2 questions BX2200

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Question 1- If I overfilled the transmission case by what I think is about a quart, is that a big deal?

Question 2- occasionally, when we try to start it, the starter does nothing. When it's happened in the past, I thought maybe the battery was low, so I put the start charger on it and it fired right up, but the other day, we were out in the timber and it happened. I went back the next day with my vehicle and jumpers, but decided to try it before I jumped it. It fired right up. It's happened cold and hot. Wiring? Solenoid? Starter? Hmmm.... Any ideas?

Thanks
David

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
oh, and we've wiggled the shift lever to no avail, though on other occasions, when we wiggled it, it would start.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Question 1- If I overfilled the transmission case by what I think is about a quart, is that a big deal?

Question 2- occasionally, when we try to start it, the starter does nothing. When it's happened in the past, I thought maybe the battery was low, so I put the start charger on it and it fired right up, but the other day, we were out in the timber and it happened. I went back the next day with my vehicle and jumpers, but decided to try it before I jumped it. It fired right up. It's happened cold and hot. Wiring? Solenoid? Starter? Hmmm.... Any ideas?

Thanks
David
David,

Question 1 - Should not be a problem. If it doesn't blow out through the vent when warm, it will be OK.

Question 2 - Try checking the fuel shut off solenoid. Sometimes the return spring gets weak or breaks. Push back toward the solenoid and see if it starts easier. The return spring on my B2350 broke a couple weeks ago. My budget will not allow the $130.00 to replace it. I just attached a small spring to it and is works just fine.

How many hours on your BX, just asking.

Dave

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Could be a bad battery cable ground connection. Clean the battery ground cable where it connects to the frame. A bad ground will cause a multitude of problems.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Dave-
We bought it used a couple of months ago. Has about 6000 hours. Really should have purchased a compact instead of a sub-compact, but a- my sig other had never been on a tractor, b- we have 20A of timber full of multi-flora roses and hedge and gooseberries that we needed to get started cleaning up, c- it was available, and d- it was in the budget. We work it fairly hard, digging out roses and dragging trees around. We use it to mow yard, so it's a PITA getting the deck on and off all the time, so we leave it on too often. It's a great little tractor. We need to get a 1 bottom plow, a spreader, a sprayer, an aerator (big-assed yard) a bush hog or flail mower, a blade, and maybe a snow blower. I want to get a backhoe and some other things. lol. But we really need something 40-50 hp, partly for the power and partly for the extra weight. Then again, I don't want something too big for mowing.
I grew up on 2 cylinder green tractors and a couple of Farmall H's. Really grown attached to this thing. My brother-in-law is more of a farmboy than me. He bought a bigger Kubota several years ago and always carries on about how much he likes it. I know why now- this is a great little "tractor"

The fuel shut off solenoid wouldn't stop it from cranking, would it?

Thanks
David

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Dave-
We bought it used a couple of months ago. Has about 6000 hours. Really should have purchased a compact instead of a sub-compact, but a- my sig other had never been on a tractor, b- we have 20A of timber full of multi-flora roses and hedge and gooseberries that we needed to get started cleaning up, c- it was available, and d- it was in the budget. We work it fairly hard, digging out roses and dragging trees around. We use it to mow yard, so it's a PITA getting the deck on and off all the time, so we leave it on too often. It's a great little tractor. We need to get a 1 bottom plow, a spreader, a sprayer, an aerator (big-assed yard) a bush hog or flail mower, a blade, and maybe a snow blower. I want to get a backhoe and some other things. lol. But we really need something 40-50 hp, partly for the power and partly for the extra weight. Then again, I don't want something too big for mowing.
I grew up on 2 cylinder green tractors and a couple of Farmall H's. Really grown attached to this thing. My brother-in-law is more of a farmboy than me. He bought a bigger Kubota several years ago and always carries on about how much he likes it. I know why now- this is a great little "tractor"

The fuel shut off solenoid wouldn't stop it from cranking, would it?

Thanks
David
David,

Last question - No, it would not. Check the Safety switch on the seat, the neutral safety switch on the hydro pedal, safety switch on the PTO, and as others have said check ALL the ground connections. Also, possibly an ignition switch going bad, but I doubt it.

With a little patience, your BX will handle just about anything you can throw at it. Learn and remember that it DOES have limitations.

I hope you find the trouble and that it is an easy fix.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Rentthis gave advise good for anyone who has a tractor (or other machine) that gives all the indications of a bad battery.

The ground connection from the battery cable to the tractor frame gets corroded over time and needs to be removed and cleaned to the metal on the connector and the frame.

A little bit of time saves a lot of grief!!

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Apparently, we just need to wiggle everything to make sure the safety switches are not causing it. lol

selectcut

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 1, 2016
Wales,MI,USA
Dggott,

Does it just click when you hit the key. I have a BX2200 mine did this even with a brand new battery and come to find out it was the safety switch on the PTO engage lever.

Hope you figure it out

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
yep.

I always wiggled the transmission lever before but didn't always work. Now I wiggle it and pto and it seems to be working

Is the click just the glow plugs? how long should one wait once it gets colder? will the light indicate? It doesn't really now.

thanks

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
the weird thing, though, thinking back.... when it wouldn't start before, I assumed it was the battery and put the charger on it. It always started then. I've cleaned the ground, so if that was it, it shouldn't be now. That's about the only thing that makes sense, isn't it?