are moving the least amount it is easy to steer. With the tractor off, it was much easier to turn the wheels than the L3200 is. I wouldn't worry about it.
So try the 7400 for a year - you won't lose very much if you then sell it.

carls4ncar

Nov 4, 2014
Inchelium Washington
Thanks for the input. I am just northwest of you in Inchelium Washington. We can get quite a bit of snow up there. Do you think I could run a snow blower with it having 12.5 PTO HP? I guess if not I could use it for awhile with the bucket and eventually trade it up for one that could blow snow.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have a 4' snow blower that I used with my L185DT. Problem was it is rear mount, and my geared transmission had reverse equal to 3rd or 7th. 3rd was maybe too slow, but 7th was way faster than you want to back up. With hydrostatic transmission, that should not be a problem. Horespower was not a problem. I'm sending you a PM about it.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I'm with the gents who say the 7400 is the answer.
I was in your position 4 years ago when I opted for a used L1801 over a brand new machine, just wish it had 100hours like your opportunity!
Sure you gotta fix a used machine a bit more but the $8000 difference you're saving goes a long way.

I'm now looking for an upgrade as I want more power and I will get back damn near every penny I put into this tractor. You will to whether you sell in a years time or 3+ years from now. Nothing holds value quite like guns and tractors!

BXman98

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 MMM rear blade
Oct 20, 2014
St.Albans VT
Hello Everybody.

I have a 2013 Kubota BX2370 without the FEL but we did buy the 60" MMM and my father and i both love it. We are going to be bringing the tractor to the dealer this afternoon to get the FEL put on tomorrow and we are gonna go and pick it up tomorrow afternoon and I hope that it will be a big help for us. But when the tractor is up to full throttle it seems to me that it has more than enough power for a tractor that size. You will love it if you decide to get one.

carls4ncar

Nov 4, 2014
Inchelium Washington
Thanks for all the input and advice. I struck a final deal with my buddy, 7k for the B7400. I will try it out for awhile and see if it works for me and if not I can sell it and get something more powerful later. I think it will be a good starter tractor. I can't wait to get it and start working with it. Thanks again, everybody.

carls4ncar

Nov 4, 2014
Inchelium Washington
My friend drug his feet all winter on selling me his B7400 and I got tired of waiting and the more I thought about it I was not too excited about it being so under powered and the lack of power steering so I bought a new B2620 from Issaquah Honda Kubota (nice folks by the way). It is going to be delivered on Friday. Can't wait to start working with it. Thanks for all the input.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My friend drug his feet all winter on selling me his B7400 and I got tired of waiting and the more I thought about it I was not too excited about it being so under powered and the lack of power steering so I bought a new B2620 from Issaquah Honda Kubota (nice folks by the way). It is going to be delivered on Friday. Can't wait to start working with it. Thanks for all the input.
I see that you moved up a notch - from the BX to the B - did you get the FEL too?

I think you will be so excited once you get on your new machine that all the rest really will not matter.

Get ready to kick yourself for not getting one sooner! :D:) - You will love that machine and being new, you will take every precaution when it comes to regular maintenance. Read you manual upside down and backwards, leave no page unread, and that ol girl will last ............forever !:)

Get ready to add a few goodies too............lights, toothbar, etc! :D:)